The Heavy

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What I think is interesting about the heavy is how immediate it is; immediate in the same way the emotional impact of a pop song is but typically left out of pop music. I think the bassline of this kate bush song is traditionally heavy but I cant think of many examples

why would you post that when you can post this. stick up for your own music dawg, stop fiddling with british perverts.

fucking fan-tas-tic, much better than that stupid warbling degenerate who can't hold a tune to save this pitiful islands life.

shakahislop

pre-lightning bolt, more diffuse, but that also means a greater focus on mutant punk-funk on crystal meth. corrigated blocks smashing into your chest.

i had no idea mindflayer involved the lightning bolt geezer, though its obvious now that you mention it. love this one. which i think while not a perfect example, at least not as dead on as the metal stuff (its no surprise that the metal stuff is the easiest example since i'd hazard a guess that this is where the term heavy comes from in the first place), it still does still have the heaviness in that shuddering bass and drum groove thing i think

woops

is not like other people
6n1tfl.jpg

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i had no idea mindflayer involved the lightning bolt geezer, though its obvious now that you mention it. love this one. which i think while not a perfect example, at least not as dead on as the metal stuff (its no surprise that the metal stuff is the easiest example since i'd hazard a guess that this is where the term heavy comes from in the first place), it still does still have the heaviness in that shuddering bass and drum groove thing i think

i mean eyehategod of course, but i just cba with the vocals. Which is of course what you were saying upthread. As a black pop music fan its borderline impossible to take metal vocals seriously. when I was listening to metal in uni i would convince myself they were just texture/another instrument. Which is disingenuous really.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I tend to detest this division between clever/intellectual music and gut level music. I think this is a middle class self-loathing coping mechanism. All music can be intellectual and visceral, well, maybe not serialism, but those lads wanted to escape any kind of repetition.

shakahislop

This is like extreme doom but with all the distortion replaced by blank, ringing space:

yeah i hadn't made that connection. if you took away the singing and ran those guitars through a few more pedals it would sound a lot like doom. there is something about slowness i think that creates that heavy feeling. probably not a coincidence that both doom and slowcore came around at the same time given that they both involve lads with guitars and increasingly plentiful pedals in - i think i'm right in saying - places far away from capital cities

on a geographical note to add to the historical, all of this does seem to be quite an anglo thing, certainly for the originators. it's hard to think of african or south asia south america, which are places which really have done modern-era musical innovation in my book, equivalents of the heavy thing. though obviously if you try to talk about the entire planet you're bound to have blind spots.

i don't think this counts as heavy though, if we are trying to find its boundaries.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Im not talking about genres I literally am just talking about when songs use loud bass tones with the mids turned down and the treble turned up in conjunction with a certain set of usually lurching rhythms. I didnt want to say that because now the mystique is gone.
this is very reductive, but...

sound with bass frequencies = weighty object
loud sound with bass frequencies = weighty object imposing its weightiness on you: crushing, or comfortingly enveloping like a weighted blanket
taking out the distracting obfuscation of midrange and adding a sense of slowness or encumberedness of motion are ways to suppliment and intensify this quality, approaching the ideal of The Heavy

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is very reductive, but...

sound with bass frequencies = weighty object
loud sound with bass frequencies = weighty object imposing its weightiness on you: crushing, or enveloping like a weighted blanket
taking out the distracting obfuscation of midrange and adding a sense of slowness or encumberedness of motion are ways to suppliment and intensify this quality, approaching the ideal of The Heavy

But metal is all midrange! Or to be more correct, it is the midrange frequencies that give the illusion of heaviness. You also have this in a lot of early 90s hardcore techno. There is bass, but it augments blaring midrange.

shakahislop

i mean eyehategod of course, but i just cba with the vocals. Which is of course what you were saying upthread. As a black pop music fan its borderline impossible to take metal vocals seriously. when I was listening to metal in uni i would convince myself they were just texture/another instrument. Which is disingenuous really.
i think we've talked about eyehategod before. for whatever reason i find his screaming convincing most of the time. it sounds a bit like he's being sick.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But metal is all midrange! Or to be more correct, it is the midrange frequencies that give the illusion of heaviness. You also have this in a lot of early 90s hardcore techno. There is bass, but it augments blaring midrange.

a handy way to view the transition from 91-92-93 is to see the reintroduction of bass as the predominating element, hence it running at half time.