luka

luka

I still can't believe Craner hasn't seen Thief.

Look at it!

7dcda5503a15e8f5f5a09b2911ee753e.jpg
i just finished watching it pretty good. good recommendation. you recommended sourcerer too and that was good.

luka

I still can't believe Craner hasn't seen Thief.

Look at it!

7dcda5503a15e8f5f5a09b2911ee753e.jpg
i just looked up michael manns filmography assuming its full of undervalued gems like this and the other classic, manhunter, but actually its a right load of shit. will smith as mohhamed ali, daniel day lewis as a red indian, 'miami vice'....

version

i just looked up michael manns filmography assuming its full of undervalued gems like this and the other classic, manhunter, but actually its a right load of shit. will smith as mohhamed ali, daniel day lewis as a red indian, 'miami vice'....

Thief is easily my favourite, but Manhunter, Heat and Collateral are good too; Ali looks good but Smith isn't; Last of the Mohicans is terrible.

luka

will smith as a heavyweight boxer is a ridiculous concept. i might watch heat though im fairly certain it will be silly.

version

I like him, but he's also a sort of elevated 'dad' filmmaker. His films look great, but you can imagine middle-aged guys who read Tom Clancy thinking they're the greatest films of all time. All about tough, professional men robbing banks and pursuing each other.

version

He's also got very naff taste in music: Moby, Groove Armada, Audioslave. It's bizarre that he went from Tangerine Dream and the stuff in the original Miami Vice to that sort of thing.

version

Miami Vice was awful and I've seen apparently intelligent ppl defending it online

It's had a reappraisal and people hail it as genius nowadays.

I need to rewatch it. I saw it when it came out and all I can remember is the final shootout being absolutely deafening in the cinema.

version

Miami Vice was awful and I've seen apparently intelligent ppl defending it online

" ... still the peak of digital photography in movies? NOTHING else looks like this. This is one of the most lyrical, abstract and oblique films to come out of Hollywood. German expressionism gone digital - of course this puzzled many when it first came out, Mann is like a silent filmmaker here - pictures tell us a story before actors do. Moods are denoted by shades of colours in neon. And whole pools, waves of emotions revealed by the near-abstraction in the formations of a cloud."