wild greens

I thought it was quite obvious that the "identifying as a cat" story is a blatant wind-up

There was a follow-up in the times "there are a group of kids identifying as a pack of wolves"

These kids are taking the piss

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
In a way it's weirdly like the original Ali G interviews, insofar as politicians and other public figures are being obliged to give straight and sincere answers to obviously stupid questions because questioning the basis for what someone is asking you to comment on is somehow against the rules of British public life. Except that there the joke was on the interview subjects and the audience were in on it. Now it's just being used to establish this total fiction as some sort of agreed truth.

mixed_biscuits

a) As stated before the problem was the teacher's unprofessional and massively overzealous reaction. You can't do a constructive expulsion of your pupils - you'd get in serious trouble even if the kid had set someone's blazer on fire

b) There seems to have been a new more sensible heuristic introduced here as a necessary by-product of the only possible defence: IF kid tells you something that is unusual and would have important repercussions THEN disbelieve them/don't take them seriously because they are a kid; wait until they are adult and things will more than likely revert. Those who are in favour of transitioning minors are now bound to apply this more sensible heuristic rather than the old one which was: IF child wants to change their apparent biological state THEN foist this change on them as soon as you can.

The sex/gender thing is hopelessly confused. Feminists introduced the distinction to highlight the narrowness of available social roles but gender is useless as a free-floating signifier that can mean anything. At this point, if someone says that they are a particular gender they cannot be shown to be wrong, there is no falsifiability, no objectivity, no science, so it has to be binned. Furthermore, why do people have to undergo a sex change in order to change gender if gender is completely flexible and socially constructed? By doing so, you're just reinforcing stereotypical sex roles.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
At this point, if someone says that they are a particular gender they cannot be shown to be wrong, there is no falsifiability, no objectivity, no science, so it has to be binned.
There's no need to falsify claims about gender. Gender is a non-scientific cultural category. If that alone suffices for you to eliminate gender, then you accept no alternative to science, thus you submit to scientism. And scientism is a non-starter for me, and most people who believe in gender.

Why would it ever matter that no one can prove me wrong when I identify as male? If I identify as heterosexual, would you try to prove that I don't actually like women? Even a virgin can still claim he likes women and no one can dispute that he has that preference. We don't need to be right about someone's gender, we need to trust that person and their self-identifications. Anything less amounts to disrespect.

Gender is intersubjective, not objective or subjective. A person counts as a member of their gender only if other people accept that they exhibit behaviors definitive of their gender. It makes no sense to say someone is wrong about their gender identifications. The most you can say is that you don't accept their identity. And when everyone else accepts a person as say, a transgender woman, but you reject them as such, we have reason to believe you're just disrespecting that person and distrusting them to further your political ends. Gender is a social construct, and thus, a matter of persons, not facts. If you refuse to accept who a person is when they show you, authentically who they are, you're just disrespectful.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's no need to falsify claims about gender. Gender is a non-scientific cultural category. If that alone suffices for you to eliminate gender, then you accept no alternative to science, thus you submit to scientism. And scientism is a non-starter for me, and most people who believe in gender.

Why would it ever matter that no one can prove me wrong when I identify as male? If I identify as heterosexual, would you try to prove that I don't actually like women? Even a virgin can still claim he likes women and no one can dispute that he has that preference. We don't need to be right about someone's gender, we need to trust that person and their self-identifications. Anything less amounts to disrespect.

Gender is intersubjective, not objective or subjective. A person counts as a member of their gender only if other people accept that they exhibit behaviors definitive of their gender. It makes no sense to say someone is wrong about their gender identifications. The most you can say is that you don't accept their identity. And when everyone else accepts a person as say, a transgender woman, but you reject them as such, we have reason to believe you're just disrespecting that person and distrusting them to further your political ends. Gender is a social construct, and thus, a matter of persons, not facts. If you refuse to accept who a person is when they show you, authentically who they are, you're just disrespectful.
Thank heavens you're here to get the thread back on track!

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
Thank heavens you're here to get the thread back on track!
Right? Judith Butler to the rescue once again. Any one who thinks "gender ideology" has nothing to do with countering the right wing war against queerness hasn't done their homework.

luka

are there any interesting explanations endorsed by the correctly thinking people for the rise in trans kids? or do they just say it's because it's more accepted?
don't they say it's 90% autistics? or have i been unwittingly exposed to some right wing talking point? they do look autistic most of the new ones i see bopping about. walk on their toes and that.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
don't they say it's 90% autistics? or have i been unwittingly exposed to some right wing talking point?
My understanding, from a couple seminars I watched, is that people diagnosed with ASDs are statistically more likely to identify in gender fluid or non-binary fashions. My cousin was assigned female at birth and was diagnosed with autism as a child and, for the last six or seven years, has identified as a man and has been undergoing some kind of gender affirming medication or some such.

luka

oh. maybe should delete that based on that reponse.
edit. too late stan has captured it.