ghost

And what do you do to combat the manosphere?
An addendum so maybe he'll stop adding this to every post—

I've shied away from making claims about what I've done or habitually do. While I seek to be virtuous, and think I'm doing good things in the world, I don't think it's befitting to brag about it. The important thing about feminism is not me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Two things here:
- Black Power is not the same as anti-racism or pro-blackness. I have never argued that white people can't be anti-racist, only that their actions can't constitute Black Power.
- I was not saying that the actions of white people can't be "supportive of Black Power", I'm saying that white people can't do black power.

This is the core of my argument here—that there's a substantial difference between support—whether theoretical or material—and claims of membership. In my conception, what matters is the support—whether someone is or is not doing beneficial work in the world. What

This is not what I have claimed. Let's check the record:

I have to ask—why is malelesbian unable to understand that I am differentiating membership and identity from helping people?

I bring this up specifically because "malelesbian" has continually shown a desire to produce his identity out of the social position of the feminine, and to co-opt the legitimacy of feminist movements towards his own sense of self. I think that's a little sus, if he's going to keep identifying as a straight, cisgender man!

I say that a man can support feminist ideas and projects among other men. It is strange and confounding that this is not enough for you, and that they must also be given an identity label as well.

I feel constantly in this conversation like I am engaging with the Gish Gallop. I'm forced to regularly make decisions like "should I double down on my original points until they make it through this man's thick skull, or should I point out how cartoonishly racist it is to say, unsolicited, that hip hop is dominated by a culture of misogyny." And—I disagree. Gender segregation is everywhere it shows up a way to enforce misogyny; having good relationships with women is the opposite of this.

And finally, the tour de force:

This paragraph feels like the final boss of the malelesbian copypasta. I would like to remind that I am not claiming to be a feminist—I in fact think neither of us are capable of satisfying the role. So with that in mind…

The phrase "If you were a real feminist you would know that being a feminist is just a part of who you are." is an incredible one, because it encapsulates the worldview: "feminism" is a kind of unquantifiable essence, that by claiming the identity of, will spontaneously change the world. This is the "little merit badge" I'm referring to. I am in fact interested in feminism—I just think that constructing my identity around it would be a kind of narcissistic seizure of a concept that belongs to other people.

"If you are a real feminist, then feminism is part of your lifestyle and worldview." Here it is again—lifestyle, you're once again reducing feminism to a kind of consumer ready-to-wear identity, an off-the-shelf positioning that gives you the ability to gatekeep. Your self-proclaimed feminism is, in practice, a cudgel that you use to establish your own credibility.

And yet—with all that thunder, all that noise—the sole contribution you name, your great act in support of women, the very truth of what makes you a feminist—is to "express yourself," or in other words, to perform an identity. This is exactly what I have been accusing you of—wanting a little merit badge, and not actually engaging in any actions that improve the lives of women except in the most speculative, circuitous, and ineffective ways.
I feel like I want to nominate you for some sort of Nobel Prize for Patience.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
This is the core of my argument here—that there's a substantial difference between support—whether theoretical or material—and claims of membership. In my conception, what matters is the support—whether someone is or is not doing beneficial work in the world.
Yes and representing femininity does count as support because it gets us closer to gender equality. I get that this is not the same thing as changing institutions, systems or material conditions. It doesn't have to be. Again, the issue is that femininity is underrepresented. Thus, representing femininity does count as theoretical support.
I have to ask—why is malelesbian unable to understand that I am differentiating membership and identity from helping people?
Probably because I specified multiple times that the feminine behaviors that constitute my identity are altruistic actions that do help people.
I bring this up specifically because "malelesbian" has continually shown a desire to produce his identity out of the social position of the feminine, and to co-opt the legitimacy of feminist movements towards his own sense of self. I think that's a little sus, if he's going to keep identifying as a straight, cisgender man!
There you go again with your gender essentialism. I am a queer, non-binary cisheterosexual man. My pronouns are he/they. My point has been that any person of any gender can benefit feminine culture. Any person can represent femininity and contribute feminism in that way at least.

The idea that I'm using "the legitimacy of feminist movements" as a means to boost my ego is a total strawman. Anti-phallic behavior is entirely opposed to boosting one's self of self, it is all about helping others. So if I'm am feminine, that is, anti-phallic, then I would never use my femininity as an ego boost.

I say that a man can support feminist ideas and projects among other men. It is strange and confounding that this is not enough for you, and that they must also be given an identity label as well.
So men can support feminist ideas only if they come from women? More essentialism. My point is that men have feminine experiences that they can represent and that they can create their own feminist theories. If men can promote feminine culture and theorize about feminism, then they can do feminism in the minimal way relevant to my view.

We feminine men need an identity label because we need a way to differentiate ourselves from trads. It's not like I'm calling myself a feminist to compliment myself.
I feel constantly in this conversation like I am engaging with the Gish Gallop. I'm forced to regularly make decisions like "should I double down on my original points until they make it through this man's thick skull, or should I point out how cartoonishly racist it is to say, unsolicited, that hip hop is dominated by a culture of misogyny."
If you don't understand the phallocentrism rampant in hip hop, you don't understand hip hop. Why do you think they hate gay men so much? Why do you think so many female rappers are hyper-sexual phallocrats? I love hip hop. I'm a part of hip hop, the culture. It's racist to ignore how much misogyny is present in hip hop. What, you think black people don't know any better?
And—I disagree. Gender segregation is everywhere it shows up a way to enforce misogyny; having good relationships with women is the opposite of this.
Maybe so, but interactions between genders also enforce misogyny. Having good relationships doesn't mean your relationships aren't based around your own self-interest. Unless by good relationships you mean altruistic ones. And you know, you have a minor point: having strictly platonic friendships with women does count as an example of feminine, non-phallic behavior. But getting in touch with your feminine side is still worth doing.
The phrase "If you were a real feminist you would know that being a feminist is just a part of who you are." is an incredible one, because it encapsulates the worldview: "feminism" is a kind of unquantifiable essence, that by claiming the identity of, will spontaneously change the world. This is the "little merit badge" I'm referring to. I am in fact interested in feminism—I just think that constructing my identity around it would be a kind of narcissistic seizure of a concept that belongs to other people.
I never claimed that feminism is essential to my identity, nor did I claim that identifying as a feminist would "spontaneously change the world" (no one would claim that). Feminism is an ongoing, lifelong process. I'm fallible. I can fail to contribute to feminism. But I aim to behave in ways beneficial to feminism. My dedication and commitment to that goal are not essential, they are efforts I attempt to repeat consistently. Achieving the goal of contributing to feminism has nothing to do with my self-image or ego. Again, you're falling into ad hominem attacks. You're attacking me as a person, not my argument.

I am not constructing my identity around feminism, I am constructing my identity around femininity. That is to say, I am feminine, I enjoy being feminine, and I will remain feminine. I have made the additional point that expressing this femininity in art and discourse can help contribute to feminism. Suppose I've failed to contribute to feminism. Ok, well, I will still promote feminine culture. You're too hung up on the label of feminist. What's more important is representing and promoting feminine culture. I am interested in the concrete practice of encouraging men to express femininity.

The fact that you think that feminism can't belong to you is a glaring example of your essentialism. There is nothing in feminism that says men can't be a part of it. You think "feminist" is an identity category, when it is really a theory and practice. I have a theory of feminism. You don't. I practice feminism by means of feminine behaviors that help others and build communities. Why is that not enough for you?
"If you are a real feminist, then feminism is part of your lifestyle and worldview." Here it is again—lifestyle, you're once again reducing feminism to a kind of consumer ready-to-wear identity, an off-the-shelf positioning that gives you the ability to gatekeep. Your self-proclaimed feminism is, in practice, a cudgel that you use to establish your own credibility.
By "lifestyle" all I meant was that you have to practice feminism in your everyday life. If I identify as a feminist, it is only because I perform actions that contribute to feminism. I identify as a feminist because I created a feminist theory for example. No one is saying you can label yourself a feminist without doing the work of feminism.

If anything gives me the ability to gatekeep, it's that I understand Butler and Irigaray and you don't. I've studied feminism and you haven't. And you say I don't support women enough! I atleast support them enough to actually read their books.

Why do I need to use feminism to establish my own credibility? That's non-sense. I studied philosophy for 10 years, I use that to establish my credibility.

And yet—with all that thunder, all that noise—the sole contribution you name, your great act in support of women, the very truth of what makes you a feminist—is to "express yourself," or in other words, to perform an identity. This is exactly what I have been accusing you of—wanting a little merit badge, and not actually engaging in any actions that improve the lives of women except in the most speculative, circuitous, and ineffective ways.
I don't understand why you think helping others doesn't improve the lives of women. I've said time and time against that the main non-phallic behavior is helping people. Expressing femininity means alleviating the suffering of others and building relationship, growing communties. When I help people, I perform a feminine identity. So you're wrong to say that performing a feminine identity doesn't help people. And it makes no sense to say that an identity is a merit badge. You're asssuming an identity is a passive state. Wrong. Behaviors define identity. So to say that I'm not doing anything helpful by identifying as feminine misses the point entirely. I only identify as feminine because I perform actions that help people. If I deserve an honorific for anything, it's for helping people, not for labeling myself a feminist. In a way, you're right, it doesn't matter who is or isn't a feminist, what matters is helping people.

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
An addendum so maybe he'll stop adding this to every post—

I've shied away from making claims about what I've done or habitually do. While I seek to be virtuous, and think I'm doing good things in the world, I don't think it's befitting to brag about it. The important thing about feminism is not me.
I'm not asking you to brag about it, I'm asking you to recommend a strategy for fighting the manosphere. Having good relationships doesn't work because the manosphere caters to men living in social isolation.

And yes, the important thing in feminism is not you, the important thing is other people. I contribute to feminism because I help other people.

CorpseysEvilTwin

@malelesbian oi ya west end thespian yer hoppin' pot should have cancelled róisín Murphy in 1994 fer bein' an utter melt and coming out with this forest gump travesty of a chat up line: 'Do you like my tight sweater? See how it fits my body'

banning feminism kills roath birds with one stone, yer see.
1) kills transphobes on this forum. result. Complete hampton supremacy.
2) kills Alan labb chewing the fat up and making a tit of 'emselves. result.
3) kills push n shove fer róısín Murphy. Result.
ROATH) Kills you, result.

You see? It's more profitable not be a feminist, especially if we wan attract gooseberries with sanity 'n' intellect here.

CorpseysEvilTwin

I'm not asking you to brag about it, I'm asking you to recommend a strategy for fighting the manosphere. Having good relationships doesn't work because the manosphere caters to men living in social isolation.

And yes, the important thing in feminism is not you, the important thing is other people. I contribute to feminism because I help other people.

oh, gertcha! Thee deserve be lonely. in land of septics yer NOT ON the nelly, get bullied by gooseberries, , that's fridge freezer's problem. it generates spastic narcissistic bin lids with hyperfixated obsessions. ya ain't no iron hoof so get dominated by dominatrix. simples!

sus

Bahamas is closer for your Robin Hood self ya can easily visit family and keep a corporate office in florida. ScapaFlow ter yer Kathy Burke in america, take a twenny Cock Linnet flight Pope in Rome and Beechams Pill never be considered as residin' in the bloody states. plus bahama nah taxes. croatia Robin Hood Candle Wax rates but they don’t beat zero. slovenia never in picture. bahamas makes more Eighteen Pence. ya can score a Hoppin' Pot for a Farmer's Daughter 'ectare on the chuffin' beach on the sand for 500-600 bees. ya will move and start lookin' for beachfront property ter build playboy mansion on the sand. nah Rum & Coke beachfront property 'evven and 'ell cheap bahamas. cheaper than mexico, incomparable ter canada, or europe. nah people in bahamas tons of beach and nah taxes. plus caribbean butch West End Thespian Vera Lynn 'n' blisters 're Peas in a Pot, ScapaFlow, catch sum Lilian Gish brin' it Pope in Rome for 'er ter Babblin' Brook up for the Lousy Brahn. take a Nanny Goat ter jamaica ter pick up the 'erbal medication
That's not true, the Bahamas are significantly more expensive than Mexico, island nations are notoriously pricey for obvious import/export reasons

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You can drop thirty bucks on a rack of Corona in the Bahamas, no problem.
Could you help out those of us who perversely insist on enumerating bottles of beer using a system as inefficient and illogical as integers?

• Haha
Reactions: sus

mixed_biscuits

@IdleRich Your thread hasn't come a moment too soon. What our friend here is saying is that when people start calling you names they are actually changing fundamental things about your identity in the same way that if i call Kate Moss an ugly fat whale that's what she is (no fatphobo)

mixed_biscuits

Well that's just biological determinism. Social constructionists like me or Butler reject that. Culture is irreducible to nature. The humanities don't reduce to natural science. Again the claim is one about meaning, not existence. Matter composes all cultural artifacts, but science alone cannot understand the meaning of a cultural artifact. Yes the cosmetic makeup a woman puts on her face is made up of "natural" materials. But the scientific analysis of these materials doesn't help us interpret what it means for a woman to wear makeup in society. Yes, science shows us the limits of our ability to express culture using our bodies. But science can't tell us that, for example, a man with a limp wrist is seen as gay by the majority of society. So our bodies can express more cultural meaning than science gives us the conceptual resources to understand.
The constraints of biological facticity show themselves in the sizeable set of cultural practices that are shared by EVERY culture ever, and by the much larger set of cultural practices not present in ANY culture ever, some of which may nevertheless may be present in other species' 'culture'.

mixed_biscuits

When we actually achieve gender equality in our society. Then we will live not in a patriarchy or matriarchy, but an androgynarchy, a society ruled by both men and women. I don't know what empirical material conditions we need to satisfy to realize a gender-equal society, but I know that it helps to increase and improve representation of marginalized groups, like feminine people.
Testosterone levels have been declining for a while, leading to more feminised behaviour, but not leading to men being perceived as female by the 'community'. By your lights shouldn't this have happened?

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

I'll consider going on Pinterest or Tumblr. But those are massive sites. The point is neither of us can name any particular site, not even a site part of Pinterest or Tumblr, that represents feminine culture.

And besides, my goal is to promote feminine culture on this site, right here. I don't see why you oppose my efforts.

I ask again, what do you do to promote non-phallic culture?
You are right. If Dissensus falls, every site falls. But surely to achieve this you should be posting crochet patterns, fan fiction, and customised jewellery rather than inspecting Lacan's Phallus.

IdleRich

IdleRich
@Mr. Tea is this really what you want?

@IdleRich Your thread hasn't come a moment too soon. What our friend here is saying is that when people start calling you names they are actually changing fundamental things about your identity in the same way that if i call Kate Moss an ugly fat whale that's what she is (no fatphobo)
I really couldn't give this post any credence whatsoever once you started claiming to have a friend.

mixed_biscuits

'gender: Non-technically, a synonym for sex. More specifically, especially in feminist psychology, the behavioural, social and cultural attributes associated with sex.'

That's kinda arbitrary but fine as it goes but divorcing those attributes from sex and pretending that they can, ghost-like, become unmoored from their origin and inhabit other entities is the idea which is somewhat historico-culturally anomalous and philosophically unjustified.