DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

everyone at time out seems to LOVE kode 9s album - they voted it the 2nd best album of the year:
http://www.timeout.com/london/music/features/2386.html
no one liked burial it seems (i would have put that one over kode 9s album personally)

biggest surprise to me is how highly most of them rate the rapture cd...never seemed to be much buzz on it here in the states and you can find it all over the used bins.

i was also still a little surprised with burial at #1 in the wire, but then i listened to it again last night and it is pretty cool, really sounds like nothing else. in a weird way, i almost wish he'd leave it at that and not make a followup which could tarnish this perfect thing, go out on top, etc....ok, that's stupid and i certainly hope he continues to record, but maybe retire the name and put stuff out under another "brand"?

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
New blog post on me blog. merry christmas all!
Thanks Blackdown. That's a lot of information to digest. I particularly like the bit about Appleblim and Basic Channels production approaches and the possibility of borrowing their techniques/ approaches to music in dubstep. (I am a huge fan of basic channel)

Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
anyone reach the dmz xmas bash?? great sets from all, especially mr 9 , find a way, konfusion and all those new bits sounding amazing on that system... plasticman was sick even though he was playing out to perhaps 10 people tops at 5am ... respect!

mos dan

fact music
anyone reach the dmz xmas bash?? great sets from all, especially mr 9 , find a way, konfusion and all those new bits sounding amazing on that system... plasticman was sick even though he was playing out to perhaps 10 people tops at 5am ... respect!

prob the most fun i've had at a dubstep rave all year, redstar sessions aside. being back in 3rd base was fantastic. the room is just perfect for dubstep, end of.

aside from nine the highlight for me was a mala tune that just filled me with xmas vibes - apparently it's an alicia keys remix he played at dmz leeds as well.

also - i was one of those 10! god i was tired by then: plastic kept playing sick tunes tho, i couldn't leave.

mms

sometimes

mr nine was very very good, skream came out with a set of almst totally generic dance music, or at least dubstep that had encompassed all the generic run of the mill aspects of very bland dancemusic.... until, he dropped that last track which was the track of the night, and one of the best dubstep tracks ever, he can fucking do it so well when he does it!

loefah and mala get move in more opposite directions than ever before, mala getting soulful with alot of rare groovey samples etc.. loefah getting deeper and more rugged. superb but a strange gap to reconcile, next year will be interesting. nine's set lead the way though, he needs to get a later set, things need to switch up fast.

throughsilver

Nice to see a hasty retort- but one point (which ive made elsewhere and will reiterate)
---Trip Hop will be one of the few 90s scenes to be positively redeemed in the next ten years, obviously not all of it, and the uber-generic downtempo chillout chin stroking nonsense least of all, but the cream of it is easily up there with the best music of the decade.
Agreed. In fact, the maligned Guardian blogger wasn't all that far off in his comparisons, as I hear a fair bit of 1996 Tricky and even (a less smooth) 1998 Massive Attack in some Dubstep I hear. It's that dubby influence, claustrophobic atmosphere and dense mix that does it.

People are too quick to get with the 'HE JUST SAID BURIAL WAS LIKE MORCHEEBA!' righteous indignation. Anyway, the more stuff like 'Majestic Visions' that I hear, the more positive a future I see for Dubstep. That stuff's fucking brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.