DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omen Voodoo clash with world music

The Undisputed Truth says he made a mashup of a Loefah tune with native american mucic and gave this shortcut for you to listen to it: http://storeandserve.com/download/653854/theres_a_fire_deep_in_the_voodoo_magic_hill.mp3.html

But you can't actually listen to it from that page. Do you have to sign up as a member to storeandserve to listen to stuff as well as upload them? Cause I'd be really interested in hearing that tune, as I've just bought the original 12".

www.darksidesophistication.com Dubstep Community Blog launch article Monday 15th

www.myspace.com/owengriffithsbelfast

synaptic

Global multinuum
I've got a blurred memory of Mystikz saying in an interview something like "dubstep is not just slowed dnb, it's not the same frequencies, etc."
It was 2 years ago on the web and i never recovered it, so now i'm almost not sure anymore if it was Mystikz…
Any ideas?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I've got a blurred memory of Mystikz saying in an interview something like "dubstep is not just slowed dnb, it's not the same frequencies, etc."
It was 2 years ago on the web and i never recovered it, so now i'm almost not sure anymore if it was Mystikz…
Any ideas?

yeah I'm pretty sure that was when mala and loefah did a guest slot on tayo's show on kiss. It was about a year ago I think?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Interested to see a dubstep night on at Fabric. However, its as the 2nd room to the usual Friday night D'n'B/Breaks nonsense. What would be more interesting would be a night with one room of minimal and one room of dubstep... until that happens the much mooted crossover will remain little more than a pipedream I suspect.

synaptic

Global multinuum
Thanks UFO, I was looking for it as a text but it might be an audio interview.
But it's apparently not in the Tayo one. I've listen to it twice and didn't find any related words… Still searching: it's not in that J da Flex itv (oct. 2004) neither.

elgato

I just dont know
Interested to see a dubstep night on at Fabric. However, its as the 2nd room to the usual Friday night D'n'B/Breaks nonsense. What would be more interesting would be a night with one room of minimal and one room of dubstep...

exactly what i thought. really good that theyve opened up to it, but i dont really like the idea of dubstep coming in the same bracket as DJ Hype, Krust and Pendulum, at all. Room 3 looks really good though.

what wouldve been quite interesting is if they'd done it with the Room 1 lineup on the 19th (Switch, Sinden etc), it might have worked a treat. really good to see that lot getting their dues too though

boomnoise

♫
Interested to see a dubstep night on at Fabric. However, its as the 2nd room to the usual Friday night D'n'B/Breaks nonsense. What would be more interesting would be a night with one room of minimal and one room of dubstep... until that happens the much mooted crossover will remain little more than a pipedream I suspect.

this might not be as far off as you think.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Well, no, its edging ever closer! Cos historically what gets played in room 1 vs room 2 has a BIG impact in dance music terms in creating later blends of different sounds (obvious example: Jungle/US Garage= 2step UK Garage). Who wants to start it up then? Its got to happen soon...;)

Also it would enable some of the more "freakish" elements of both sounds to be played out- ie at the last DMZ I got piss-bored listening to endless trudging half step, literally eyes-sagging on the dancefloor! What was missing was the more kinetic sounds (Shackleton being a prime example) where through heavy polyrhythmic percussion the feel of breakbeat is abandoned, and you could slip a 4/4 in or keep the kicks broken, it matters little. The lack of the kinetic end of dubstep being played out is massively irritating me at the moment...

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Well, no, its edging ever closer! Cos historically what gets played in room 1 vs room 2 has a BIG impact in dance music terms in creating later blends of different sounds (obvious example: Jungle/US Garage= 2step UK Garage). Who wants to start it up then? Its got to happen soon...;)

Also it would enable some of the more "freakish" elements of both sounds to be played out- ie at the last DMZ I got piss-bored listening to endless trudging half step, literally eyes-sagging on the dancefloor! What was missing was the more kinetic sounds (Shackleton being a prime example) where through heavy polyrhythmic percussion the feel of breakbeat is abandoned, and you could slip a 4/4 in or keep the kicks broken, it matters little. The lack of the kinetic end of dubstep being played out is massively irritating me at the moment...

kode 9 needs a prime time slot basically i reck.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes yes yes. What kind of venue would work with this idea?

The whole kinetic drums thing means that the difference between a villalobos and a Shackleton is little more than a kick pattern shift away (and the pesky matter of about 10-15 bpms)....

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I think equalliy valid would be a new self-conciously minoritarian night - one room but booking Kode 9, Pinch, Shackleton etc, with perhaps with early slots from DJs playing minimal minimal or more abstract material (as opposed to big room minimal a la Boka Shade which probably wouldn't work).

Speed was an example of this in the jungle days and brought change to the scene (I only use that as an example, I'm not making a point about sonics...)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes, I mean the key thing is to get thngs that work together and feed of each other... obviously Skream and Booka Shade don't merge well apart from as significant commercial draws...

The minoritarian angle is a good one, as in a sense there is quite a lot of interesting stuff in both scenes (tho I know more on the dubstep side) which doesn't seem to get played out, which is massively frustrating. And it is not that it is not danceable, indeed the melting away of obvious Kick/Snare patterns whilst counter-intuitive in many senses, creates lattices of drum-work which are much more free, and more exciting to move to, almost more natural to move to than a bass-kick grind.

elgato

I just dont know
its already happening though. pinch played with andy stott in bristol this week, and i imagine similar things will be in the pipeline, especially with the likes of appleblim and now peveralist on the scene in bristol. london will be different i reckon though, but its blatantly coming. ive seen them get played in the same parties, its just about drawing bigger names together

mms

sometimes
yeah, it looks like bristol is getting to the forefront on this first!

info for the andy stott vs. pinch this here.

it was happening years ago when rephlex has dubstep and grime people touring with others from the label all over the world, p-mu followed as well.
andy stott is kinda scrubbed up 90's idm is'nt he, good but not minimal and not groundbreaking.

went to fwd the other night, it was incredibly dull, the only thing that livned it up was plastician and skepta towards the end but it was a bit too late by then, lazy tiresome half step had killed the vibe, even loefahs stuff is beginning to sound tired.

elgato

I just dont know
it was happening years ago when rephlex has dubstep and grime people touring with others from the label all over the world, p-mu followed as well.
andy stott is kinda scrubbed up 90's idm is'nt he, good but not minimal and not groundbreaking.

what do you mean not minimal? seems like you must have a pretty restrictive idea of "minimal", do these not qualify?...

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=26178
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=26215
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF239284-01-01-03.mp3

went to fwd the other night, it was incredibly dull, the only thing that livned it up was plastician and skepta towards the end but it was a bit too late by then, lazy tiresome half step had killed the vibe, even loefahs stuff is beginning to sound tired.

i thought the first two sets were very average, but i thought loefah killed it, matter of opinion though obviously. plastician and skepta were unbelievable though, worth the price of admission for that alone

Status
Not open for further replies.