DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomos

Administrator
whatever happened to the 2-step renaissance? And vocals?
I don't know but I'm hoping to see some of this. Doesn't El-B have new material coming out? And is there really a Burial album forthcoming this year? In the Spannered interview kode9 is sounding about as fatigued with "the D" as ever. The new bass poetry project with Space Ape sounds like a real departure. I'm eager to hear more from Peverelist and to see what Shackleton has in store. There are some old school North Americans making really good dubby 2-step - DeepSix, G Notorius, Jason Mundo - but the only vinyl to come out is Mundo's "Still Stand Rasta."

echevarian

babylon sister
There are some old school North Americans making really good dubby 2-step - DeepSix, G Notorius, Jason Mundo - but the only vinyl to come out is Mundo's "Still Stand Rasta."

TRG's newer stuff is cool, and Shonky (from the forum) has made some nicer 2step/broken beat stuff.

Check out my last mix.

nomos

Administrator
oh that's right. i downloaded a TRG track that had an early Tempa feel. i'll check out your mix.

tate

Brown Sugar
some old school North Americans making really good dubby 2-step - DeepSix, G Notorius, Jason Mundo - but the only vinyl to come out is Mundo's "Still Stand Rasta."
I love those guys' work. "Still Stand Rasta" used to be called "I Stand Rasta" iirc (seems like the tune has been around for years), nice one. Cooper mixed Eric H's "Lights" out of it on the mix he released a couple of years back. What about TS Heritage and DJ Joseph? Don't G Notorious and Deep Six produce under the title GeeSixCru . . . sorry, I forget . . . maybe that's more in the garage vein . . . ?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
with the exception of the new Mala tracks the DMZ collective's best tunes are in the past now)...

That's a very big exception! Plus there are some really good Coki beats doing the rounds that have yet see a release - Bloodthirst, Thieves In The Night, some others I don't know the names of.

zhao

there are no accidents
can we get some list action going up in this bitch? what are the must-hear records coming out?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Benga - Crunked Up (so catchy it could be a pop smash - stick a vocal on there, away ya go)

Loefah - Disco Rekka (just out on Deep Medi, one of his best IMO. The flip is Coki's All Of A Sudden which I still need to hear properly but I think it's a winna)

Mala - Bury The Bwoy / Hunter (it's one the best 12"s to come out of dubstep)

I'm hoping the Magnetik Man tuff sees a release some time soon. Also looking forward to more Kromestar releases - his best still not out.

Skreamism 3 should be good - I really like Chest Boxing and Make Me - big ravey groovers both.

Well that seems like a really obvious list of the usual suspects. I'm sure there's more.

Last edited:

boomnoise

♫
look out for forthcoming bits from darkstar, TRG, burial (jamie woon remix) and reso.

all going on differently - which is what we need in my opinion.

elgato

I just dont know
either just out, or coming soon...

Peverelist - Erstwhile Riddim / The Grind

Shackleton - In the next world / Unlikely - Hollow

Bass Clef - Opera EP

Moving Ninja - Formations EP

Elemental - Bleep / Mathead - Stagger Dub

Tubby - Tigerstyle

mms

sometimes
i've almost reached a threshold with this music, i don't really want to listen to it again until i hear a track that makes me go - 'what the fuck is that?' it's definitely started to move backwards, if it did actually move backwards that might be an innovation but it doesn't.

elgato

I just dont know
i can definately understand your sentiment, i feel it to a fair degree also, but

Peverelist - Erstwhile Riddim / The Grind

Unlikely - Hollow

Bass Clef - Opera EP

Moving Ninja - Formations EP

are definately not steps backwards. theres still innovation happening in the scene, theres just loads and loads of rubbish now. but im trying to distance myself from it now too, otherwise i get annoyed by it

viktorvaughn

Just listened to the sample of ‘crunked up’ and recognised it as a tune I’ve heard loads of times in a club but thought was a Mala production. Good example of a great banger and a fresh sounding tune.

But yeah there is some poor stuff about, at a Bristol Bash at the weekend I thought Headhunter and Whiteboi (Bristol DJs) were a bit dreary. Just lots of sparse plodding stuff, the part i heard anyway.

Mala and Loefah were still fantastic though and i have seen them loads of times. Just a different class of music from (most of) the rest of the pack.

boomnoise

♫
the distinct tiers of dubstep production are apparent. no one can really touch the top boys. which isn't to say there's not innovation happening, i just don't think there's that many producers comfortable enough to try and push things.

i hope this year we will see a rejection of half step and the (re)injection of swing. there needs to be more funk as well. there is a real challenge for anyone who wants to make dubstep of any worth in an increasingly saturated arena. that said, i'm talking to producers who are really up for rising to this so i'm optimistic. i'm also slowly feeling (and hearing) the half-step backlash take effect.

worryingly dubstep is in danger of becoming a dirty word. this is through it being crystallised sonically last year; with popularity came the perception that dubstep is what it was during a certain period. dubstep as genre over dubstep as idea.

dubstep really needs to starting believing in the 'always fwd' mantra, rather than just thinking its a given that 'dubstep' is fwd music.

nomos

Administrator
@ Tate - Yeah the TransAtlantic Bass mix is fantastic. I wish Eric H would put more stuff out.

boomnoise said:
i hope this year we will see a rejection of half step and the (re)injection of swing.
yes! re: "always fwd" - i think it's become always sideways, this fascination with expansion of the sound rather than reinvention of the machine.

Last edited:
C

cyst

too much pessimism:)

9 has never liked the term dubstep, people are doing new stuff all the time. its simply that theres more people putting out tunes that work at parties than risking their cash on things that might be perhaps more innovative but wouldn't sell to the midrange wobble* kids. If dsf is in anyway a representative of record buying dubsteppers, genericism is what the kids want. given most heads on there have only been into the sound 6 months to a year, thats probably insuffucent time to get bored with it.

gieom, starkey, parson, shonky, the blackmass plastic lot, blackdown, matty g, the herbal medium, bass cleff, JSL, 2000F, ramadanman, Forensix and alot more are all doing interesting, different stuff with sub bass, yet they're rarely mentioned on here if at all. Not to mention distance, loefah, mala, etc who continue to kill it, though i think to put them on a pestidal is slightly dubious - they've just been playing the game for longer. Its not hard to make massive jumps as a producer in the space of a year or so.

*not a moan at wobbles, though they are a ubiquitus feature

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I still like dubstep :) There's just not that much left to say about it. If 2006 was the year dubstep was talked to death, hopefully 2007 will be more about actually listening to it.

oh that's right. i downloaded a TRG track that had an early Tempa feel.

keep an eye out for these forthcoming quite soon.

boomnoise said:
the distinct tiers of dubstep production are apparent. no one can really touch the top boys. which isn't to say there's not innovation happening, i just don't think there's that many producers comfortable enough to try and push things.

I would've agreed with this until quite recently, when two things dawned on me. Firstly that I wasn't really listening to much music made by the scene front runners anymore when at home, with the exception of mala, loefah and benga, and secondly that I just don't hear many of the newer producers playing on enormous sound systems. Even at big raves like DMZ, the sound is held back till DMZ themselves come on; so even when DJs are pushing different sounds at the beginning of the night, they're completely eclipsed by the usual suspects when the rig's turned up properly. It also means that this new wave of producers don't really get many opportunities to hear their stuff really fucking loud, which is pretty important in this music.

Last edited:
C

cyst

Following on from yr point UFO how loud is it in the redstar compared to say leeds dmz?

As someone who's never been i'd always imagined that was probably to best place to hear next generation producers on a decent system but maybe i'm wrong.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
In the Spannered interview kode9 is sounding about as fatigued with "the D" as ever. The new bass poetry project with Space Ape sounds like a real departure.

Although I hated on the Kode9 album extensively, (and really somewhat unfairly) the best tracks were the most ghostly and minimal, which I presume this project would conform to (like "Sine" and "Nine" and "Correction")...?

Status
Not open for further replies.