The Big Hello Thread

luka

one squre foot of the midwest is all of the midwest. why has it been replicated in this way? why does it cover all that land? replication without novelty. the same thing rolling away to flat horizon.

luka

There’s nothing like the heartland of America. The Midwest includes North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. It comprises about 20 percent of the United States population — and that 20 percent is probably the friendliest group of people you’ll ever meet.

In the Midwest, you’ve got your weird slang (wtf is a bubbler?), love for everything cheese (cheese curds, anyone?) and that eagerly given heartland smile (do I know you?).

All of these quirky characteristics are what make the middle of America so wholesome and, well, so gosh-darn great. What are the other signs that you’re from the Midwest? Let’s dive in…

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

Minnesota nice is a cultural stereotype applied to the behavior of people from Minnesota implying residents are unusually courteous, reserved, mild-mannered and passive-aggressive.

linebaugh

Not only the disappearances, but strange appearances too have made the Michigan Triangle one of the most mysterious places in the world. In 1919, people have observed unusual and bright lights in the sky above the Michigan Triangle. They reveal that they have witnessed two large balls of fire fall into Lake Michigan and the explosion was so powerful that it shook the earth. The New York Times reported it as a Huge Meteor, but some still perceive this event as paranormal. Many reports of supposed UFO sightings at the same point above Michigan Triangle were reported later by the locals

Leo

the-new-yorker-saul-steinberg-poster_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Leo

everything west of jersey is "the midwest", until you hit cali. kind of like everything north of Yonkers is "upstate".

sus

There’s nothing like the heartland of America. The Midwest includes North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. It comprises about 20 percent of the United States population — and that 20 percent is probably the friendliest group of people you’ll ever meet.

In the Midwest, you’ve got your weird slang (wtf is a bubbler?), love for everything cheese (cheese curds, anyone?) and that eagerly given heartland smile (do I know you?).

All of these quirky characteristics are what make the middle of America so wholesome and, well, so gosh-darn great. What are the other signs that you’re from the Midwest? Let’s dive in…
Can confirm that Wisconsinites are shockingly friendly. And not in the bullshit smalltalk way. In the, "if you car breaks down on the side of the road, there'll be 8 people within 3 minutes who have pulled over to help out." Have seen this happen enough times to have a statistically significant n

sus

I read an account of a woman in Green Bay, she was from somewhere else, and pregnant, and embarrassed to be holding up the line at the car wash because she did not have the proper change. And the guy behind her got out and put a dollar in for her. She was confused and said "But how will I pay you back?" And he answered: "What do I care, it's only a dollar!" And look what he bought with that dollar. He made that woman so pleased she will remember it forever.