sufi

lala

In 1704, Isaac Newton Predicted That the World Will End in 2060

NewtonPapers1AP_468x603.jpg

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Interesting, this switch would map onto the narrative that the Democrats lost touch with their working class appeal. Even if Democratic policy trends stayed true to that (I couldn't confirm or deny), maybe this shift is due to a more purely cultural development, i.e. the democrats appealing more to an upper-class liberal contingency?
And maybe that has something to do with the social justice movement inheriting the political momentum of the civil rights movement, and then shifting gears into a more purely cultural movement, penetrating more of the elite cultural milieu (e.g. representation in Hollywood).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And maybe that has something to do with the social justice movement inheriting the political momentum of the civil rights movement, and then shifting gears into a more purely cultural movement, penetrating more of the elite cultural milieu (e.g. representation in Hollywood).
That said, I don't know if there is any authoritative documentation of such a trend. Just seems plausible, like it would explain something like the culture war.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Interesting, this switch would map onto the narrative that the Democrats lost touch with their working class appeal. Even if Democratic policy trends stayed true to that (I couldn't confirm or deny), maybe this shift is due to a more purely cultural development, i.e. the democrats appealing more to an upper-class liberal contingency?
Well that would be the easy and conventional conclusion to draw, but is the right one? What I mean is: are there not working-class people in cities, too? Or is "working class" in this context just a code for "white and uneducated"?

IdleRich

IdleRich
you have to leave aside the idea that people beleive these things cos they are worse than you. this is what i was on about last night by saying all conspiracy people are brighter than leo. they are not literally, not all of them, but what im saying is, stop thinking your better than them
This is very hard to do. Not with conspiracy theorists particularly I mean, it's just that when anyone sets themselves up to examine a group they position themselves as a neutral observer outside of that group. They are the lab scientist and the group members are rats and once one has established that relationship, clinically watching the rats being swayed one way or another by events from which their cool detachment as an observer insulates them, then it's hard not to look down on the subjects.

And also a lot of conspiracy theorists are thick as fuck. As I trying to describe yesterday there are loads of people who don't even learn their chosen theories properly, you see them being interviewed at Trump rallies or something and they barely scratch the surface, they are saying stuff which even I know isn't correct within the parameters of their chosen reality - it just bugs me, if you're gonna be into something why not get into it properly?

Leo

you have to leave aside the idea that people beleive these things cos they are worse than you. this is what i was on about last night by saying all conspiracy people are brighter than leo. they are not literally, not all of them, but what im saying is, stop thinking your better than them

I hear you. at the same time, if someone insists on being an obnoxious loudmouth spouting ridiculous things that are easily proved wrong, and then even changes their views 180 degrees six months later, I think it's fair to call them out. it's not like we're talking about opposing philosophical positions where there's no right or wrong. we're talking believers in the world being ruled by lizard people and the involvement of Wayfair furniture and a Washington DC pizza place in global child trafficking rings. it's ok to call that shit nuts.

luka

This is very hard to do.

yes its hard to do. my natural assumption is that im better than everyone. thats normal. i sympathise. i think remainers are mostly thick as fuck with their EU flags in their twitter bios etc. i think people who eat at harvester are thick as fuck. i think people that wear boat shoes are thick as fuck. the list goes on. but i also think this is a reprehensible habit of mine.

luka

I hear you. at the same time, if someone insists on being an obnoxious loudmouth spouting ridiculous things that are easily proved wrong, and then even changes their views 180 degrees six months later, I think it's fair to call them out. it's not like we're talking about opposing philosophical positions where there's no right or wrong. we're talking believers in the world being ruled by lizard people and the involvement of Wayfair furniture and a Washington DC pizza place in global child trafficking rings. it's ok to call that shit nuts.
yes i agree there are plenty that are very clearly fucked in the head and beleive total noncesense

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Well that would be the easy and conventional conclusion to draw, but is the right one? What I mean is: are there not working-class people in cities, too? Or is "working class" in this context just a code for "white and uneducated"?
It largely has become code for that, for better or worse. But even if we take the term more at face value, I'd still stay rural cultures are more predominantly working class than cities. Even if there are a ton of working class people in cities, urban culture is still influenced by more of an upper-class contingency than rural culture on average, I'd say. I don't have any data on hand, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case.