METAL! Discuss

tom pr

Also this is so good! Never heard anybody talk about it, but it's better than any record Neurosis or Isis have done in years.

Octopus?

Also this is so good! Never heard anybody talk about it, but it's better than any record Neurosis or Isis have done in years.

Oh, dot(.) are SO good and absolutely crush most of their doom competition. Two of 'em are also in the group Graves that used to feature some members of Church of Misery and their album "Mortuary in Darkness" from 2006 is incredible.

Haven't heard Hey Colossus other than the name being bandied about. Are they equally as good/better than dot(.)?

Last edited:

Octopus?

Bought Deleted Scenes from the Transition Hospital by Axis of Perdition the other day, remembered hearing it ages ago and being blown away. I had it going in the car on the way to my mate's and it was like driving a black cloud or something...

Cinematic industrial black metal? I believe I'm sold...they sound like Blut Aus Nord with mascara from the description, or something. I've found Code666 to be hit and miss, but when they hit with a quality release it's pure gold. Added to the list to check out tonight...thanks!

tom pr

Dunno about better than dot(.) as the split 12 is all I've heard, but their track is really good. It's a lot more subtle than dot's side which is just obscenely heavy, and the two work really well together. didn't know there was a connection with Graves...

There's this whole crew of dudes that the Axis of Perdition are in all doing a similar thing, not sure if it all comes out Code666 but if so i might order a bunch of it as i'm intrigued. The inlay of that album is full of scenes they've set up in what appears to be (but i'm guessing isnt) an abandoned hospital with wheelchairs lying around and strange people lurking, and i think they wrote the album there too. something like that. it's very House on Haunted Hill.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Seriously jonesing for more Deathspell Omega atm, but a new Leviathan release...will do very nicely, thank you.

Octopus?

Seriously jonesing for more Deathspell Omega atm, but a new Leviathan release...will do very nicely, thank you.

Amen to that...there seems to be a good cross-pond back and forth between Deathspell and Leviathan as I've detected traces of each other's work in each project. If it continues they'll probably morph into a single entity that will dominate Black Metal for perpetuity. This album should keep me satisfied for weeks to come.

Southern Lord is reissuing Wrest's (from Leviathan) Lurker of Chalice project which is excellent - more subtlly atmospheric than the usual Leviathan tracks.

You might also like (that is, assuming you haven't heard) some of the other Moribund releases like the Brown Jenkins mentioned upthread and the new I Shalt Become disc. There are sound samples up on the site.

Octopus?

There's this whole crew of dudes that the Axis of Perdition are in all doing a similar thing, not sure if it all comes out Code666 but if so i might order a bunch of it as i'm intrigued. The inlay of that album is full of scenes they've set up in what appears to be (but i'm guessing isnt) an abandoned hospital with wheelchairs lying around and strange people lurking, and i think they wrote the album there too. something like that. it's very House on Haunted Hill.

Haven't heard Axis of Perdition yet (or checked out their visual side) but there's an Australian band called Portal that play absurdly twisted Death Metal (it's a stretch to even call it that) with a very strong Lovecraft influence that could probably stand to start their own one band Cosmic Hauntological Horror genre. Check out their sepia tinted insanity here. Clicking on the middle point brings up band photos and a twisted 'mission statement'.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Portal are indeed excellent - churning atonal noise, but very tight. They're kind of the Harrison Birtwhistle of death metal.

vimothy

yurp
Well into Portal: antipodean war metal madness.

AoP always leave me cold (and not in a good way).

New Leviathan should be good, but personally I think Lurker of Chalice is the better project.

Still waiting for the DsO bomb to drop. Fingers crossed.

Octopus?

Quick "holy heck!" update -> Darkspace. Darkspace. Darkspace.

If anybody has yet to hear them, the disc "I" is unbelievably good. I won't say too much more. If anybody's interested, their Myspace (and I love the idea of Black Metal on Myspace) is here.

STN

sou'wester
Any shop rex for metal? I'm in London, but would be interested in hearing about them anywhere.

vimothy

yurp
Yeah, Darkspace slay. I think their albums have just been reissued?

You should check out Paysage d'Hiver & Lunar Aurora as well.

tom pr

southern lord have re-issued the Gore albums from the late eighties. which is nice of them.

intrigued about this new label FSS, set up by one of the founders of kranky. been sent the first two releases, quite looking forward to listening to them...

did anyone get that live SunnO))) thing that just came out?

tom pr

i also think the new RTX (jennifer herrema from royal trux's current band; interviewed here by a friend of mine) album is brilliant. totally different type of metal to, well, everything else in the last few pages of this thread, and i can see how people would hate the classic rock aesthetic of it, but i think it sounds great. fucking stonking, balls-out riffs, great vocals.

vimothy

yurp
int031.jpg

Lionel Marchetti and Seijiro Murayama "Hatali Atsalei (l'echange des yeux)"

Amazing trollish atmosphere on this.