METAL! Discuss

vimothy

yurp
Also, the new Malkuth album, which is a band featuring some NNCK dudes, is great. Not at all hipster-ish. In fact, it sounds totally authentic -- blistering old school, classic Darkthrone-style greatness.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
What constitutes hipster metal? The two seem diametrically opposed. Is it like Mastodon? If I stretch my imagination that is the closest I can come to envisioning such a concept.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
What constitutes hipster metal? The two seem diametrically opposed. Is it like Mastodon? If I stretch my imagination that is the closest I can come to envisioning such a concept.

it depends on what you mean by "hipster" & "metal".

More than a specific "hipster metal" I think people mean the hipness of certain kinds of metal, especially; drone/doom (esp. Sunn O))), Khanate & other O'Malley/Southern Lord stuff, also Boris), sludge (Electric Wizard & all that), some strands of black metal (i.e. bands like Wolves In the Throne Room or Xasthur getting reviews on Pitchfork). As well as metal & liking metal becoming "cool" over the last, say, 5-10 years. Also a hipster reappraisal of bands like Eyehategod, Sleep, Earth, as well as a lot of black metal.

The thing is, metal seems inherently "uncool" - that is, metalheads almost all are very sincere, very low irony quotient (which I'm sure is a major part of the appeal to hipsters), which I reckon kind of makes it immune to hype cycles. Like, metal dudes are making metal because they believe in metal. Rain or shine in they'll continue making metal.

Leo

Like, metal dudes are making metal because they believe in metal. Rain or shine in they'll continue making metal.

yeah, it's funny to put things in real-life context: here in the state, anyway, this stuff is STILL amazingly popular.

reminds me of the scene in "the wrestler" when mikey rourke and stripper/semi-girlfriend marisa tomei are in a bar, singing/grinding along to the jukebox that's playing motley crew, ratt, etc., she says something along the lines of "man, 80s music was the best", and he says "yeah, until that asshole kobain came along and fucked everything up."

my friends and i all laughed at the line, but there are TONS of people out there who really feel that way.

nochexxx

harco pronting
ok i should have posted my list ages ago

apple maggot quarantine area - mutant cats (skate punk i know)

silent death
infectious maggots
(i will never forget these fellas they took me under their wing)

mondo cane
carcass - reek of putrefaction / symphonies of sickness
death - spiritual healing
napalm death - scum
sepultura - schizophrenia
sarcófago
godflesh - street cleaner
morbid angel - altars of madness
voivoid (for their pink floyd cover)
metallica - master of puppets

zhao

there are no accidents
new jarmusch flick Limits of Control has the best Boris tracks i have ever heard. no ear splitting screeching, just somber and resolute heavy psych shoe-gaze. which of their albums are like that?

craner

Beast of Burden
I loath Metal, I must say. But I was always fascinated by the love Slayer recieved in the Rhondda Valley in the early 90s. Reign in Blood was possibly the most popular album at that time in that place.

For want of repeating myself, do watch this wonderful thing.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Yes. "Psalm 9" and "The Skull" are pretty much essential.
Then listen to Pagan Altar - "Volume 1", Candlemass - "Nightfall" and any Pentagram you can find.

vimothy

yurp
Okay, so it's not metal, except obviously it is, but I've been listening to KD's follow up to Imperial Distortion: Imperial Horizon. Heavy.

straight

wings cru
Favourite metal band at the minute is Journey to Ixtlan.

www.myspace.com/j2ifan

Wonderful desolate desert doom with cookie monster bits and spooky organs only a million times better than that sounds. What I expected when I read about Earth around Hex

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
tr00, you mean.
'
listen, if it's not one misanthropic bloke screaming into a 4 track in an in icy cavern somewhere in the Arctic Circle then it isn't true metal.

Zimmers Hole: the only trüe metal band...

1.jpg