METAL! Discuss

mms

sometimes
Yeah, that Symposium stuff is really silly, it's all fine if black metal is an example of yr theories about psychology/musicology/whatever, but black metal itself does not have theories......

It's really just cashing in by people who want to 'legitimise' the scene because it's going to get really big soon

Yeah xasthur and britney are finally working together!

CrowleyHead

Btw I'm pretty sure BM's hipster cred is on the wane. I think hardcore is up next.

You'd be surprised. Krallice is keeping the hipster BM flame strong, and Liturgy are citing Xenakis as an influence.

If anything, there's also a post-BM sound developing. In NYC alone you have those lot, who are making mathematical almost prog/math-rock music within Black Metal's filter, you have Tombs who have Isis and BM tainted noisecore, and Unearthly Trance, who have this severe blackened doom sound. That's not counting other BM influenced bands like say, Portal, who are getting more and more attention by non-metal crowds...

slowtrain

Well this is all relative of course, but black metal is definitely seeing a surge in popularity in non-metal crowds.

I think it's because of the work of bands like Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, who don't really sound like any of the stuff BM was previously assosciated with (compare them with say, Ildjarn or Von) and because those bands aren't silly/nerdy in the way early Norse bands were, and they aren't extremely right wing... To be honest it beats me how any of those bands are black metal at all.

See also that Cascadian Black Metal link bassbeyondreason posted, and compare with a blog like this: http://dancingbearsandpaintedwings.tumblr.com/ ......lots of similar aesthetics going on there (the muted colours, vintage pics, refs to romantic literature)

Last edited:

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
gwar_image2_1138408707-000.jpg

Damien

I really can't see Black Metal 'blowing up' any more than it already has

Hipster Black Metal is really old news surely, although I am captivated by Fauna for some reason.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
interested to know what people make of the other croydon hardcore continuum.... Rucktion recs.... knuckledust, diction, ninebar, kartel, prowler, 6ftditch ... i used to get dragged to gigs by an ex... had a soft spot for diction in particular.. still listen to their album from time to time..

Ach!

Turd on the Run
A good friend of mine is pals with certain LBU bands, Kartel in particular. I kinda like the authenticity and enthusiasm of what they're doing.

STN

sou'wester
so do Black Breath merit the fuss everyone (or The Quietus at any rate) is making of them?

There is a new Danzig album out, which I may buy just for something to do.

CrowleyHead

so do Black Breath merit the fuss everyone (or The Quietus at any rate) is making of them?

There is a new Danzig album out, which I may buy just for something to do.

Well, they're better than Trap Them.

The most redundant trend in Metal it seems is "Entombed riffs in a blender".

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
interested to know what people make of the other croydon hardcore continuum.... Rucktion recs.... knuckledust, diction, ninebar, kartel, prowler, 6ftditch ... i used to get dragged to gigs by an ex... had a soft spot for diction in particular.. still listen to their album from time to time..

I liked knuckeldust and 6ftditch live, all of that lot gave great gig. Dunno much more about them though.

connect_icut

I finally got SunnO)))'s Monoliths & Dimensions because I found the vinyl for a relatively reasonable price. I remember reading mixed reviews of this album when it came out but - on first listen - it might be my favourite of all their stuff. The first track is like being dropped into a virtual reality simulation of an HP Lovecraft story - one of the ones where someone stumbles upon an ancient demon city in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. That kind of thing.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
gig listings make me lol sometimes

"Early 80s-style desperation yelling over metal-tinged riffs and great pounding slower bits."

rivetrenuck

hhmmm Should i say it? I think i must get this off my chest,

I Love the first 4 KoRn albums!, there I said it! despite what others say, i think KoRn's first four albums are absolute masterpieces, guitar music like never before, almost love every element about them, the eerie artwork, Jons moany almost annoying vocals, despite the somewhat lame lyrical content in the latter two.

I am nostalgic about them, remember waking up early morning to go off to school and listening to korn while half a sleep eating breakfast.

There its out now, I am a closet KoRn Lover.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Not sure if it's strictly metal (reminds me a little of Kyuss doing Husker Du) but this remains one of the best things I've heard this year

<iframe src="" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="">"Mosquito Hawk" - Tjutjuna</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3073764">Mark Demolar</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
hhmmm Should i say it? I think i must get this off my chest,

I Love the first 4 KoRn albums!, there I said it! despite what others say, i think KoRn's first four albums are absolute masterpieces, guitar music like never before, almost love every element about them, the eerie artwork, Jons moany almost annoying vocals, despite the somewhat lame lyrical content in the latter two.

I am nostalgic about them, remember waking up early morning to go off to school and listening to korn while half a sleep eating breakfast.

There its out now, I am a closet KoRn Lover.

Still like the first two despite not having listened to them for about ten years. 'Follow The Leader' goes in the 'music I'm embarrassed I once liked' category. The less said about 'Issues' the better