Clothes

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Anyone got any good recommendations for winter jackets? After a new warm waterproof to get me through another hellish Glasgow winter. Something of the North Face-ish variety, up to about £200 that'll look good on a small frame.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i've picked up an arcteryx alpha sv for the winter but that may not be what you are after
maybe their theta

i'd steer you away from technical jackets sub 200 pounds
or if you insist on a tech jacket maybe go vintage like sierra designs 60/40 or old columbia or old patagonia or north face brown label

i'd consider maybe something in melton wool instead like a duffle or pea coat or a hunting mackinaw
that may not be your style though
🤷

i know someone that is sitting on a lot of vexed generation stock that i could put you in touch with... probably could do you good for sub 200 pounds

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i'd steer you away from technical jackets sub 200 pounds
or if you insist on a tech jacket maybe go vintage like sierra designs 60/40 or old columbia or old patagonia or north face brown label
I'd steer you away from a technical jacket unless you're going to be a) doing a lot of sweaty exercise and b) wearing technical baselayers and midlayers. Wearign a £300 Rab jacket over a cotton t-shirt and a hoodie is almost completely pointless.

That said, for seriously warm I'd consider getting either a primaloft-insulated jacket or a waterproof down jacket. Non-waterproofed down jackets just get wet and useless, though. In both cases, PHD if I felt rich, Rab or Patagonia or Alpkit otherwise. But then, I'd be thinking of wearing it up mountains in the winter. For wearing around town I'd be happier with a pea coat or a crombie or something...

cobretti

Hmmmm. I'm not really crazy about the duffle/peacoat look, and much prefer a lighter jacket. Are sub £200 tech jackets pretty much a waste of time?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd steer you away from a technical jacket unless you're going to be a) doing a lot of sweaty exercise and b) wearing technical baselayers and midlayers. Wearign a £300 Rab jacket over a cotton t-shirt and a hoodie is almost completely pointless.

That said, for seriously warm I'd consider getting either a primaloft-insulated jacket or a waterproof down jacket. Non-waterproofed down jackets just get wet and useless, though. In both cases, PHD if I felt rich, Rab or Patagonia or Alpkit otherwise. But then, I'd be thinking of wearing it up mountains in the winter. For wearing around town I'd be happier with a pea coat or a crombie or something...

Not that it's a bad thing, but I genuinely understood almost none of that. Who knew there was such variety on the coat front? What's a pea coat?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Not that it's a bad thing, but I genuinely understood almost none of that. Who knew there was such variety on the coat front? What's a pea coat?

Um those double breasted kinda duffle looking heavy wool jackets that go down to just around the bum, kinda like a donkey jacket for posh people lol

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Hmmmm. I'm not really crazy about the duffle/peacoat look, and much prefer a lighter jacket. Are sub £200 tech jackets pretty much a waste of time?
It's more that tech jackets full stop are a bit of a waste of time unless you're going up a mountain and wearing a full technical layering system. A lot of what you're paying for is a breathable fabric that'll let sweat out as well as not letting rain in. But if you're not going to be sweating a lot, that's not much of a benefit. And even if you are sweating a lot, if you're wearing a cotton T-shirt and a hoody or something under the jacket, they'll soak up the sweat and it still won't help.

Basically, if you buy a tech waterproof jacket for everyday wear, you're paying for 1) a well designed hood 2) a waterproof zip and 3) the looks and the brand name. Which is fair enough, I suppose, I just get irrationally wound up by people who buy a jacket designed for scottish winter climbing and only wear it to walk the dog around South Ken. It's the chelsea tractor of the jacket world.

A decent down or synthetic-fill insulated jacket makes a bit more sense, since it's basically very warm and very light. Down is a better insulator but fails completely if it gets wet, hence the usefulness of synthetic fill.

alex

Do not read this.
ez, so the footlocker 2 for £25 range has basically sorted by summer/shorts wardrobe, I basically bought everyone worth buying, spent nearly £450 on them, but they last so long & have some really nice designs..

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I'd second RAB as a maker of very good 'tech' jackets, especially for winter- well thought out, work well, excellent cut (very important when trudging round town rather than up hills). My vapour-rise top (wind proof/showerproof fleece alternative) has been a relevation this year.

I've heard good things about Marmot stuff.

Berghaus seem to have upped their game recently, in response to the North Face world domination attempt (though I do love North Face super lightweight summer waterproofs).

For something a bit less rambler, i've just got one of these cheap-

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/newproduct.aspx?ProductStyleID=110469&CategoryID=1594

It is excellent., though, it is spring/autumn rather than winter (in winter i wear a fleece and a double layered North Face, which deals with all that Yorkshire, both urban and country can chuck at it).

Avoid fold away hoods and ensure breathable fabric.

Last edited:

cobretti

It's more that tech jackets full stop are a bit of a waste of time unless you're going up a mountain and wearing a full technical layering system. A lot of what you're paying for is a breathable fabric that'll let sweat out as well as not letting rain in. But if you're not going to be sweating a lot, that's not much of a benefit. And even if you are sweating a lot, if you're wearing a cotton T-shirt and a hoody or something under the jacket, they'll soak up the sweat and it still won't help.

Basically, if you buy a tech waterproof jacket for everyday wear, you're paying for 1) a well designed hood 2) a waterproof zip and 3) the looks and the brand name. Which is fair enough, I suppose, I just get irrationally wound up by people who buy a jacket designed for scottish winter climbing and only wear it to walk the dog around South Ken. It's the chelsea tractor of the jacket world.

A decent down or synthetic-fill insulated jacket makes a bit more sense, since it's basically very warm and very light. Down is a better insulator but fails completely if it gets wet, hence the usefulness of synthetic fill.

I think you underestimate the Scottish winter ;)

I'd like a nice down jacket but they're quite expensive and as you say, not so handy in the rain. I'd go for one of the Idiom numbers if I had £350 to spare, but sadly that's not the case. Anyhoo, if you can point me in the direction of the style you're recommending, I'll go from there rather than derailing ze thread any further.

Leo

i'm ok for rain clothes in fall/winter, but not for warmer months when i tend to wear sneakers (aka, "trainers"). what sort of foot gear do you guys wear on a warm rainy day?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i'm ok for rain clothes in fall/winter, but not for warmer months when i tend to wear sneakers (aka, "trainers"). what sort of foot gear do you guys wear on a warm rainy day?

You know what? I just give up on this weather completely, it's fuckin impossible to dress for. If you wear boots cos it's raining you boil to death and if you wear trainers they get soggy.

In Vietnam and places they just wear a T-shirt and flipflops and fuck the rest of it, don't they?

I hate to think that I'm going to end up carrying a fucking pac-a-mac.

mms

sometimes
remember remember

some one posted a site, either danish or swedish clothing company that did amazing caps and hats i can't find it for the life of me, around feb last year cos i didnt get one as i was skint. i really want a decent outdoorsman kinda hat you know.

mms

sometimes
please point me in the direction of somewhere that sells functional caps and hats, like deer stalkers, elmer fudd caps and various things like that, nice ones well made. cant for the life of me find anything more than the typically trad ones.