Blimey! United seven - Roma one

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know that there aren't many football fans on here but you don't see a result like that often and I think it's worth remarking.
Roma were completely blown away by an awesome display of attacking football. Of course, in a way it's a freak result and doesn't necessarily mean anything for the rest of the tournament but just in itself I think it was magnificent.

vimothy

yurp
Woo - fucking - hoo!

We were sat in the pub chanting "we want eight!" and "are you city in disguise?" the whole time

Brilliant night

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, shame I ended up on the wrong end of a similar result last night. Don't understand it, we beat them when we played them in the league, we finished top and they finished fourth yet on the first knock-out match of the season we caved-in like Roma.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Man Utd 3 - Milan 2

Hmm, it's gonna be tough in the next leg but I think that United will score - just a shame that comedy defending gifted Kaka two goals. Apart from those moments (and a couple of one-twos in the second half) Milan showed zero penetration but he took his chances brilliantly.

don_quixote

Trent End
that 90th minute goal was just class. i wish i could get over my hatred of alex ferguson, man utd fans, christiano ronaldo etc. so that i could appreciate it properly

i love alan smith though

jenks

thread death
I'm not a United fan but their performance in the second half was exceptional. Obviously the loss of Gattuso was crucial for Milan. I do love that indefatigable spirit that English clubs are showing in Europe this year.

I sent a text to a hard core united fan after Rooney scored that last minute winner. His reply made me laugh ' i nearly shat myself with joy'.

I think United can do it but they are going to have to be perfect at the back. I like the fact that Milan have to score to go through - it makes it a much more entertaining prospect.

what about tonight's match?

don_quixote

Trent End
i hate liverpool so come on chelsea. it's gonna be tight though (obviously). man utd are a far more attractive side to watch than either of them.

vimothy

yurp
Hmm, it's gonna be tough in the next leg but I think that United will score - just a shame that comedy defending gifted Kaka two goals. Apart from those moments (and a couple of one-twos in the second half) Milan showed zero penetration but he took his chances brilliantly.

Terrible defending, especially the second goal. On balance though, I think that we did alright considering that we were on the verge of complete collapse towards the end of the first half. Great goals by Rooney, some great passing by Scholes - we were pretty damn good in the second half. I hope we've got enough of a squad left to go to Milan and win.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Great goals by Rooney, some great passing by Scholes
Ironically - given the number of injuries United had - I think it was the injuries for Milan that changed the game. Once Gattuso went off Scholes had a lot more space and he began to completely impose himself.
I was surprised at the lack of cutting edge from Milan though, they didn't really create anything except two individual moments. The defence was very shaky but they didn't attempt to exploit it enough.

vimothy

yurp
Pity we couldn't sign Gattuso after the corruption charges and point deductions. He is such a good player, I cheered when he went off injured!

vimothy

yurp

Hard to call: Chelsea are obviously the better side, IMO, but they're not at their best at the moment and Liverpool are well jammy in Europe. But probably, home side advantage, Chelsea win 2-1.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've just got this weird feeling that fate is leading inexorably to a United v Chelsea play-off in the three big cups. Obviously I don't believe in fate but, well, you know.

vimothy

yurp
Well, I was nearly right. Think that Liverpool could score two at home, but probably aren't going to be able to stop Chelsea scoring. Man U vs. Chelsea in final.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think it was just a little bit too easy for Chelsea last night. Liverpool had the ball enough but they just couldn't get anywhere near a final killer pass or moment of magic that might unlock the Chelsea defence. By contrast, when Chelsea broke they created chances and really they should have had two or three. Reina was Liverpool's best player.
On the other hand Liverpool can take some consolation that they escaped from that only one - nil down and in touching distance, they have to raise their game by a long way next week or they are out but they do have time to plan it and it is still possible.
Chelsea are definitely favourites to progress now though.

vimothy

yurp
Didn't actually get to see the match, so thanks for the summary.

I want to play Chelsea in the final only because I want them to have to play as many games as us. I'm sure we can beat them, and win the Premiership.

Otherwise I'd rather beat the scouse, that'd be sweeeeeet.

vimothy

yurp
Looks like it's going to be Man U vs Liverpool in the final (hopefully). Thought Liverpool were pretty boring though, not great either leg, so we should be able to turn them over. I'm more worried about beating Milan tonight to be honest.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno, I thought Liverpool were pretty good. They scored a great goal and they wanted it more all the way. Chelsea should have wrapped it up in the first leg and they were made to pay last night.
Tonight is going to be very hairy I think.

vimothy

yurp
Maybe I'm just biased because its Liverpool. I said that they were spawny in Europe though + playing at Anfield + Gerrard gives them the advantage really. Should have seen it coming but I still think that Chelsea have the better side.

Tonight will be tough - I think I'd rather be playing Chelsea or Liverpool than Milan at the San Siro.

Milan 1 - Man Utd 2, and hopefully the premiership at the weekend (Chelsea are giong to be knackered, no Barton, etc...)

mos dan

fact music
Dunno, I thought Liverpool were pretty good. They scored a great goal and they wanted it more all the way. Chelsea should have wrapped it up in the first leg and they were made to pay last night.
Tonight is going to be very hairy I think.

i am such a sucker for peculiar training ground set-pieces, i loved that goal. like the free-kick (scored by matt le tissier maybe?) five or so years ago that was flicked up in the air, school playground style, to then be volleyed in first time.

if i was - heaven forbid - a man u fan, i would be pretty damn nervous about tonight. could go either way: two great teams in great form.

would there be much interest in a 'football: breaking news, gossip, slander, lies' thread? maybe there is one already somewhere... i've only just starting exploring dissensus' non-music rooms..