STN

sou'wester
I think the culprit here is 'Dave' (formerly UK Gold or whatever it was called), which now plugs itself as "the home of witty banter". Mainly meaning Top Gear repeats, apparently.

indeed, but Faber have just released a book about banter and it's always a complaint on pub review websites that the staff were unfriendly 'we weren't expecting much, just some light banter', which i always unfairly interpret as 'you told the barmaid to cheer up it might never happen, and somehow that didn't do the trick'.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
I have this little tinselly artificial tree that's been kept in the cupboard under the sink for the past year. When I went to retrieve it the other day I discovered that it had become covered in Co-Op brand non-bio washing powder. It was like an inadvertent winter wonderland. Actually that made me chuckle more than doing my head in.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The pc brigade are trying to ban christmas!!!!

No, really, the idea that people used to have real candles on Christmas trees is incredible...all those nice dry, oil-rich pine needles? Christmas in Victorian times must have been a regular holocaust.

But now, thanks to the PC Nanny State Killjoy Brigade, you can't even have a family picnic in the fast lane of the M4 any more in case it offends a passing Sikh. :(

/Stewart Lee

mos dan

fact music
indeed, but Faber have just released a book about banter and it's always a complaint on pub review websites that the staff were unfriendly 'we weren't expecting much, just some light banter', which i always unfairly interpret as 'you told the barmaid to cheer up it might never happen, and somehow that didn't do the trick'.

to me the word 'banter' has horrendous connotations. banter=the dribblings of brainless, sexually repressed, misogynistic, lager-swilling, rugby-playing, public schoolboy tory cunts. yes, i went to oxford.

mos dan

fact music

i really don't understand the publishing industry.. i just checked out the book you mean: http://www.faber.co.uk/work/qi-advanced-banter/9780571233724/

it's just a book of quotations. it's got nothing to do with q.i. or the concept of 'banter', whatever that would involve. the quotes on the cover are the same ones i've seen a thousand times before.

pointless, but it does my head in.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
i really don't understand the publishing industry.. i just checked out the book you mean: http://www.faber.co.uk/work/qi-advanced-banter/9780571233724/

it's just a book of quotations. it's got nothing to do with q.i. or the concept of 'banter', whatever that would involve. the quotes on the cover are the same ones i've seen a thousand times before.

pointless, but it does my head in.

Haha, brand values! These books remind me of the graffiti books from back in the day.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Where would books of quotations be without Winston Churchill and Oscar Wilde? I'm sure they said most of the quotes that have been said by anyone, ever, between them.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
No, really, the idea that people used to have real candles on Christmas trees is incredible...all those nice dry, oil-rich pine needles? Christmas in Victorian times must have been a regular holocaust.

But now, thanks to the PC Nanny State Killjoy Brigade, you can't even have a family picnic in the fast lane of the M4 any more in case it offends a passing Sikh. :(

/Stewart Lee

we still have candles on our tree every year

they're obviously not always lit

i think when we run out of candles every few years or so my mum has to mail order them from germany or something, it's long. but we're committed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm guessing Yogi Berra isn't familiar?

Oh yeah, he's good for those too. I particularly like the one about a beach or picnic spot or something: "More people would come here if it wasn't so crowded" and one that's close to my heart, "In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory: in practice, there is." :)

STN

sou'wester
I can't believe that there are three people in London who are such immense bell-ends that they would not stop for me on a zebra crossing when it was pouring with rain, but, judging by Saturday evening, there are.

mixed_biscuits

I can't believe that there are three people in London who are such immense bell-ends that they would not stop for me on a zebra crossing when it was pouring with rain, but, judging by Saturday evening, there are.

Have you tried stepping out determinedly whilst improvising a 'stop' signal with your umbrella? It works for my mum.