Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Putting up full mp3s for free download without getting permission is a different kettle of fish, I wouldn't defend that.
(The exception perhaps being things that are out of print).

Caught Ramadanman here in Boston last night, incredibly refreshing set, great energy and vibes, people were still dancing when the lights came up. So great to hear the Pearson Sound stuff on a good system, it's such fwd>> fucking music, especially Wad.

Nice to hear Fuzzy Logik, Hyph Mngo and Nextaconda as well, made me all fuzzy inside. We don't get to check these sounds in the club over here nearly enough...

mms

sometimes
hyph mngo, it's mid 90s detroit stringy electro with a touch of 2 step isn't it?
it's really nice, very 'classic', well built, reminds me of a claro intellecto's relationship to detroit, very nicely produced, upgraded for the times, anglofied but personally i find it a bit empty, it's a fairly predictable track and is a case of slightly changing the retroactive direction of the dubstep that is techno + dubstep to another part of technos history; instead of the more introspective deep and dubby sounds of basic channel where it's previously found inspiration, it's moved to the bitter sweet exhuberance of carl craig, kenny larkin, early artificial intelligence etc.

It feels like it follows up where macabre unit's lush 'lift off' started though, it's only taken 5 years for someone to follow that, and i'm sure it will sort out a few dancefloors good and proper.
Maybe it's a sign of the techno + dubstep side of dubstep becoming more confident and finding it's feet, maybe a reaction too to the upful vibes of funky?

lift off http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR162612

edit: actually what i reminds me most of is dave angel

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
haven't heard much lately but macabre unit used to have a real knack for lush synthetic textures and odd rhythms. be great if someone picked that up.

hyph mngo, it's mid 90s detroit stringy electro with a touch of 2 step isn't it?
it's really nice, very 'classic', well built, reminds me of a claro intellecto's relationship to detroit, very nicely produced, upgraded for the times, anglofied but personally i find it a bit empty, it's a fairly predictable track and is a case of slightly changing the retroactive direction of the dubstep that is techno + dubstep to another part of technos history; instead of the more introspective deep and dubby sounds of basic channel where it's previously found inspiration, it's moved to the bitter sweet exhuberance of carl craig, kenny larkin, early artificial intelligence etc.

Tend to agree that Hyph Mngo is missing just a little bit to really make it a special song. But I like this direction a lot more than the Basic Channel angle...I mean god damn people really just want to dance to dance music...

Also this is his first tune...talk about potential. I actually find myself listening to Fukd and Wet Look from his myspace a bit more often than Hyph Mngo at this point.

alex

Do not read this.
haven't heard much lately but macabre unit used to have a real knack for lush synthetic textures and odd rhythms. be great if someone picked that up.

oh yea, macarbe units tracks are deep, still play "dem no ready" & "its all about", big up T_!

mms

sometimes
Is techno+dubstep is more retroactive than grime+house?

what's grime + house?
are you trying to describe funky?
That doesn't really work as a description of funky though.

but yeah thats kinda retroactive too, but grime is newer, it's still going and has lots of unmined potential, that combination doesn't have the same connotations as the kind of techno the dubstep + techno bods are mining. cos they're mining musical techniques and tropes that were developed and done with 15 or so years ago and that techno has largely moved on from. The problem is with dubsteps approach to techno alot of the time for me anyway is its been too respectful and tasteful and grime by it's nature doesn't take to that kinda respect, it's not yet got a cannon of classics etc, it's not valued as music like techno is , it's not naturally an instrumental music too so there is more to do there whereas techno is. Plus with house + grime you have the idea of sophisticated + rough, rather than sophisticated + sophisticated, which just produces a quite conservative cannon of production. I think dubstep + techno is an interesting area, i've enjoyed some of the tracks but it's all been too tasteful, too respectful of techno's past tropes.

Last edited:

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
seriously vibing on highbury dub, if it means anything to you (that means drunken chair-skankin with arms all akimbo)

psssh... blix is maybe even better. salt shake your tongue.

Cheers man, planning a big release in september

think dubstep + techno is an interesting area, i've enjoyed some of the tracks but it's all been too tasteful, too respectful of techno's past glories.

Exactly what i feel on the 'tasteful' thing, i think so far both sounds have incorporated elements of the other without any intensification bar some extra bass oomph for the techno heads, it's been a dilution if anything.. but i love Hyph mingo, one of those tunes with a feeling trapped in it, just 2 mins of it in a mix works perfect i think, so it doesnt rinse itself out.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I don't think you could call Hyph Mngo polite, it's too emotionally upfront for that, but I can appreciate the argument that it's a tune with a lot of historical precedent to it. Still love it, it's a tune that's just clicked with me, but looking at things objectively it might not be the most exciting direction for large numbers of productions to go in.

cesrjb

Have thought for a while that Hyph is over Hyped. It's a good tune, but i agree with mms, esp. the early nineties techno thing(which i love)

Love that joy orbison mix, but it's the earlier tunes that really stand out, not Hyph..