gumdrops

was there a defining dubstep anthem/record in 2009? i cant think of one, except maybe emelkays when i look at you, and i know plenty of people on here at least dont like that one (i actually do, even in spite of its big stadium drums, and the fact that the best bit of doesnt go on nearly long enough)

tom lea

was there a defining dubstep anthem/record in 2009? i cant think of one, except maybe emelkays when i look at you, and i know plenty of people on here at least dont like that one (i actually do, even in spite of its big stadium drums, and the fact that the best bit of doesnt go on nearly long enough)
it's obv hyph mngo. it's as dubstep as untold's dubstep, or james blake or ikonika.

skream la roux remix i guess.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i think the defining essence of "dubstep" in 2009 was it's lack of definition, a healthy blurring at the edges of what and who dubstep was. picking one record feels arbitrary; what is more definitive was the delocalisation of ideas and dissolution of barriers to great effect.

tom lea

me too. but you know, he asked for a dubstep anthem and people were lusting over that since the first time skream played it

BareBones

wheezy
i have time for the la roux remix. it's easy to get snobbish about these things but i reckon if it wasn't a big tune in the indie scene - and if la roux wasn't such a cunt - and still was seen as "underground", most of the haters would love it. that drum n bass bit at the end is really shit though.

I quite like that remix for its unabashed drive towards 'ANTHEM' status.

Exactly. I didn't like it at first, slegged the balls out of it actually.. but it's unifying factor completely won me over. I love Hyph Mngo more than i did at first for this reason too, house heads, dubstep heads.. gets a brilliant reaction, a reaction i'm seeing less of as everything gets more fragmented, or maybe it's just where i live/the nights i'm going to.

alex

Do not read this.
i think the reason why I didnt go for it that much was I got so bored of the same old plodding halfstep sound halfway into last year, and havent really felt much of that template, unless it's done surprisingly well, and is hidden behind mounds of percussion. Just my 2p, although I can see the appeal!!!

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I quite like that remix for its unabashed drive towards 'ANTHEM' status.

I felt kind of the same about Joker's remix of SMD/Beth Ditto. Actually thought it could have been a bigger tune that it was (although maybe it has turned out that way by now and I've just missed it).

benjybars

village elder.
Joker - Digidesign.

surely.

came out about feb i think?

or

Joker & Ginz - Purple City

or

Joker - Do It

Last edited:
Ive only just realised that the latest Non-plus isn't Instramental and Skream,

Minimalistix is stupid and easily the best thing from Skream in a while, is this were his productions are heading for 2010?

Anyone for Anaconda for anthem of 09?

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Never got the fuss over this, bored within about 2 plays.

purple city is incredible however!

thank god someone else said this....i thought i was just not getting it. prefer anything else i've heard by him.

Mind you I don't get untold, which would probably be enough for summary execution under a Dissensian regime? he definitely has his own style, but...

All about Skream/Guido/Joker's other stuff for me. And, ahem, Hyph Mngo.

Last edited: