hint

party record with a siren
i put it to Mr Cox on Twitter that this is bullshit and sadly he's yet to get back to me.

I think this has got a bit muddled.

As I understand it, Carl Cox is just saying that he played that pre-dubstep dark Garage stuff, but wasn't "known" for it.

Zinc confirmed on Twitter that Carl Cox played stuff like "138 Trek" and "Go DJ". SO I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that he was aware of and perhaps also playing out stuff on Texture / Soulja etc.

Last edited:

Esp

i put it to Mr Cox on Twitter that this is bullshit and sadly he's yet to get back to me.

However there is the small issue that he needs to get to the back of the queue behind Korn, Timbaland and that other bonkers conscious US MC who have all variously claimed they invented dubstep, despite no actual involvement.

While Timbaland didnt invent dubstep, he did pioneer a kind of drum syncopation and emphasis on the snare which dubstep employs. When you listen to his earlier stuff it is very reminiscent of Dubstep rhythmically:

Not to open that can of worms again but I do think with the Timbaland example, what he said was really not as outlandish as people made out at the time.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I think this has got a bit muddled.

As I understand it, Carl Cox is just saying that he played that pre-dubstep dark Garage stuff, but wasn't "known" for it.

Zinc confirmed on Twitter that Carl Cox played stuff like "138 Trek" and "Go DJ". SO I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that he was aware of and perhaps also playing out stuff on Texture / Soulja etc.

it's the taking credit for opening doors bit that's bollocks. Slimzee and Gee broke 138 trek anyway, because gee got it from soulja...

timbaland's influence was more directly on UKG, but you cant then say there would necessarily have been dubstep just because timbaland influenced its predecessor...

hint

it's the taking credit for opening doors bit that's bollocks. Slimzee and Gee broke 138 trek anyway, because gee got it from soulja...

Well, I don't think he's even doing that either - not claiming to have invented Dubstep, or broken records or anything.

It's badly worded, but I get the impression he's just saying that he's interested in new styles which people perhaps wouldn't have connected him with. I don't really know much about him... I certainly didn't know he played those types of tracks.

As for the opening doors bit - isn't that more of a "I was part of the first wave of international jetsetting superstar UK DJs" boast, rather than a "Dubstep would be nothing without me" boast?

why is it so insulting to people's ideals that Carl Cox might have played a bit of dubstep or dark garage anyway

rubberdingyrapids

^^right.

though i dont think timbaland was as influential on dubstep as he was on grime. though obviously, the main thing he did was let producers sample 'world' music, which dubstep in its 'golden era' absolutely loved to do.

that other bonkers conscious US MC

who is that?

everyone wants to claim a bit of dubstep though, so not surprised carl cox is saying that. dont think hes the only one using the term 'dubstep' quite broadly either.

im sure when grime producers talk about hearing dubstep early on, theyre prob talking about the dark garage stuff rather than knowing about early DMZ, prob same as carl cox.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
It's weird when people like Carl Cox come out with statements like that. Anyone could say what he did. Why he didn't declare his early love of Dubstep before now is what bugs.

hint

Yeah - it's definitely wrong of him to claim he was the only guy playing those records.

And it's outrageous that this soi-disant Dubstep evangelist Carl Cox gets to swan around the globe trading off his UKG lies, whilst the true pioneers like Skream and Benga scrape by on £150 pub gigs, their contribution criminally ignored by the mainstream media.

Right... who's gonna throw Doc Daneeka down some stairs for remixing Pathways?

petergunn

plywood violin
And it's outrageous that this soi-disant Dubstep evangelist Carl Cox gets to swan around the globe trading off his UKG lies, whilst the true pioneers like Skream and Benga scrape by on £150 pub gigs, their contribution criminally ignored by the mainstream media.

i wouldn't cry for benga and skream... i am sure they haven't DJed for 150 quid since 2007... but, yeah Carl Cox can go fuck himself...