mos dan

fact music
a friend of mine caught yunx and n-type at fwd the other week and said it was the most turgid no-brainer macho crap... allow that.

more positively, who's up for fwd on sunday?! dissensus crew repping, i hope!

viktorvaughn

a friend of mine caught yunx and n-type at fwd the other week and said it was the most turgid no-brainer macho crap... allow that.

I thought Youngsta was ok (tho not amazing) but N Type just played towards that abrasive almost metally stuf for sure...

stelfox

Beast of Burden

i'll be there. blackdown's album launch, the day after my birthday... kind of morally wrong not to

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To me Spongebob should work as a mixing tool within a set because it's an explosion of energy. Unfortunately it's such an explosion of energy that people seem to think it's a good idea to have whole sets comprising of nothing BUT Spongebob. I suppose it is a good idea if you just want hyped up people screaming for a reload the whole time.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Thanks for the kind words - I hope you like the mix.

You're completely right about the prominence of the SF scene, but I dunno. I'm a romantic - when I go to a dubstep dance in SF I feel like something's missing, even though I've got no point of reference other than the images I imagine and a few fuzzy youtube vids of DMZ. It just seems like the music isn't VITAL for the people here.

The promoters and the producers are enthusiastic as can be - there's a really strong feeling that they connect with the music and want to share it with people, but the message has been lost somehow.

When Rusko and Caspa came through not too long ago, I was going absolutely mental when the set started, hearing Mr. Muscle on a big rig for the first time, and when I headed back to the bar I just couldn't help notice that the only people really into the music were the DJs.

Partially I think the climate of the SF underground is the issue. It's primarily made up of off-season Burning Man devotees. They're interested in exhibitionism and psychedelics first, and are generally dispassionate about music unless it has some sort of overt, hippie-values message.

The visceral impact, the sonic innovation, the narrative in the sound, it feels inaccessible here. But then again, it's probably me. It's hard to make people in my 30-year-old age-group believe that salvation lies in a bassline so big it can affect your breathing.

Interesting observations on SF. I feel a bit differently about it though.

It depends a lot on who is throwing the party and the space it is in.
I always feel a stronger connection between the music and the people at the smaller events.
Quest and Silkie were received really well here in (SF) although the crowd was small - the vibe anc connection were there.

Last edited:

Kuma

The Konspirator
best thing for any group of enthusiasts one step geographically removed from a given sound's core nucleus is to redefine the scene on their own terms. find local inspiration or direction and run with it.

hell, it's worked for the UK for decades, just look at the twist UK garage was on US garage/house. so for the US right now, check what Starkey's doing...

Precisely. Part of what excites me about being SF in a couple of weeks is tha what I'm going to hear is that I'm going to hear that redefinition that comes from a core scene that have chosen to tweak in new directions (see Matty G, Dub-U and DJG as examples).

Blessed be the internet for then I can get my rinsefm sets and go straight to the heart, but I'm just as intrigued by those mutations defined by distance and space that create brand new original sounds (last four words yelled ala mc gq).

Ory

warp drive
In a different way, but not always worse.

I see what you're saying. Sadly though, I've heard very little from the US that stands up to what I've come to expect from UK/Euro acts, Starkey being an exception. Too many poor Coki-ripoffs, which is strange considering how much there is to take influence from; Detroit, Chicago, New York... a lot of it remains untapped. Such a shame.

Quick request- has anyone got those Skream and Benga Big Apple mixes?

mp3 player broke and i've lost loads, can't find those anywhere though.

petergunn

plywood violin
best thing for any group of enthusiasts one step geographically removed from a given sound's core nucleus is to redefine the scene on their own terms. find local inspiration or direction and run with it.

hell, it's worked for the UK for decades, just look at the twist UK garage was on US garage/house. so for the US right now, check what Starkey's doing...

also Drop the Lime, Mathhead, Secret Agent Gel...

funny how all came out of breakcore...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
also Drop the Lime, Mathhead, Secret Agent Gel...

funny how all came out of breakcore...

I think that really says what I've been saying about the changes in dubstep's general demographic better than anything else. not that this is a criticism at all. also strange that after all my grumbling, i've actually been enjoying dubstep more lately than i have in a long time, too. re blackdown's launch i, unfortunately, missed it. had a blinding headache last night which came on just as i was about to step out. i'm trusting it went well, though.

it was really good

joker and oneman were brilliant

blackdown sounded good aswell, but unfortunately i had to leave half way through his set. some deep vibes though, very earthy

Alfons

Way of the future
thought I might pimp a mix I did here, since the last one I did got a nice response
Kalli - June Dubstep Mix

http://kalli.breakbeat.is/mp3/kalli_-_juni_dubstep_mix.mp3

1. Peverelist & Appleblim – Over Here (Skull Disco)
2. TRG & Dub U – Losing Marbles (Hotflush)
3. 2562 – Enforcers (Tectonic)
4. Komonazmuk – Bad Apple (H.E.N.C.H.)
5. L-Wiz – Smogged (Dub Police)
6. Ramadanman – Blimey (Hessle Audio)
7. Kode9 feat. Spaceape – Konfusion Vox (Hyperdub)
8. Mala – Lean Forward (DMZ)
9. Marc Ashken – Roots Dyed Dark (Skream Remix) (Leftroom)
10. Peverelist – Infinity is Now (Tectonic)
11. Björk – Hyperballad (One Little Indian)
12. Martyn – All I Have is Memories (Applepips)
13. TRG – Broken Heart (Martyn’s DCM Mix) (Hessle Audio)
14. Sully – Give Me Up (2nd Drop)
15. Burial – Unite (Soul Jazz)

Shameless... :rolleyes:

mos dan

fact music
it was great.

all the sets were quality and the system was sounding MINT!

benjy has now officially used up all his 'wheel-it-up' credits for the year ;) how many times did you pull up those dnb riddims mate?! lol.

i really enjoyed it! my crew stupidly spent too long in mangal 2 gawking at gilbert and george and didn't arrive til oneman had finished (learning the lesson of how to 'do' sunday fwds: turn up at 9, not 11.30). caught the end of joker and all of dusk and blackdown though, great stuff. was it just me or was the (brilliant) joker playing some of the most grotesquely male rusko-esque drubstep as his final tune(s)?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
was it just me or was the (brilliant) joker playing some of the most grotesquely male rusko-esque drubstep as his final tune(s)?

i booked joker to do a 'wonky' set, and then spent the next the next three months having to remind him of the no-wobble policy.

it became a kind of battle, where he asked before, during and towards the end of, if he could end his set with ten minutes of wobble. when it came to his last tune i gave in...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i booked joker to do a 'wonky' set, and then spent the next the next three months having to remind him of the no-wobble policy.

it became a kind of battle, where he asked before, during and towards the end of, if he could end his set with ten minutes of wobble. when it came to his last tune i gave in...
That sounds pretty good to me, actually. It's only when it goes on for hours on end that it gets overly predictable and boring and I give up and go for a drink.

I saw 2562 recentlyish and he was ace but after the DJ before him had played an hour of clever minimal stuff and he'd played two hours of clever minimal stuff, when the dj after came on with some clever minimal stuff I'd actually have been quite glad if someone had put on Cockney Thug. Compare with (say) the DSF awards night where I spent a couple of hours getting deep to Antisocial and yourself and then went downstairs to finish the night with half an hour of mindless boshing to Caspa and Rusko. Everyone's a winner.