gremino

Moster Sirphine
"although as he clarifies in the interview following the Rupture set, he is no longer excited by dubstep or grime and instead has been listening to instrumental hip hop from LA and percussive pirate music coming out of the house scene (’not straight 4/4′, though)."

Kode9 going funky then eh? :)

elgato

I just dont know
imo all of the prophesising about funky is coming completely true, for me parts of it are by far and away the most exciting things going on in uk dance music at the moment

think its funny how Kode 9 seems to be trying to push away / deny the house element though

Last edited:

Poet for Hire

think its funny how Kode 9 seems to be trying to push away / deny the house element though

Doubt he's trying to deny it considering how housey his dubstep sets have been this year. With funky, the 4/4 stuff definately doesn't sound as fresh as the soca beat stuff.

Ory

warp drive
Kode's repeatedly pointed out that he doesn't like straight 4x4 music much, so I doubt it's denying the house influence as much as it is disliking rigid beats.

elgato

I just dont know
4x4 ≠ rigid in my opinion. also (obviously) house is much more than 4x4

dunno, i can't speak for the man, and he is (to understate it!) a pretty deep guy, so i shouldn't make such assumptions about his opinion. it just seemed a bit weird in that interview how he said that this stuff is basically grime + soca

elgato

I just dont know
finally got some cash to buy some tunes, and got Lady Dub, have to reiterate how sick it is. so disorientatingly warm. i'll be awaiting the next installments eagerly :)

mms

sometimes
4x4 ≠ rigid in my opinion. also (obviously) house is much more than 4x4

dunno, i can't speak for the man, and he is (to understate it!) a pretty deep guy, so i shouldn't make such assumptions about his opinion. it just seemed a bit weird in that interview how he said that this stuff is basically grime + soca

that's exactly what alot of the emerging stuff made by ex grime producers sounds like tho, grime had that for a while too less explicitly, albeit without the ground-crushing heaviness and speed of soca though, however from what i hear, most soca nowdays has a fucking massive steppers style kick to it though in all fairness.

Most western music is 4 4
but whether the bass drum is emphasized on every beat of the bar or the emphasis is on the percussive elements are two different things, most house music, has that emphasis on the kick nowdays, early techno didn't but minimal definitely does, garage or jungle didn't nor does dubstep you know.

elgato

I just dont know
that's exactly what alot of the emerging stuff made by ex grime producers sounds like tho, grime had that for a while too less explicitly, albeit without the ground-crushing heaviness and speed of soca though, however from what i hear, most soca nowdays has a fucking massive steppers style kick to it though in all fairness.

i dunno, more or less everything i hear from the scene (except maybe Little Silver and JME) has a very distincive house flavour, or at least something which clearly ties it to that lineage. to posit it as a complete break i think is misjudged. whether he was doing that or not im not sure. also i think rnb is a key influence for a few producers, and that there is some precedent in dancehall production

i was also thinking back about this 4x4 (as in 4 to the floor) = 'rigid' thing a while back, and was thinking that a lot of this broken uk stuff is actually extremely rigid and angular (as was grime), its just not as 'straight' or unbroken. wheras say old-school 4x4 garage was ridiculously swung, much less rigid in a sense (in the way that i understand the word). whats wrong with rigidity anyhow?... even if funk is the only thing you value, rigid can be as funky as anything else. i find rules like that (4x4 = rigid = boring) strange things

optimum

Poochie
HDB014
12" vinyl

A. King Midas Sound - 'Cool Out'
B1. King Midas Sound - 'Lost' (Flying Lotus Remix)
B2. King Midas Sound - 'One Ting' (Dabrye Remix)

Release date 15/09/08

HDB015
12" vinyl & digital

Ikonika
A. Millie
B. Direct

Release Date: 29/09/08

The Dabrye remix in particular is amazing. Great news for the scene, hyperdub going from strength to strength

mms

sometimes
i dunno, more or less everything i hear from the scene (except maybe Little Silver and JME) has a very distincive house flavour, or at least something which clearly ties it to that lineage. to posit it as a complete break i think is misjudged. whether he was doing that or not im not sure. also i think rnb is a key influence for a few producers, and that there is some precedent in dancehall production

i was also thinking back about this 4x4 (as in 4 to the floor) = 'rigid' thing a while back, and was thinking that a lot of this broken uk stuff is actually extremely rigid and angular (as was grime), its just not as 'straight' or unbroken. wheras say old-school 4x4 garage was ridiculously swung, much less rigid in a sense (in the way that i understand the word). whats wrong with rigidity anyhow?... even if funk is the only thing you value, rigid can be as funky as anything else. i find rules like that (4x4 = rigid = boring) strange things

there is more stuff like that coming though.

rigid is just centering everything around the kick drum, i mean, obv a richie hawtin track is more rigid than boo by miss dynamite. as the percussion is more apparent.
The problem with ridgid is that if you don't like it it's quite opressive, personally i prefer a mix of swing and 4 4 stuff, but i'm not keen on music that just goes duff duff duff duff.

elgato

I just dont know
see i disagree, but its just a matter of semantics essentially, 'rigidity' to me is how tight a rhythm is to a straight rhythmic grid, not how much it centres on a regular kick (although obviously there's overlap)

but this isn't really worth discussing i don't think, cos its just semantics.

on the house thing, i guess i just don't want to see critics / commentators sever unfashionable heritage and for it to get railroaded into a compound of established styles, which remove what made it exciting again in the first place. i would like to see house remain in its blood but in new (probably borderline unrecognisable) incarnations... this is already happening with some producers i think

mms

sometimes
see i disagree, but its just a matter of semantics essentially, 'rigidity' to me is how tight a rhythm is to a straight rhythmic grid, not how much it centres on a regular kick (although obviously there's overlap)

but this isn't really worth discussing i don't think, cos its just semantics.

on the house thing, i guess i just don't want to see critics / commentators sever unfashionable heritage and for it to get railroaded into a compound of established styles, which remove what made it exciting again in the first place. i would like to see house remain in its blood but in new (probably borderline unrecognisable) incarnations... this is already happening with some producers i think

For me funky house, the sort of bongo heavy 4 4 tasteful world house thing, that's been around for like 15 years coming out of strictly rhythm and masters at work, regardless of developments from all over the world during that time, has managed to stay incredibly dull, despite being ubiquitous, so for some developments to upset the apple cart from the inside is really welcome.

elgato

I just dont know
For me funky house, the sort of bongo heavy 4 4 tasteful world house thing, that's been around for like 15 years coming out of strictly rhythm and masters at work, regardless of developments from all over the world during that time, has managed to stay incredibly dull, despite being ubiquitous, so for some developments to upset the apple cart from the inside is really welcome.

yeh i agree, i was gonna say that i would step back at the point that people deny any role for house, but maybe the way forward for music generally is to deny any anchors whatsoever (but that applies equally to all the chat about it sounding like early grime or soca)

optimum

Poochie
The Generation Bass show on Mary Anne Hobbs show was pretty good. Standout set for me was Joker. Mainly his own stuff, as well as stuff by Rustie and Gemmy I think. Very chaotic and colourful.