noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That 2000F remix of Natasjia whatserface. Holy Farking Fark! :)

Who remembers 2000F's first post on dubstepforum in March 2006 when he listed all the equipment they had in their studio. Serious.

http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28109&highlight=#28109

disalimiter.jpg

hucks

Your Message Here
Wow, such a big show, absolutely SICK.

"Starkey "Gutter Music" (unreleased)"

SHUT UP, this track is nonsense. PJ done good here. Need this bad.

Indeed. Wicked set....I really like the Sway tune, too. I was wondering where he'd got to

viktorvaughn

event-290608.gif

N-Type and Youngsta going a garage set? That sounds amazing.

No garage to be seen sadly.

Headhunter was really good, like his driving techno-y sound.

Youngsta was quite good.

N-Type was drifting into generic aggressive abrasive stuff.

El-B next weekend!

I think that atmosphere for Sunday FWDs is slowly getting better and better, from 11-12.30 it was perfect, enough people having a wicked time and dancing a bit but not too rammed and no wankers.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
MALA wrote:

peace and respect

Here is the line up for saturday 5th July. THE MASS - BRIXTON.

DIGITAL MYSTIKZ & LOEFAH
QUEST & SILKIE
DISTANCE
APPLEBLIM
D1
BENNY ILL
ONEMAN

SGT POKES, CRAZY D

www.myspace.com/dmzuk

Pretty great lineup, can't really see there being any duff sets there.

Plus it's the summer one so it's all about half eating a burger at 6am in the sunshine :cool:

aaron_shinn

After waiting quite a while to get the right set together, I've finished a new dubstep mix. I'm attempting to capture a bit of what's been happening in the scene over the last year from my distant vantage point in San Francisco.

Audio and tracklist here.

ripley

After waiting quite a while to get the right set together, I've finished a new dubstep mix. I'm attempting to capture a bit of what's been happening in the scene over the last year from my distant vantage point in San Francisco.

Audio and tracklist here.

Hey looks good! DL-ing now..

but SF isn't so distant a vantage on dubstep... there's Matty G, Juju, Djunya, ESKMO, The Antiserum, Dubsworth, Roommate, DJG as producers, for starters!

and for promoters: Narco Hz, Grime City, Surefire, Bassism, Brap Dem, Surya Dub, The Makeout Sessions all do dubstep on the regular...

it's a global ting now...

Alfons

Way of the future
Appleblim just did a Resident Advisor podcast: residentadvisor.net
it's really good, and its getting a good response from the ra forum guys to.

and of course martyn and trg on mah last night. Good stuff!

aaron_shinn

Hey looks good! DL-ing now..

but SF isn't so distant a vantage on dubstep... there's Matty G, Juju, Djunya, ESKMO, The Antiserum, Dubsworth, Roommate, DJG as producers, for starters!

and for promoters: Narco Hz, Grime City, Surefire, Bassism, Brap Dem, Surya Dub, The Makeout Sessions all do dubstep on the regular...

it's a global ting now...

Thanks for the kind words - I hope you like the mix.

You're completely right about the prominence of the SF scene, but I dunno. I'm a romantic - when I go to a dubstep dance in SF I feel like something's missing, even though I've got no point of reference other than the images I imagine and a few fuzzy youtube vids of DMZ. It just seems like the music isn't VITAL for the people here.

The promoters and the producers are enthusiastic as can be - there's a really strong feeling that they connect with the music and want to share it with people, but the message has been lost somehow.

When Rusko and Caspa came through not too long ago, I was going absolutely mental when the set started, hearing Mr. Muscle on a big rig for the first time, and when I headed back to the bar I just couldn't help notice that the only people really into the music were the DJs.

Partially I think the climate of the SF underground is the issue. It's primarily made up of off-season Burning Man devotees. They're interested in exhibitionism and psychedelics first, and are generally dispassionate about music unless it has some sort of overt, hippie-values message.

The visceral impact, the sonic innovation, the narrative in the sound, it feels inaccessible here. But then again, it's probably me. It's hard to make people in my 30-year-old age-group believe that salvation lies in a bassline so big it can affect your breathing.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Interesting post, when i go to DMZ and it's really mental it's like a big 'london' party. That's how i feel, it's stretches back to rave,d'n'b, tekno & dub. The music seems a celebration of all the good stuff to have come out of the city which is why everyone's feeling it. Maybe that doesn't translate to SF. Heard alot of dubstep at the Italy Unsound beach party. Whilst this was good early evening it really didn't work late at night, it's like you need dem walls an dark mood to make the music happen, people were really moaning :D

ripley

Interesting post, when i go to DMZ and it's really mental it's like a big 'london' party. That's how i feel, it's stretches back to rave,d'n'b, tekno & dub. The music seems a celebration of all the good stuff to have come out of the city which is why everyone's feeling it. Maybe that doesn't translate to SF. Heard alot of dubstep at the Italy Unsound beach party. Whilst this was good early evening it really didn't work late at night, it's like you need dem walls an dark mood to make the music happen, people were really moaning :D

I get you, I think. Blackdown said something similar when he was visiting. As we drove through all the crazy sunsets and huge natural vistas that SF has to offer, dubstep seemed rather alien and out of place in the sunshine and mist.. so it's not gonna be the same. But I don't think that means it's necessary less.

also, it's true, the history of dubstep is not in SF. And it's still a dj scene more. But hey --electronic dance music in the US generally is more of a dj scene, it never has been popular on the mass level the way it has been in England & Europe.

still though, things are percolating here. In a different way, but not always worse. Sometimes the insularity of a homegrown scene can get a bit sterile & self-congratulatory .. no offense London dubsteppers I love y'all... actually I was thinking of when I was there in 2000 and in the drumnbass scene it was Andy C playing every freaking week, felt like in that scene I never heard anything new or experimental or from outside London because every party had to represent london and such.. felt like it sucked a lot of the air out of the scene in the end... dunno if that explains what killed it in the US..

Blackdown

nexKeysound
best thing for any group of enthusiasts one step geographically removed from a given sound's core nucleus is to redefine the scene on their own terms. find local inspiration or direction and run with it.

hell, it's worked for the UK for decades, just look at the twist UK garage was on US garage/house. so for the US right now, check what Starkey's doing...

Eric

Mr Moraigero
went to a dubstep party last night here in tokyo, goth-trad et al's thing, the bug was there this time w/japanese mc. his set was very good. I was a bit surprised at a lot of the other stuff I heard, after not paying much attention to dubstep for some months now. last I remember the sounds were pretty spacious, tempos slowish, bass rattling but liquid. with a lot of what I heard last night the sounds were packed tight, tempos quick, tweaky, sounded pretty cokey (not Coki) white powder sounds to me. industrial sounding. a bit of a disappointment frankly. is this where the scene is going? reminded me somewhat of a lot of recent drumnbass: fast and monotone, though not nearly as boring.

viktorvaughn

went to a dubstep party last night here in tokyo, goth-trad et al's thing, the bug was there this time w/japanese mc. his set was very good. I was a bit surprised at a lot of the other stuff I heard, after not paying much attention to dubstep for some months now. last I remember the sounds were pretty spacious, tempos slowish, bass rattling but liquid. with a lot of what I heard last night the sounds were packed tight, tempos quick, tweaky, sounded pretty cokey (not Coki) white powder sounds to me. industrial sounding. a bit of a disappointment frankly. is this where the scene is going? reminded me somewhat of a lot of recent drumnbass: fast and monotone, though not nearly as boring.

Last time I saw Skream he was rubbish - harsh, metallic, industirial as you say. The type of tuens that one or two at the peak of an hours set would kill it, but getting them back to back is pretty poor.