Boozeless cold remedies

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not thinking of scotch as booze but MEDECINE really helps I find.

Is that at al similar to medicine? ;)

I think the thing with cold medicines is that all they do is ameliorate the symptoms (which is obviously a lot better than nothing), but there are things you can do that will help your body actively fight off the virus, thus reducing the lenght of time you suffer from it. Boosting the immune system with vit C being an obvious example.

zhao

there are no accidents
What? You need ENERGY to stay alive, and to be able to do anything, e.g. fight off infection.
If you go on some crazy fruitarian diet you're only going to make yourself ill(er) because you won't be taking in enough calories, which you get from carbohydrates and fats. You might be getting some sugars from the fruit, but probably not enough. And if you're repairing damaged tissue you'll need protein too, of which animal products are a much better source than plant ones.

listen to this at your own peril. most of it is very, very wrong.

energy does not come from protein and especially not cooked meat. this is absolutely false. a world wide common misconception.

burnt animal protein toxifies your system, slow down your system, weighs down your body by requiring lots more energy to digest, and leaves harmful chemicals behind.

the human body needs very little protein to stay strong and healthy. if one was to eat meat, a piece of it the size of your thumb contains enough protein for a week.

i know this from trusted sources of knowledge as well as personal experience -- after 40 days of NOTHING BUT vegetable juice and herbal supplements, having not had a single gram of animal protein, i had MUCH MORE PHYSICAL ENERGY than when I am eating "normally".

oh and i absolutely discourage from normal over the counter cold medicine. that stuff predominantly fights short term symptoms and prolongs the actual illness.

and booze weakens the immune system even more than normal food. sure it can kill germs but unless the germs are in your stomach, and in the case of a cold / flu it isn't, alcohol doesn't do shit other than make you weaker.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
energy does not come from protein and especially not cooked meat. this is absolutely false. a world wide common misconception.

What? I never said that, I said you need protein to build tissue. Protein is what animals (thats you and me!) are made of.
Energy comes from starches and sugars (collectively, carbohydrates) and fats. Most kinds of animal meat contains fat too - it doesn't 'take up' energy to digest, it PROVIDES energy. Eating meat only becomes a problem if you either go ridiculously overboard and end up wth gout, or don't eat enough fibre, in which case it sits in your colon for too long. Protein deficiency, however, fucks you up royally, "killing 10 million and affecting 500 million people a year", according to this. :eek:

N

nomadologist

actually, energy comes from ATP, which transports chemical energy to cells for cell metabolism. protein creates more energy more efficiently and our entire metabolism (as the obesity diets like Atkins bear out) evolved around living on a steppe and surviving on a kill or two a week for an entire tribe for 10s of thousands of years.

If you want to be literal, anything "toxifies" our system, including plants. If you want to make more energy faster that will last longer, you eat meat. If you want to fuck up your blood sugar/insulin levels, you eat only carbohydrates.

EDIT: I was a vegetarian for 8 years, and in my experience, I can eat far far less as a carnivore and the resulting energy last much longer

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

i know this from trusted sources of knowledge as well as personal experience -- after 40 days of NOTHING BUT vegetable juice and herbal supplements, having not had a single gram of animal protein, i had MUCH MORE PHYSICAL ENERGY than when I am eating "normally".

fasting of any kind will release certain chemicals (including seratonin and dopamine) that can provide feelings of "elation" or increased energy. this is why religious people of all stripes have been doing it forever.

fast for any longer than 30-40 days, and your liver starts to lose its vitamin and mineral reserves and eventually you'll die.

N

nomadologist

To the best of your knowledge?

Look up "krebs cycle" and get back to me.

zhao

there are no accidents
fasting of any kind will release certain chemicals (including seratonin and dopamine) that can provide feelings of "elation" or increased energy. this is why religious people of all stripes have been doing it forever.

false.

i went to the gym EVERY DAY. needed less sleep. i had actual increased physical energy levels, and not just "feelings of elation". i started feeling this after the first 5 days of the fast, and it continued for the entire duration. I WAS BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS EVERY DAY FOR A MONTH.

fast for any longer than 30-40 days, and your liver starts to lose its vitamin and mineral reserves and eventually you'll die.

not unless you are taking the proper herbal supplements. which i was. (these supplements also contain enough protein for a healthy body)

zhao

there are no accidents
To the best of your knowledge?

Look up "krebs cycle" and get back to me.

actually, if you wanna get to the nitty gritty, the question is more complicated. because the act of COOKING kills most of the good and healthy things in anything you eat, including meat. raw beef is indeed a very healthy source of protein and energy, but a human body needs very, very little of it -- like i said, size of your thumb a week.

a burger does not "give you energy". only thing it does is slow you down, and weaken your system. well, and taste good.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Anyone want to chip in some boozeFUL cold remedies for comparison? When I worked at a liquor store my coworkers swore by the tried and true method of half a pint of Old Granddad 100-proof whiskey, curling up under a blanket, and "sweating it out."

N

nomadologist

False? According to whom, you? It is an abundantly observed and documented fact that fasting releases certain chemicals in the brain. I will look up links.

You can take all the supplements you want, but anyone who knows anything about chemistry or the human metabolism will tell you, that crap is being pawned off by an industry with a high stake in whether you believe a human will actually absorb 10,000% of the RDA of two hundred vitamins and minerals from a pill (or powder, or shake, or whatever.)

There are several vitamins and minerals that can't even be absorbed through the stomach (many are absorbed by the small intestine or elsewhere). By the time your stomach acid is done with those pills and powders, there are no absorbable "vitamins" left.

Homeopathic remedies are just as much a part of a bullshit industry as pharmacological ones. The only real way to be healthy is to eat a variety of healthy foods and be sure to eat lots of lean protein and leafy green/orange/brightly colored vegetables. Most fruits are mostly sugar although they're obviously still healthier than refined sugary candy bars and white flour-based foods...

N

nomadologist

actually, if you wanna get to the nitty gritty, the question is more complicated. because the act of COOKING kills most of the good and healthy things in anything you eat, including meat. raw beef is indeed a very healthy source of protein and energy, but a human body needs very, very little of it -- like i said, size of your thumb a week.

a burger does not "give you energy". only thing it does is slow you down, and weaken your system. well, and taste good.

cooking does not kill fatty acids, lipids, or protein.

the size of a thumb a week? actually, most unbiased nutritional sources I can find suggest about 4 or 5 oz of lean protein a day.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual

If I go longer than 10 days without a cheeseburger I become irritable.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The only real way to be healthy is to eat a variety of healthy foods and be sure to eat lots of lean protein and leafy green/orange/brightly colored vegetables. Most fruits are mostly sugar although they're obviously still healthier than refined sugary candy bars and white flour-based foods...

Yup, I'd go with that.

N

nomadologist

I think I may have misspelled "serotonin' somewhere up there

zhao

there are no accidents
False? According to whom, you? It is an abundantly observed and documented fact that fasting releases certain chemicals in the brain. I will look up links.

that's not the part that is false. the part that is false is using it to explain away my actually increased energy levels during the fast.