baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That Hot Chip track is actually great. The drums sound a bit muted and it could do with some more bass but the stings and vocals are fantastic, super catchy.

I kinda stopped paying attention after the first record too but I always had a soft spot for their geeky prince fan schtick.

I think their Top 20 garage records thing (well, actually only done by one member) in Fact lost them a little bit of respect on these pages... I always kinda liked them (great live too), listening to the remixes now....

Edit: It's got a frigging xylophone. How could it not be good?

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gears of War 2 + Marcus Nasty and Mak 10 classic set = a good afternoon

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Sorry to get on a negative tip, but - been having a look at the ILX funky thread again, and it's very helpful and informative in places, but it's brought home to me the question, why do people seem to hate radio these days? Radio sets are fun, dammit. And with the widespread use of the internet, it's never been easier to hear the pirates and other regional stations. Quite often you don't even need to catch the shows in real-time.
It's not just confined to that site, obv, it's an attitude I've seen creeping in all over the place. But I just don't get it, whatsoever. If you refuse to listen to radio you're going to needlessly deprive yourself of so much great music, especially i/r/t things like funky and grime.

Anyway, on a more positive note, that Ill Blu remix of Hot Chip is really nice.

Tim F

Sorry to get on a negative tip, but - been having a look at the ILX funky thread again, and it's very helpful and informative in places, but it's brought home to me the question, why do people seem to hate radio these days? Radio sets are fun, dammit.

Andy, obv I agree with you! I don't know why you'd prefer a polished mix over, say, the Petchy/Topsy/Dream set.

But I think many people have become used to the ready availability of high-bit-rate, profesh mini-mixes and the like, supported with nice artwork and tracklists and the like. Which, of course, are a good thing, but it can make people unwilling to make the initial series of compromises (on sound quality, on isolation of particular songs etc) that you need to make in order to start to hear the unique qualities of great radio sets. The (to me/you) obvious attraction of radio sets simply aren't that apparent to people who aren't already members of the choir.

I think one issue is that we're now so erm communicative in our tastes, to find nice tracks and to recommend them to all our friends and pass them on etc, and radio sets impose such a specific, totalising context on the material they contain that this particular impulse can be frustrated (except in terms of, like, "this Petchy set is amazing!").

This issue becomes something of a microcosm for a whole series of stumbling blocks that funky faces in attaining broader attention, most of which have been debated exhaustively in this thread!

gumdrops

you lot need to take a few steps back and make people work for this again. make it so they cant get in touch or keep up to date with this music unless they listen to a full radio set or god forbid actually tune in to a show when its live. more fun that way. plus you appreciate it more. be less communicative.

Tim F

Actually gumdrops I think if you read my post again without simply assuming I'm being snobbish you'll see that I'm actually defending people's suspicion of radio sets as somewhat reasonable - even though I like them myself.

gumdrops

Actually gumdrops I think if you read my post again without simply assuming I'm being snobbish you'll see that I'm actually defending people's suspicion of radio sets as somewhat reasonable - even though I like them myself.

you misunderstood me. wasnt saying you were snobbish, i was in fact being snobbish and saying people should be made to dive into radio sets.

Tim F

Xpost - thanks for the petchy set I mean!

Gumdrops ha I totally read that entire post sarcastically! Obv it has a totally different meaning if taken at face value... Apologies!

gumdrops

yeah forget all this rolling thread linkage, soundcloud malarkey and editing of sets so people can hear one isolated track, make them work for it. dont let em have it so easy. underground forever.
:p

Tim F

I guess one thing with UK funky is that it's all very either/or - you can have rollicking low-bit radio sets with awesome MCs and up-to-the-time tunes, or you can have clean but mostly somewhat inferior high-quality DJ sets put together by second tier DJs (with or without second tier MCs), or you can have musically adventurous but less focused sets from more borderline (as in between genre) DJs... but it's very difficult to get (what would be IMO) the best of all possible worlds.

A funky equivalent of UK Garage comps like 'Sound of the Pirates II' and 'Vocal Fusion' would be really useful in conveying to outsiders - i.e people not steeped in pirate radio - very quickly what the fuss was about.

Actually speaking of which 'Sound of the Pirates II' sounds really relevant when listened to with 'funky' ears. Ed Case probably would make awesome uk funky.

Benny Bunter

Another amazing Petchy set, even more hype than the last one. How long before MCs like Topsee, Dream and Shantie start vocalling dubs and putting tunes out? There's that great Topsee one at the end of that first Petchy set.

You're starting to get rewinds purely off MCs bars, like the 'Went to the rave, I was sober...' bit in this set. I'm pleased that its newer MCs like Topsee and Dream that are stting the levels rather than just getting established grime MCs in to do the job.