luka

It sounds like a good night, esp given what people were saying upthread about opportunities to see the top funky acts playing in London being a little thin on the ground at the moment.

nothing personal andy but can we please stop this. its bollocks. if you are willing to go beond shoreditch you can see these peole every weekend pretty much. its been established that people here are not willing to do so but it doesn't change the facts.

Benny Bunter

nothing personal andy but can we please stop this. its bollocks. if you are willing to go beond shoreditch you can see these peole every weekend pretty much. its been established that people here are not willing to do so but it doesn't change the facts.

ha ha, I knew you were going to say that Luka!

I'm inclined to agree though. Just from listening to Live FM you can tell there's stuff on every weekend cause the nights get advertised on there all the time. Practically half of the G Smallz and Krispy show on a sunday is given over to them discussing the previous night's shenanigans at events like 'Yummy' where all the live fm DJs seem to play. And they always sound like fun too.

Of course I've never been to one of these nights either but I live at the other end of the country and cant afford trips to London, otherwise I like to think I'd be checking them out.

Simon78

Was wondering if any London posters had made it down to Wifey yet? It sounds like a good night, esp given what people were saying upthread about opportunities to see the top funky acts playing in London being a little thin on the ground at the moment. Would be interested in hearing any reports as to what it's like. The one coming up on the 17th has Shantie and Ranking hosting, plus a set from the Engin-Ears, which for those who don't know is DJ Weeksy and Blu-Max. Weeksy in a club is one of those things I'd like to hear some time.

Its my favourite club night at the moment. Its at The Alibi which is a great club (its the where they film all of the Just Jam nights) and its always rammed.

I think there is a special guest this week that isn't on the flyer so should be another quality night. Get down there before 11 if you want to get in as its usually one in one out after 12.

I can understand the apprehension regarding Wifey but it's definitely not your typical Shoreditch night (nor is it even Shoreditch for that matter). As Simon said, it's a great venue, always rammed and the vibe in there is great. Soundsystem is fucking tough too. Highly recommend Wifey, always will.

Hard House Banton set there earlier this year was one of the best I've seen all year frankly.

luka

i wasn't knocking wifey. im sure its great. you know what point im making cos like benny b says i make it with monotonous regularity.

BareBones

wheezy
yeah always have a great time at wifey, and agree alibi is a wicked venue. sometimes (a lot of the time) it's a bit too rammed for my liking though, can take a fucking age to get a drink. that wavy night of 80s synth jams that the wifey guys put on the other month with funkineven was really good too

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Point taken Luka, I'll delete that part of the post as it's not important.
Bear in mind that because I'm away at the other end of the country I can only go by what London folks say on here about funky nights (plus ads on radio, twitter updates etc obviously). Which makes it pretty pointless for me to discuss them I guess, but I was genuinely interested to find out about Wifey.

Simon78

There is a live mix from the night here Andy.

Bluemaxx, MC Shantie & MC Dream
http://bluemaxxdj.podomatic.com/entry/2010-11-23T20_58_52-08_00

TRACKLIST 

1.RAIN REMIX.ANDY JAY
2.LOST MY WALLET.MARTIN BUTTRICH
3.MOTHERBOARD.CHUCKSTER REFIX
4.EXPLORE ME DUMPLING MIX.HANNAH LISTON
5.CONGO NATTY.DJ SUPA.D
6.SIGNAL 3.BY MONEY ANDERSON (EXCLUSIVE ENGIN-EARS PRODUCER)
7.FREE STYLE.FUZZY LOGIC
8.GAB REFIX.BY RIX
9.FUNKTION.BY MONEY ANDERSON (EXCLUSIVE ENGIN-EARS PRODUCER)
10.BLUE PANDA.BLUEMAXX DJ (EXCLUSIVE ENGIN-EARS PRODUCER)
11.CHILDS PLAY.LR.GROOVE
12.SLY FOX.MR TURBO (EXCLUSIVE ENGIN-EARS PRODUCER)
13GLICH IN THE SYSTEM.SHAY & SINISTER
14.MAXIMAL.BY MONEY ANDERSON (EXCLUSIVE ENGIN-EARS PRODUCER)
15.CONGO BLUEMAXX DUB. SCOTTY.D
16.CRACKISH.SMDD V.I.D. VERY IMPORTANT DUB
17.AMBASSADOR.BY MONEY ANDERSON (EXCLUSIVE ENGIN-EARS PRODUCER)
18.E79.BY KINK
19 KAYTONIK BLUEMAXX DUB.BY ROSKA

+ Hardhouse Banton did a mix for them http://wifey-ldn.com/2010/11/wifey-mixtape-3-hardhouse-banton/

Last edited:

franz

Oi oi, this show was a lot, big up Denoir for the link - I'd forgotten to listen to it at the time.
Along with Freestyle, some of the other tunes that were new to me & really jumped out at me included:
Carnao Beats - Biker Gonga
Ajay D - Straight Floor
Smoove Kriminal - Under The Influence
Murdz 86 - Mischief Mode
Bowly - Bleep
but basically the whole thing is good.
All about those 'reversed' sounding beats on Biker Gonga, jeeze.... :D

feller's all hesitant about it, but i quite like that Fuzzy Logic vocal. Just because it certainly won't blow up like In the Morning doesn't mean it's not pretty great. Other wise the Murdz track was the standout for me. a very nice set indeed.

sadly, i couldn't say the same for the HH Banton podcast via Wifey... maybe i'm missing the plot on some new old/old new iteration... but it sounds too electro and entirely lacking the amazing sappy r&b vibrations which i love in a lot of Banton tracks. all very very standard to these ears.