Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal

Downloading now.
For people that were saying before that one of the things that has held funky back is the fact that it hasn't gained much of an international contingent in the way that dubstep did (which to some extent I agree with), this guy's from Rome and he's a badman:
http://soundcloud.com/butintheweekend
Tropico is the one for me, love the way it keeps building when you think it's settled.

ifthe21st

The latest Marcus got out of control after about 1:30:00. I'm really feeling the aggi/minimal tunes played in this one. The ones that each got 3+ reloads. Wonder how well they do in a rave.

Any chance we have any IDs on these? That one with the sustained one note bassline esp.

Last edited:

outraygeous

A garage MC i follow on twitter says that alot of the minimal stuff being played now has kinda gone full circle and would of been acceptable in the garage times

also, there was some sort of meeting of some UKG people recently. Sorry wrong thread but the garage (not that future garage) might sneak back in?

Webstarr

The latest Marcus got out of control after about 1:30:00. I'm really feeling the aggi/minimal tunes played in this one. The ones that each got 3+ reloads. Wonder how well they do in a rave.

Any chance we have any IDs on these? That one with the sustained one note bassline esp.

any audio for this?

Tim F

also, there was some sort of meeting of some UKG people recently. Sorry wrong thread but the garage (not that future garage) might sneak back in?

I was startled to hear Wretch 32's "Traktor (The Mike Delinquent Project Remix)", which is basically a straight 2-step track that you might have heard in, oh 2001 say - roughly comparable to "Boom Selection" et. al.

This was on DJ Q's show on 1xtra, nominally a mixture of all (street) post-garage sounds (funky, bassline and grime mostly) but heavy on DJ Q's own kinda sound which was bassline but is increasingly bassline/grime cross.

Mike Delinquent seems more of a funky/bassline cross - not so much this tune which is straight 2-step revivalism really, but certainly stuff like his remix of KCat's "Epileptic".

luka

probably someone already said this but theres a ossie/petch mix availble for download on ossie's soundcloud. i like it. kicks off with alien which i really like. i love his singing actually. he's one of them that you could see the gilles' and the benji bs (gilles mini me) really getting into.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
kicks off with alien which i really like. i love his singing actually. he's one of them that you could see the gilles' and the benji bs (gilles mini me) really getting into.

Yeah definetly. Actually are him and Benji B aware of each other/in contact? If not then they should be. Saw that mix but hadn't got round to listening yet, will do today.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I was startled to hear Wretch 32's "Traktor (The Mike Delinquent Project Remix)", which is basically a straight 2-step track that you might have heard in, oh 2001 say - roughly comparable to "Boom Selection" et. al.

This was on DJ Q's show on 1xtra, nominally a mixture of all (street) post-garage sounds (funky, bassline and grime mostly) but heavy on DJ Q's own kinda sound which was bassline but is increasingly bassline/grime cross.

Mike Delinquent seems more of a funky/bassline cross - not so much this tune which is straight 2-step revivalism really, but certainly stuff like his remix of KCat's "Epileptic".

That DJ Q show's a lot of fun, isn't it? I guess on a slightly different tip from most of what we've been taling about in here, but not unrelated either.
Thing is though, it seems like loads of the best funky producers over the last 18 months or so have turned out to be ex or current bassline guys. Though the actual degree of bassline influence in their sound seems to vary. You can maybe hear the influence going the other way a bit too, although like you say the biggest new(er) influences on bassline seem to be grime & 2-step.

viktorvaughn

Hello

I've totally lost track of funky over the last year or so. Are there any excellent sets from last 12 or 18 months I need to get that are still around? Is Marcus still running things?! Petchy is a good bet too for the latest and best right?

Any more big defection from grime to funky?

Shame Beyond has disappeared.

Thanks in advance.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Hey Viktor, yeah Petchy and Marcus are def the radio shows that I listen to the most often, but there are a few others that are good to dip into every so often: Smoove Kriminal and Weeksey on Deja, Funkystepz, Ill Blu and Funk Butcher on Rinse, Pioneer on Kiss, and quite a few guys on Live FM like G Smallz, Jewlsy, Dangerous K etc. Live in general is nearly always good fun, even just to stick on for random shows.
Imo there's been at least half a dozen totally addictive and essential sets over the last year or so, althouh it's all subjective I guess. Will throw up some links in a bit, Benny B is sure to have lots of great sets as well.
Hasn't been that many big-name grime defections afaik, not on a 2009 level anyway, although as discussed on last page Jammin is MCing on Live sometimes and sounds really good. On the other hand Mak 10 has gone back to more or less just DJing grime so it's a two-way thing.

viktorvaughn

Thanks Andy, much appreciated.

I do sometimes stick Live FM on, nice to listed to the radio in this way rather than fussing about specific sets and having to download them and stick em in itunes or whatever. But I don't really pay attention to who the DJs are. Last couple of times Lady Ferrari seemed to be getting a large amount of regular shout outs, whoever she is:)

Pioneer used to do the house show on 1xtra right? I was sad when he wasn't listed there any more so good to know he's on Kiss - will have a peek now.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah that was Footloose who was on 1xtra. Since his show stopped he's another guy that seems to have vanished from the scene although maybe I've just not looked in the right places. Pioneer isn't quite as good as Footloose tbh, but still decent enough.
Haha yeah Ferrari gets loads of shouts, afaik she's just a friend of some of the djs and mcs, but then I thought that with Lady Gotti (another regular 'out to..' person) for ages but turns out she produces as well. That whole circle around Live of the people who play on the station plus the regular listeners and the promoters of the raves they're mostly at seems to be a very close-knit thing, sort of centred on the further east parts of east London and the inner parts of Essex.

alex

Do not read this.
lady ferrari has been around literally since I have been listening to pirates, it was fun to try and chase her around rinse, flava, raw miss & deja, see which one she is listening to, literally a shout on every show at one point. On Flava & Temptation she was in the phonebook lol, no doubt the same for rinse & deja