mms

sometimes
Hyping circle/dubbage as "the next big thing" just seems odd to me, a bit like caring about "funky" back in 2005. There's nothing in the music to distinguish it from a Jerome Sydenham DJ set from five years ago (and hasn't been for the 3 years of the scene's existence to date). That might change in the future at some point but hyping it now feels like trying to play the "hardcore continuum" like a stockmarket.

yep

outraygeous

Yeah I think you might be right here, and obviously I hope this is what happens.
At the moment though it feels like it's sort of going both ways at once. E.g. SK's just said that his next EP is going to be housey stuff, but then he's also got hard-edged funky bits like Stop Dat that the MCs love going over. Will be interesting to see how it all ends up obv.
What's the story behind Heartless dispanding anyway, or had they just had enough?

The London rave scene is in a mess. Lack of pirates, road rap being very popular with the youngers and the main clubs are full of DJs who are big on the internet. (no offence if that was offensive to anyone)

Think Heartless just turned it in, they have been at it a long time. Metric has been doing his own thing for a while.

You have to ask where are all the Londoners partying? Where are the goons going to go on a night out. Thats what built jungle and garage. When jungle got big, there was a shift in the demographics of the crowd and they started going garage dances. When garage declined... they went to funky. Funkys still going but its just been bubbling, people want hype again.

Smoove Kriminal

@SmooveKriminal <Twitter
Big Up SK! Glad to see you made it to Dissensus.

Hi mate, good to see you active on here! There's a fair amount of people on here that talk about and have varied opinions on the scene, be good to see how it's currently being percepted.

Btw, latest show: http://vulive.co.uk/content/2011/01/05/smoove-kriminal-on-deja-vu-–-mon-3rd-january-2011/

Features an exclusive new track from Murdz 86, some Sunday Roast, some other new UK House bits, as well as some new bits by me taken from an EP which im currently putting together called 'Night Trends' which should hopefully be coming out 14th Feb. Deffo looking forward to putting this out there.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Greyman - Blackberry Music EP out on Monday (iTunes, possibly other places).
Gugu - Afro-Cuban EP out on the 17th, previews on his Soundcloud that I posted before.
Also on Soundcloud, Scottie D is giving away some decent tracks for free:
http://soundcloud.com/scottmusik
Also also, Dream was saying on Twitter that he'll be putting out a free mixtape soon, but iirc he's said that before, so we'll see what happens.
God I love the bassline on Boot Install, really want to hear that played out now.
Going to stick on the set that Smoove posted in a second, got about 5 or 6 mixes and radio shows that I want to get through, going to be a weekend stuck in the headphones I reckon.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Oh yeah, also feeling this one quite a lot at the minute,
Selah ft Donaeo - Want You Out My House:
even though Donaeo's bit doesn't add that much to it (though I think he produced it too so fair enough).

Oh yeah, also feeling this one quite a lot at the minute,
Selah ft Donaeo - Want You Out My House:
even though Donaeo's bit doesn't add that much to it (though I think he produced it too so fair enough).

This was on that Ill Blu Rinse show that someone recommended a while back. Dont usually like these sort of tunes but Im feelin this too.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Can't sleep for some reason, so thought I'd do something pseudo-productive and post some clips from radio of tunes that I've been wanting IDs on for a while now.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/850325881198ab2a/
Would be very glad to know what the hell this tune is/who the hell it's by

http://www.zshare.net/audio/850330546e3b5c76/
Feeling this Jook 10 beat quite a lot, from what the MC says it might be called Dirtbag, but then he might just be describing it.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8503443077f9ee38/
One of my favourites from Petchy shows (got a sneaking feeling it might be by Coobe Beats, but that's just a guess based on the sound of it).

http://www.zshare.net/audio/851157531265b038/
This one has been around for ages now and got play from a few people, I'm sure someone here must know it?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/85035111238013ba/
From an Ill Blue show and I assume it's one of their own tunes, but again no idea of the name.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Yeah getting to hear him play a few of his tunes in a rave was def a highlight of last year for me.
He's one of the best producers I know for making tunes that are pretty much all bangers but still sound fresh and not all the same, if you see what I mean.

outraygeous

has this been posted before?

im going to sound like the jumpers for goal posts man from the fast show but gloves and coat in the studio hmmmm, having a drink and getting wheel ups when the dj knows your bars, heyyy

anyway, hope it aint been posted before. But thats vibes right there and the last track dont even sound like house

It got posted a while back its good to watch it again.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Found this the other day, nothing particularly going on. I just like watching videos of Live FM.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Hyping circle/dubbage as "the next big thing" just seems odd to me, a bit like caring about "funky" back in 2005. There's nothing in the music to distinguish it from a Jerome Sydenham DJ set from five years ago (and hasn't been for the 3 years of the scene's existence to date). That might change in the future at some point but hyping it now feels like trying to play the "hardcore continuum" like a stockmarket.

haha... we'll see, am happy to be wrong. but what's the point of a theory if you can't take it and use past performance as an indicator of future development?

outraygeous

The thing with big trends in London is, the people who make them big are your average working class Londoners who want to go out but are a lil bit more fussed than going down the local Ritzy.

Also, predominately black audiences are the ones kicking things off. The Circle thing is big but its not going to explode, I dont think they have any intentions of making it pop off like that.

But, i have mentioned before that I feel disconnected from music and raving/clubbing. Maybe its because of my age but these events are going to need venues and I dont know where they could happen.

Ill carry on looking in on music but I think people are concentrating to much on the net. No one is trying to fill the void of pirate radio amongst other things

alex

Do not read this.
TPR-Presents--Back.gif

C-Deep-A6-Square-Flyer-Fron.jpg

DPMO-March-Back.jpg

that enough events for you?

denoir

sorry, but can't help posting this vid :D czech "grime" mcs spitting over Seasons and Jumeirah Riddim :D

...at least they seem to be enjoying themselves :D

denoir

^ Yeah getting to hear him play a few of his tunes in a rave was def a highlight of last year for me.
He's one of the best producers I know for making tunes that are pretty much all bangers but still sound fresh and not all the same, if you see what I mean.

I saw him dj in Prague last year and really liked his selection, even dropped Sexy Sexy :)

benjybars

village elder.
It got posted a while back its good to watch it again.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Found this the other day, nothing particularly going on. I just like watching videos of Live FM.

surprised to see a pair of 1210s in the studio.. :)