mos dan

fact music
are urban nerds making music?! as well as spamming every pub toilet in shoreditch with their stickers?

re ill blu: jesus, 'time to get nasty' is grimey as fuck, isn't it? exactly the kind of thing i was expecting more of when lil silva's seasons first dropped

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
re ill blu: jesus, 'time to get nasty' is grimey as fuck, isn't it? exactly the kind of thing i was expecting more of when lil silva's seasons first dropped

i only just realised which one this is! love it- it's a massive tune:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is the kind of funky I'm looking for too - anyone other than Ill Blu doing this?

Edit: Where's the best place to buy all these big Ill Blu tunes (Nasty, Say Yes etc) unmixed in 320-quality mp3s? Do they all feature on one or other of the big compilations. Haven't found a comprehensive one yet...

Last edited:

Tim F

You can buy "Time To Get Nasty" and their Shystie remix of off http://www.ukfunky.com/

You can buy "Blu Magic" and many of their remixes off www.junodownload.com - the key one to get being their remix of 321's "Bring It Back".

Their remix of Suncycle ft Mavado is also available for free on 7digital.com at the moment - this is basically a fleshed out, pop/dancehall version of "Dragon Pop".

I think Ill Blu feel "obviously" grime in that they can sound so much like Danny Weed (esp. on "Time To Get Nasty").

But other stuff that is pretty grimey:

- Scotty D/Funk Factory - search "Liberty", "The Sound", "Dream"
- Undisputed - "Sunglasses"
- Champion - "Motherboard"
- Bassboy - see all the tracks with Marcus Nasty on the Nasty/Majestic set posted upthread

Also there's stuff like Jammer's funky track which I don't think I ever learnt the name of, or that recent, monstrous new version of D-Malice's "Gabryelle (Refix)".

Finally I may be in the minority in thinking there was a whole bunch of amazing (uptempo grimey) skank tunes this year, in particular:

K.I.G. ft. Wiley - We Rollin'
Fr3e - I Got My Beads On
Dotstar - Stick Up
DJ Hotsteppa - Take It Higher
Black Biscuit - Skanking The Hardest

Tim F

If you can find it, the Rinse FM set that Fantastic 4 (Ill Blu / D-Malice / Scratcha DVA / Roska) recorded circa May contained almost everything Ill Blu had done up to that point.

Benny Bunter

Also there's stuff like Jammer's funky track which I don't think I ever learnt the name of

There were two funky tracks on Jammer's Are you dumb? vol 4 mixtape.' Marengay' and 'Control yourself'. Is it one of those maybe? Both tracks are very short versions on the mixtape. I've a feeling you're meaning a different track though.

Anyone here liking Julio Bashmore's stuff? Um bongo's revenge is out now...

G.H.

Anyone here liking Julio Bashmore's stuff? Um bongo's revenge is out now...

Aye... been listening to his CC mix all week. Just picked up a few of the tunes from it.

Can't wait for Untold & Roska's effort... tis quality.

EDIT: Just realised I had gotten mixed up... was actually Bashmore's Restless remix I was thinking of.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Aye... been listening to his CC mix all week. Just picked up a few of the tunes from it.

Can't wait for Untold & Roska's effort... tis quality.

EDIT: Just realised I had gotten mixed up... was actually Bashmore's Restless remix I was thinking of.

oi oi gareth! You got a link to that restless mix you speak of?

jackmaster

time, space, transmat
more uk funky like this please
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is amazing.

I would really prefer instrumentals of those HHB tracks.

benjybars

village elder.
unknown soulja - you need to change your sig... i keep seeing it and thinking yeah that looks tasty and then realise it was last september!

alex

Do not read this.
I love the fact that most of the tune’s I keep hearing from people, I have to debate on whether to put in here or the funky section haha!

I have been playing a lot of dark tech & deep tech house lately and not really following the cross genre sound’s, however Jam City & Girl Unit are doing it the right way.