baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I do think the Last Supper shows have carved out a distinct artistic space though away from grime. There's less of the Hip hop-style, dog eat dog jostling and more of a sense of working as a team to...well they're trying to create a vibe and make everyone happy. I find this inclusivity really touching and almost like a return to the pre-jungle days of people putting differences aside and celebrating together (with less drugs and more drinking obviously). You find this in Funky generally but especially with last supper's shows, a real sense of brotherhood.

They don't have to compete for distinct artistic space with grime. As far as I know Live FM doesn't play any grime and most of the big players on the funky scene seem confident that grime has had its day and that they're doing something new and different now. As Andy and Tim and David M have said, the grime influences are obviously there but there's a lot more to it than that.

Still not getting this MC-ing over funky thing. Maybe it's because it does seem so retro, as said here, in a pre-jungle way. The vibe is really good in itself, but it seems like a throwback rather than something new. There was a set with Scratchy etc over funky a while back and that was great - any other sets around with grime MCs over funky?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks! Sorry, didn't read back enough pages, I don't think.

Did anyone go to that rave in Peckham with D Double and Marcus Nasty - I presume DDE was MCing over funky at some point during the night?

Ory

warp drive
Great set with Marcus, Slackk. The transition from the terra danjah tune to "Find The Path" near the end put a massive foolish grin on my face halfway through reps at the gym. This other dude in front of me assumed I was checking him out, I think.

amazing set. really enjoyed the bubbling trax & other weirdness.

alex

Do not read this.
apologies for my poor searching skills in advance, but does anyone know if Dj Naughty's mix of 'Domino Effect' came out?

Benny Bunter

apologies for my poor searching skills in advance, but does anyone know if Dj Naughty's mix of 'Domino Effect' came out?

Yeah, on a white label along with the OB/Fingaprint mix and the Crazy Cousinz mix. One of my fave Naughty tracks actually...

Benny Bunter

thanks guys, and yes, tune is magical

Its that combination of that sweet but dramatic vocal and rastaman bassline innit?
DJ naughty just might be my fave funky producer overall actually. I love that remix Sean Kingston's 'Fire burning' thats the first track on the Johnny Pistol/DEE set I posted above too. And his remix of 'speechless' and about million others, he's so prolific.

alex

Do not read this.
yea, luka posted a smoove kriminal mix which had the said tune included, fell in love with it straight away. Agree about him being a top producer, and yes, probably my favourite too.

For some reason his productions come across so clean/experienced in comparison with alot of funky i hear (maybe I have selective hearing/am not listening to the right sets) without losing the shuffle/groove i need.

bobbin

What
Great set with Marcus, Slackk. The transition from the terra danjah tune to "Find The Path" near the end put a massive foolish grin on my face halfway through reps at the gym. This other dude in front of me assumed I was checking him out, I think.

ok, i can't resist coming out of the woodwork to take credit for the mix haha :)

i'm chuffed that a couple of people listened and are feeling the set. (which was four of us back to back doing 2 tunes each.)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Been a bit busy this week so just catching up on the new stuff in the thread at the mo, thanks for everyone coming with the links and suggestions. Just to say also that I'll be doing a radio slot on PirateRevial again this Sunday from 8 - 10, focussing on the sort of stuff we talk about in this thread. Lock in if you're free, will have a mic set up this time so you might get to hear a bit of my weird, nondescript accent. :)

Benny Bunter

You can buy Mad One's 'Magaluf EP' off itunes now.

Devine recordings are putting out this Smoke-Off-Ski EP on Dec 10 too...
Can't believe no one in the press have picked up on the House Girls album yet, I haven't seen a single mention of it anywhere and its been out for two weeks.

denoir

^^ not surprising considering the usual uk funky attitude towards marketing :slanted:

how can someone sell digital music online and not make it available outside out of their own country...in 2010???

Last edited:

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
how can someone sell digital music online and not make it available outside out of their own country...in 2010???

I can't say I've ever experienced it myself as I don't use it, but I know several people have run into zoning restrictions on beatport before.