what you currently enjoying ?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Ive just followed the link to see

"While I love this stuff, I do sort of wonder why a lot of recent Brit reggae music histories seem to be ignoring Steel Pulse/Misty In Roots/Aswad/etc (not to mention On-U-Sound/Dennis Bovell/Lovers/LKJ) and pretending that Fast Chat/Fashion were the first first true flowering of Brit reggae (rather just another in a long line.) "

lloyd bradley writes a lot about all the above earlier stuff in bass culture. and he hates digital reggae. a lot.

Benny Bunter

lloyd bradley writes a lot about all the above earlier stuff in bass culture. and he hates digital reggae. a lot.

I read this a few years ago when I was just getting into reggae properly and I thought it was great, but it did put me off exploring the digital stuff at the time. I know better now fortunately :rolleyes:

For a novice who's just developing an interest in Jamaican music its a really misleading book, which is a shame because his writing on everything up until the dancehall era is great. What a cop out...

mms

sometimes
a really fucked song i had a on tape called 'waspy' by the bolshoi, i looked up the lyrics which i coud still remember on google and got it off soulseek. last time i listened to it i was about 12 and it's still very odd.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I read this a few years ago when I was just getting into reggae properly and I thought it was great, but it did put me off exploring the digital stuff at the time. I know better now fortunately :rolleyes:

For a novice who's just developing an interest in Jamaican music its a really misleading book, which is a shame because his writing on everything up until the dancehall era is great. What a cop out...

I know! All through that book I was going, awesome, the section on dancehall is going to be so awesome. And then there's just a two page indictment or something. Ridiculous.

Immryr

anything made in jamaica before sleng teng is obviously rubbish and should be thrown out of the history books!

john eden

male pale and stale
Any other good books to look for with a more balanced slant on things?

The Rough Guide To Reggae is excellent.

Wake The Town And Tell The People is a bit academic but worth a pop.

Beth Lesser's book on King Jammy is excellent (and she has a new one coming out with Soul Jazz soon).

viktorvaughn

The Rough Guide To Reggae is excellent.

Wake The Town And Tell The People is a bit academic but worth a pop.

Beth Lesser's book on King Jammy is excellent (and she has a new one coming out with Soul Jazz soon).

OK thanks...may treat myself on Amazon to a couple of these, feeling all this stuff to the max at the moment. I listen to that 'Tempo' track on Youtube everyday at work if in need of cheering up.:cool:

BareBones

wheezy
not sure how "cool and hip" it is, but i'm listening to john betjeman 'banana blush' for the first time and it's making me smile for sure. probably partly because i listened to brian wilson's new album just before, and that made me depressed.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Agree about 'Bass Culture' completely. Thought it was fantastic until the dancehall chapter, although I can see how his feelings about the reggae that had gone before it led him to think that way about bashment, I suppose.

I'm enjoying Spyro/Maximum on Rinse annnnd JUNGLE

john eden

male pale and stale
do you mean this?

has anyone had a chance to see it? i'd really appreciate any opinions about it

Yeah that's the new one. I don't think anyone has seen it bar a few reviewers.

I am really looking forward to it myself, I think Beth is great. Some of her photos accompanied Stelfox's digital dancehall primer in the Wire.