what you currently enjoying ?

zhao

there are no accidents
the Piano Works series on Act label. nothing hoity toity or high fallutin, just simple refined jazz piano. so enjoyable. i can listen to 3 of those CDs in a roll and not get tired. after 3 though it's time for something else... also a great collection to have for dinner parties obviously.

also Bhajan Sopori's Santoor Recital vol. 1, 2, and 3... endless delight.

zhao

there are no accidents
what cd are these? by who? i googled "act records" but couldn't find anything. i love me some piano music, let us know. thx.

product_info.php

ACT_9750-2.jpg

ACT_9751-2.jpg

ACT_9752-2.jpg

ACT_9753-2.jpg

ACT_9756-2.jpg

Cover_ACT_9754_2.JPG

Cover_ACT_9755_2.JPG

Cover_ACT_9754_2.JPG

ACT_9757-2.jpg

ACT_9757-2.jpg

a lot more from this label, the others i can't vouch for though:
http://www.actmusic.com/catalog.php?cPath=1&z_cat=1&action=search&pagenum=1

also of course the Cuban master Bebo Valdez... god i love that man.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Skylab#1 - an album from 94 that Howie B put together with various other studio guys - never really found out much about it but it's a fucking brilliant cd.

http://www.discogs.com/Skylab-Skylab-1/release/236468

Yeah one of my faves. It's one of the few trip-hop releases to really live up to the "trip" side - all those strange collages of looped sound fx and stuff, lengthy beatless passages rather than just sludgy stoner grooves, etc.

The core member is a guy called Matt Ducasse, and on that release it's Tosh + KUDO, Howie B and Ducasse. Tosh + KUDO are best known outside Japan as (two thirds of?) Major Force - some comps were put out via Mo'Wax and so on. The EP that directly followed it has some good tracks and then basically from there on out the wheels fell off. IMO. Pretty sure the line-up changed a lot too.

I always thought Howie B was pretty shit, but due to this release still kept on checking out what he was doing for another 10 years or so, hoping to find some other pay off. Ah well. :p

jenks

thread death
Thanks for that - I remember seeing Howie B at a music symposium thing at the Barbican and he seemed like a nice guy and bought the Music for Babies CD, only to be a bit disappointed. Then he started doing bits with U2 via a link he made with Eno I think. As much as I like Eno that was a bad move...

now enjoying an Orb live album from 93

luka

Nile Rodgers (b. 1952) started out as a session guitarist for the Sesame Street band,
all in your hands