what you currently enjoying ?

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Viva+Last+Blues.png

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sorry to keep posting old Renegade Soundwave bits like the noob that I am, but this. fuckin. tune:
(Embedding disabled for it).

Listeend to the 1987-95 comp I have of RS the other week for the first time in about a decade, and I didn't think it'd aged that well...was quite disappointed, cos I have great memories of it. Hmm. Blast em Out stood up, though.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Could be talking bollocks here (obv wasn't around in those days) but I think AWOL was supposed to be a little bit more friendly than Roast. Certainly sounds like good vibes on the tapes.

I'll have to dig out The Wire article he did on that scene, which featured a picture of DJ Hype and some other chav trying to keep their pitbull on a leash. IIRC it referred to a move from ecstasy to crack cocaine in clubs like AWOL. Good vibes it didnae talk much of, and I have to question the idea that a bespectacled Oxford graduate like Reynolds ever walked through the doors of such a place and walked out again to tell the tale.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Listeend to the 1987-95 comp I have of RS the other week for the first time in about a decade, and I didn't think it'd aged that well...was quite disappointed, cos I have great memories of it. Hmm. Blast em Out stood up, though.

I'm only really acquainted with their late 80s stuff, but at the moment I'm loving it.
blacktulip it's pointless me going on much more about AWOL because obv I was never around in those days - all my impressions of it are from the tapes I have (mostly from around 93-94) plus the fan comments on the sites which post the tapes, some from folks who went there. The overall impressions seems to be that it was kind of like the FWD of it's time, somewhere where lots of producers and DJs went to hang out and hear new tunes - but with a fair amount of ravers as well. You def see references to 'family' vibes and so forth from old ravers.
On the crack smoking thing in jungle, the consensus seems to be that it did happen but was also kind of exaggerated. Certainly it's no secret that the mood of the jungle scene got grimmer and grimmer as time went on, but I reckon a fair amount of this was a self-conscious pose from the fans, much like with grime nowadays (not to mention punk and other things for years and years). Screwface culture and that.
The only reason I'm rambling on about this is that some people here seem to have this weird thing where they're desperate to prove that SR has never had any idea what he's talking about. Like he's some father-figure that needs to be killed or something. Maybe this isn't your own view, but it's a weird, dodgy thing in general that sets me off.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
The only reason I'm rambling on about this is that some people here seem to have this weird thing where they're desperate to prove that SR has never had any idea what he's talking about. Like he's some father-figure that needs to be killed or something. Maybe this isn't your own view, but it's a weird, dodgy thing in general that sets me off.

Yeah, hear that, but I don't have any particular axe to grind. Don't have any stake in SR one way or the other. Haven't read any of his books and am never likely to. Just seems beyond belief that he ever had first-hand experience of such places. Not trying to appear all hard either: I lived in London for three years and only went to such a locale as Brixton twice, pretty much shitting myself for the duration of each trip.

Last edited:

luka

reynolds certainly did have first hand experience of those places. dont know awol or roast in particular but certainly labyrinth which was notorious. some of the people i knew that used to go there later on were the sort of people that on a slow saturday night would literally wait outside stratford rex to find people to get into fights with. as a rule the trouble that goes on in or outside places like that is between people who are known to one another in som way eg plaistow vs barking, or ct vs stratford mobs..... i am not any type of tough guy but have been in enough notorious places in the early hours of the morning to know you dont get stabbed or robbed simply for looking a little out of place. like with the hooilgan firms of days gone by most of the violence is between consenting adults.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
reynolds certainly did have first hand experience of those places. dont know awol or roast in particular but certainly labyrinth which was notorious. some of the people i knew that used to go there later on were the sort of people that on a slow saturday night would literally wait outside stratford rex to find people to get into fights with. as a rule the trouble that goes on in or outside places like that is between people who are known to one another in som way eg plaistow vs barking, or ct vs stratford mobs..... i am not any type of tough guy but have been in enough notorious places in the early hours of the morning to know you dont get stabbed or robbed simply for looking a little out of place. like with the hooilgan firms of days gone by most of the violence is between consenting adults.

Mostly. I got steamed at one of the early Brixton Academy hiphop gigs - I think it was the Marley Marl showcase, which wasn't very nice until the huge yardie guys I was with came and saved me. But I was a fucking target in those days anyway, and stood out like a sore thumb.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
as a rule the trouble that goes on in or outside places like that is between people who are known to one another in som way eg plaistow vs barking, or ct vs stratford mobs.....

HA that is one rule I won't be putting to the test at any point ever. Thanks for the sentimental histories though, males.