what you currently enjoying ?

zhao

there are no accidents
some wikkid discs brought back from morokko... so raw, so real.

among the more well know is some berber reggae... anyone know this stuff? sounds like the missing link between Ireland, Russia, China, Mid East, Africa, and Jamaica. i'm SO not kidding or exaggerating.

zhao

there are no accidents
^ nope, never, but sounds sweet!

will be sharing on me bwoggie but gon take some time to sort through and scan covers, etc... i don't think the majority of the pile is available outside of the region.

the radio station in marrakesh was really good, even during ramadan 24 hour party music -- would go from traditional arabic dance to dancehall to trance to everything - and they played this berber reggae right after i bought it. apparently a new phenomenon, friend tells me the "scene" is like 3 years old and there are all but 2 bands that make it...

how do you make this sign: ^ ?

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
some wikkid discs brought back from morokko... so raw, so real.

among the more well know is some berber reggae... anyone know this stuff? sounds like the missing link between Ireland, Russia, China, Mid East, Africa, and Jamaica. i'm SO not kidding or exaggerating.

Any particular bits to recommend? I'm heading to marrakech in a couple of months and been told to check out berber music in general..

BareBones

wheezy
^ = shift & 6

my friend went to marrakesh last year and came back with tons of little loops and jingles he'd recorded from radio stations there, just weird incidental radio music but some of it was so deep.

zhao

there are no accidents
Any particular bits to recommend? I'm heading to marrakech in a couple of months and been told to check out berber music in general..

have yet to properly listen to most of the material i brought back, which were chosen by describing what i wanted via translator to record shop clerks, using key words like "traditional", "stately", "serious", "like dark clouds", "flutes", "strong beat".

the primary berber instrument is the plucked big monster guitar thing, and i heard much that were just too difficult for my ears -- like cacophanous drumming with this instrument just twiddling away, maybe amplified, with chanting on top. but also i think i got some softer and quieter solo with voice recordings. like i said, will have to go through in detail.

my recommendation would be to burn a CDR of the type of sounds you are looking for, and play it for the shop keepers, who are very patient - i stood in some of those places for hours on end, just going "play this one... no. that one... no. this one... ok i take it. play this one again... "

^ = shift & 6

my friend went to marrakesh last year and came back with tons of little loops and jingles he'd recorded from radio stations there, just weird incidental radio music but some of it was so deep.

this is a great idea. wish i had a minidisc recorder. wild sounds especially at strange hours, when we were driving into the sahara all night the radio came in loud and clear -- all kinds of crazy recordings of mysterious origins and calls to prayer from who knows where or when... and then an amy winehouse remix would come on.

zhao

there are no accidents

also, far as i know there is no Amoeba or big well organized and well stocked shop there, and it's all just tiny hole in the wall places that you run into or if lucky have someone who knows point out to you... actually some of the bigger more organized ones were more commercial and had less of what i was looking for.

my new friend there however promised to point me to moroccan download sites where i should be able to easier find what i'm looking for. but he still haven't answered the myspace message...

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
also, far as i know there is no Amoeba or big well organized and well stocked shop there, and it's all just tiny hole in the wall places that you run into or if lucky have someone who knows point out to you... actually some of the bigger more organized ones were more commercial and had less of what i was looking for.

my new friend there however promised to point me to moroccan download sites where i should be able to easier find what i'm looking for. but he still haven't answered the myspace message...

Nice one Zhao - very much appreciated knowledge.
Was over there for the first time last year and managed to check out a couple of the hole in the wall places (including a great one in between Djema El Fna and the Saadian Tombs/El Badi part of town) but didn't have time to dig around properly.
Saw some of the string widdling/percussion cacophany/chanting really late at night on Djema and thought it was amazing but very curious about the solo stuff you picked up too..

Betamaxnomates

Wild Horses
Chiptunes and all things 8-bit. I know I'm very much late to the party on this but it's really doing the business for me right now.

DJ PIMP

Every day is Lifelike day at Chateau Bleep. Love the gently inflated sense of elated melancholy.

The Presets mix is great, poignant, but my current fave is still the Dancing with Strangers remix, where he switches that standard emo-aerobics vibe up to some gurgling darkside rushy anthem business... about the coldest thing he's done? The way that track drops is total murder.

Dancing with strangers in dark rooms, smiling and sweating how beautiful.

Lifelike is almost a post Daft Punk mini-genre unto itself now (French Touch?), what with the Valerie collective etc. There doesn't seem to be an end to his formula either... I'd expect him to be wearing out by now but he keeps churning out all this fantastic material.

Though I wouldn't call it prog... :eek:

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Though I wouldn't call it prog... :eek:

Haha, I dunno how else to refer to the way it has no funk. I get muddled in my head as to whether those one-note-a-bar basslines sound 80s or 90s. :) Maybe both.

Such bright, crisp sounds. And, yeah, all that drama.

DJ PIMP

I think it has tons of funk just not in the black funk sense, more like italo/white disco/awkward EBM/cock rock funk. That stiff 80s 4/4 smacking over the chuggy 8th note basslines... The Lifelike mix of Heartbreak's Don't Stop is magic for that. Static but propulsive.

I've enjoyed the whiter / colder tangent a lot over the past few years.

Kitten & Hackers track Hometown was a masterpiece in that regard; the interlocking synth lines and bassline and general rhythm sense are so white and soooooo good.

Or Electroclash Hell... depending on your outlook.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Yeah, guess it's that whiteness thing that I was trying to avoid writing by talking about a lack of funk.

It totally inspires dancing urges (and I imagine it would be a massive good time on or about 21st November of any given year) but its dance appeal is not like funk music.

I think of a lot of this kind of thing as sounding like early 90s trance stuff... or is it stadium house a la the KLF? Anyway... whatever... I'm liking it.

Also obsessing on Woolfy and Lexx still. Awesome, awesome tracks.

Quiet Village remix of Mudd's Spielplatz is also great - generally excited about the idea of slow-motion disco. And attributive hyphens.

DJ PIMP

^ Yeah, guess it's that whiteness thing that I was trying to avoid writing by talking about a lack of funk.

No sense in calling a spade a shovel.

Stadium house/early trance... its influence has been felt for the past couple of years, fizzling out with cash-ins like the reworks of Utah Saint's Something Good, Golden Girl's Kinetic or the boots of the Jam n Spoon Age of Love remix. All of which were a bit deflating... Orbital didn't bugger up Kinetic too much but it didn't really hit the spot either.

The Modular label artists are basically stadium house from a less tracky, more bandy angle...

I love my slow disco but merciful Vishnu there is some mental club shit out there that is so insanely geared up I've had to switch to decaf.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Got this weird record the other day which is right up my street.

http://easylistening.blogspot.com/2006/09/jimmie-haskell-count-down-1957.html

Kind of rock n roll type stuff from the late fifties I think with primitive synth sounds and bleeps and stuff. I already had the seven inch from the album and I like both sides of that - just good fun rockabilly with added bleeps - but they are not the only good tracks on the album. One tune (Asteroid Hop) has this electronic bassline that sounds like electro-house or something (almost) and there is another track called We Get Messages with helium alien voices and crazy noises, my favourite however is called Hydrazine (apparently a fuel injection that is used when you get near to landing according to the story on the back) and is a spooky instrumental with unusual sounds and a ghostly whistling over the whole track.
I've got the stereo mix which is reputed to be worse than the mono but sounds nice to me. I've listened to sound files before which I believe were from the mono version and there are slight differences but I think I'd almost come down on the side of saying that the stereo is better.
Jimmie Haskell is quite an interesting character actually. As well as this record and all the film work he did a strange concept album called California 99 or something which is quite readily available. The sleeve folds out to a massive map of the US which, according to the story, has been renamed California after some apocalyptic event. The album tells the tale of some characater trying to find love in an Orwellian controlled society but, strangely for a concept album I would say, it features a number of covers including the Millenium's Prelude which is an unusual but good choice. I guess that track is pretty well known these days but seems an off the wall choice back in the late seventies or whenever this was made.