Benny Bunter

Perry = Rza, but Tubby = Dre. Yeah, Perry may have 'originated' the dub. But he was never as nice as people made him out to be. He just happened to help make some great singles, and be crazy. Tubby took songs that were good, and made them into ART. "Skylarking Dub" alone!

Very odd comparisons you make there. And since when has being nice got to do with anything?

luka

yeah i like rza and dre. they're both really good. so in that sense, its quite apt.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
26054310fca05a07e766a010._AA240_.L.jpg

raekwon_only.jpg

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Now, obviously, he is a sacred cow for critics.

yes, that's what this thread is about. artists that have a kind of immunity from criticism in the media. "recorded by steve albini" carries more than a whiff of soaked-in-the-rock-of-ages authenticity, doesn't it? i'm suspicious of this aura. as mms said up thread, he's done as many shit jobs as good jobs. and it seems to me that if the music is good it's because he brought it out of them by shouting at them, pointing his second world war mics at them...getting stuff out of them they didn't even know they had. but if the music is bad, well he's beyond reproach cos he was just the engineer, pointing mics at them... quite a tidy ruse!

john eden

male pale and stale
Lee Perry has become a sacred cow because of his kerazy antics (which are great to write about) rather than his music.

But musically he is still up there for me - lot of his stuff doesn't sound like anything coming out of JA when it was made.

Things like "return of Django" and those early instrumentals are classics which should be up there with the best of 60s american soul.

But yes he also made some cack.

crackerjack

Lee Perry IS a sacred cow. Sorry, I don't see all the value. King Tubby registered immediately. Perry sounded like what it is, dude high on weed fucking around with a mixing board.

Perry = Rza, but Tubby = Dre. Yeah, Perry may have 'originated' the dub. But he was never as nice as people made him out to be. He just happened to help make some great singles, and be crazy. Tubby took songs that were good, and made them into ART. "Skylarking Dub" alone!

Perry's role in the creation of dub was secondary to Tubby and may have been overstated. His role as a consistently great producer can't be. Albums by The Congos, Max Romeo, Junior Murvin, Jah Lloyd, George Faith - 3 of those albums are among the best of the decade and none of those guys were ever as good again without him. And he made the best music of Wailers' career and a ton of great solo stuff. He has done a ton of cack (mostly in the 80s, and there are some very weird people who think he was at his peak then), but doing some cack is the law in reggae. It doesn't undermine his briliant stuff.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

I think Illmatic is a bit of a sacred cow and though it is good it's not as good as some people make out and i would much rather be on a desert island with 36 chambers than Illmatic really.

CrowleyHead

I think Illmatic is a bit of a sacred cow and though it is good it's not as good as some people make out and i would much rather be on a desert island with 36 chambers than Illmatic really.

Illmatic was actually the start of the East Coast/West Coast beef. True story.

zhao

there are no accidents
Perry's role in the creation of dub was secondary to Tubby and may have been overstated. His role as a consistently great producer can't be.

did you know that cow sound in that song is actually a buddy of his going "moooooooooo"? i heard story recently that he tried to record a cow but the animal wasn't having it that day, so he just got his friend to do it.

other favorite scratch stories involve things like burying dubs 3 feet underground and having a pregnant goat piss on it during sabbath... and after it's dug up it sounds that much better :) a friend was saying something about the magnetism or soil composition or something might actually make sense. couldn't explain the goat piss though.

isn't it time for another 4CD reissues to come out? i've worn all my old scratch songs out

pajbre

did you know that cow sound in that song is actually a buddy of his going "moooooooooo"? i heard story recently that he tried to record a cow but the animal wasn't having it that day, so he just got his friend to do it.

other favorite scratch stories involve things like burying dubs 3 feet underground and having a pregnant goat piss on it during sabbath... and after it's dug up it sounds that much better :) a friend was saying something about the magnetism or soil composition or something might actually make sense. couldn't explain the goat piss though.

isn't it time for another 4CD reissues to come out? i've worn all my old scratch songs out

don't forget his instructions to 'blow ganja smoke on the master tapes to add that irie finishing touch'

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
think scratch has become LESS of a sacred cow since he started doing the live circuit in the UK etc recently, cos it has been pretty clear to see that he's totall y lost it musically as well as mentally. But, utter legend all the same, even if he did nick Bird in Hand wholesale (that was a gutting revelation somehow :( )

in other farm animal music stories, I just discovered that that sound from Cypress Hill's Insane in the Brain is really a sampled, sped-up horse neigh (from another record, but still).

crackerjack

think scratch has become LESS of a sacred cow since he started doing the live circuit in the UK etc recently, cos it has been pretty clear to see that he's totall y lost it musically as well as mentally. But, utter legend all the same, even if he did nick Bird in Hand wholesale (that was a gutting revelation somehow :( )

Was it some old Hindu thing? I remember playing that record in a shop I used to work in and an Indian guy asking about it, saying it was based on a traditional theme (my memory's kinda hazy, as you csan probably tell).

zhao

there are no accidents
in other farm animal music stories, I just discovered that that sound from Cypress Hill's Insane in the Brain is really a sampled, sped-up horse neigh (from another record, but still).

mind blown.

not my favorite sound in the universe, but it's up there.

have heard similar sounds in other west coast hiphop... not sure who used that high pitched whine first?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Was it some old Hindu thing? I remember playing that record in a shop I used to work in and an Indian guy asking about it, saying it was based on a traditional theme (my memory's kinda hazy, as you csan probably tell).

Yeah, it was. It was probably a thread on here last year, iirc.

'Bird in Hand' blew my head off when I first heard it - thought it was definitive evidence of Perry's diversity. Hmmm....

CrowleyHead

lol. A great tune, but nothing of shock. After all, the 5th Ultramagnetic member is only going to achieve so much. And there were plenty East Coast dudes making albums against West Coast & 'Gangsta Rap' (Black Sheep & Masta Ace come to mind...)

But according to the original editor of XXL, when he reviewed Illmatic for The Source, he said he had to give the album a 5. Alright, no problem. Except he gave The Chronic a 4.5. So naturally, the West Coast took great offence that even though they made a classic album, that effectively changed the scope of the music... it wasn't Illmatic. As a result, there was a growing vibe of "Hey man, why ain't they giving us any love!?"

It didn't help that Tupac was running around NYC causing drama with nearly everyone... Embarassing Tribe... Screaming about Biggie & Puffy... Crying to anyone who'd listen how he was a MUCH better Lyricist than Nas...

mms

sometimes

tim dog is great, he did two pretty great albums, and ' i get wrecked' with krs is fucking good.

i remember this was track of the year as voted by the readers of hip hop connection when it came out, it was quite a big deal.

mms

sometimes
lol. A great tune, but nothing of shock. After all, the 5th Ultramagnetic member is only going to achieve so much. And there were plenty East Coast dudes making albums against West Coast & 'Gangsta Rap' (Black Sheep & Masta Ace come to mind...)

But according to the original editor of XXL, when he reviewed Illmatic for The Source, he said he had to give the album a 5. Alright, no problem. Except he gave The Chronic a 4.5. So naturally, the West Coast took great offence that even though they made a classic album, that effectively changed the scope of the music... it wasn't Illmatic. As a result, there was a growing vibe of "Hey man, why ain't they giving us any love!?"

It didn't help that Tupac was running around NYC causing drama with nearly everyone... Embarassing Tribe... Screaming about Biggie & Puffy... Crying to anyone who'd listen how he was a MUCH better Lyricist than Nas...

xxl editors decison was right - illmatic is better than the chronic.