CrowleyHead

i dont find any of illmatic remotely dull. which tracks ae you referring to? i thnk they're all amazing.

"One Time For Your Mind" always struck me as pretty 'meh'. As well as "Memory Lane". "Life's A Bitch" is trash as far as the beat. (You gotta commend Nas for his loyalty... LES is NEVER going to be good at beats. But Nas still rhymes to them.) Mind you, that's only three 'okay' tracks on an album laced with some great songs.

nomos

Administrator
"One Time For Your Mind" always struck me as pretty 'meh'.
and One Love always felt like a dip. I like the other two.

For "classic" status I just want more on the level of Halftime, It Ain't Hard to Tell, The World is Yours. Not saying it's not a great album, because it is. But it's been a sacred cow since before it was recorded.

mms

sometimes
life is a bitch is incredible. az and nas combinating. oh god.

az was great

this was particulary great too, both of them sound exhausted

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The beat on Life's a Bitch is beautifully complimentary to the voices....one of my favourite tracks ever. Edit: And with the Olu Dara solo at the end, it's perfect.

And Memory Lane is one of Preemo's best ever!

Flipping this, I think Nas's second album is unfairly maligned by many.

Last edited:

luka

yeah i think so to. although lupe fiasco is leading the reapprasial. its his favourite album. i think its pretty good. much less focussed obviously, meanders aimlessly a fair bit but the best moments i still revisit all the time. its a lot less 'real'
and a lot glossier, but yeah, a good album, and i think the lifes a bitch beat is good too.
LES has a populist instinct but thats no reason to hate him

luka

mms you just posted the song that obsessed me as much as any other in that era. constant repeat for weeks on end, writing down the lyrics and everything, couldn't understand half of what nas was saying though....

craner

Beast of Burden
I thought the Stephen fry thing was just me. I'm so relieved! I loathe him. He's not funny, and he's not that intelligent. He's a self-obsessed wanker with a good memory. Bipolar, yeah bollocks. Woo-hoo! mI'm so pleased to get that off my chest. Joanna Lumley is starting to do my head in, too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Memory Lane is 'meh'?

How the fuck is Joanna Lumley a 'sacred cow'? In who's universe?

I'm retreating back into my burrow.

luka

ricky gervais was clever enough in the office to realise he'd be great at playing an unfunny twat, becasue he is an unfunny twat. not clever enough to realise that being an unfunny twat is a big handicap for a stand-up.

craner

Beast of Burden
How the fuck is Joanna Lumley a 'sacred cow'? In who's universe?

It;s only really started happening since the ghurka thing to be fair, but it's slowly getting out of hand. I mean, I liked Purdey as much as the next Gambit.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
ricky gervais was clever enough in the office to realise he'd be great at playing an unfunny twat, becasue he is an unfunny twat. not clever enough to realise that being an unfunny twat is a big handicap for a stand-up.

thing about the office is that he basically ripped a huge portion of it from the larry sanders show. david brent bears a pretty strong resemblance to the hank kingsley character. if you check out the 'ricky meets...' episode where he interviews gary shandling (the guy who plays sanders),you can really pick up on the tension. its up on youtube. the office was a funny show but nowhere near as original as people seem to have been led to believe.

seeing him now in hollywood mode and fully buying into his role as the leader of nu-british comedy is pretty entertaining, though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saw the Office the other night and it's still funny, I've just seen it all so many times/heard it quoted so much it's lost any freshness. All the sycophantic hyperbole surrounding it too urghhh

Everything post-Office has been rubbish. God, I hated 'Extras'.

Iannucci is surely the comic don in this country.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal

Nail, head, etc.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I understand he is famous and all, and therefore internationally successful, and Dissensus wouldn't be Dissensus if not for saying that things everybody likes aren't actually as good as all those people think they are, but the Office was fucking brilliant.

I will agree though that Ricky Gervais isn't actually a very funny at all when he's not writing for television and that he dropped the ball a bit with Extras which took the great parts of the Office and made them meander.

The American Office is a study in why British people are funnier.