Olympics

crackerjack

He's right though, what kind of sport uses a scoring system so debased that each individual score is virtually meaningless? Basketball is actually a govt plot to keep very tall black men in confined spaces and deny them the kind of useful life skills, such as running really fast or punching people very hard, that you pick up in real sports.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"He's right though, what kind of sport uses a scoring system so debased that each individual score is virtually meaningless?"
Exactly. Also, I hate the way the crowd gets all excited if someone dunks it when they're through on their own and all they have to do is just put it in the basket. That's the equivalent of someone back-heeling it over the line when they have rounded the goalie in football yet in basketball the fans go mad for it the dummies.
Plus you have to be really tall to play it which is a bit rubbish as well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, what the fuck? I just caught the end of Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page performing Whole Lotta Love. On top of a bus, next to David Beckham. Ace.

mixed_biscuits

CHAOTROPIC

on account
On the showing at this games, boxing should probably be out under the "arbitrarily decided by judges" rule.

Also, having seen a bit of it, olympic taekwondo is one of the silliest combat sports ever. It seems to have about as much relation to actually fighting as thumb wars, although admittedly it looks more spectacular.

Yeah, I'm not sure how hopping about like a frog with your hands at your waist relates to fighting either. It's like someone said about the swimming events, with all the different strokes: you don't see the 100m hop, 100m skip, 100m wriggle-on-the-belly. Boxing with the hands, wrestling for takedowns & control, judo for submissions, taekwondo for kicks ... just put it all together & bring back pancratian. I'd love to see Fedor Emelianenko in the Olympics.

So there was a fuss over using a Myra Hindley portrait in a London 2012 presentation, but no-one had second thoughts about the top deck of a London bus peeling open as the centrepiece of the show?! Or was it intentional, a public lancing of latent terror memories? It was just a little bit pony, whatever the case.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It should have been a burning bendy-bus - they can immolate themselves without any explosive assistance at all. In your FACE, terrorists!

trouc

trouc
Exactly. Also, I hate the way the crowd gets all excited if someone dunks it when they're through on their own and all they have to do is just put it in the basket. That's the equivalent of someone back-heeling it over the line when they have rounded the goalie in football yet in basketball the fans go mad for it the dummies.
Plus you have to be really tall to play it which is a bit rubbish as well.

The dunk's the ultimate expression of individual style and flair in a sport that's perfect for it. Over here it's about the blackest thing possible. You've got some company with old curmudgeons in hating it, but most of em died off in the 70s...

Icelandic handball was pretty <a href="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/08/icelandic_handball_magic_elves.html#more">nuts</a> and I really enjoyed the marathon. All in all a pretty good games.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The dunk's the ultimate expression of individual style and flair in a sport that's perfect for it. Over here it's about the blackest thing possible. You've got some company with old curmudgeons in hating it, but most of em died off in the 70s..."
I don't hate the dunk as such, I just don't understand why people get so excited about the way someone chooses to finish off a certain score - especially when it's in such a rubbish sport as basketball to start off with.

My friend told me today that more than forty percent of the British medal winners went to public school. An interesting statistic I think, if true, although I can't find the reference.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Here it is, and it's actually almost sixty percent!

"Look beyond the propaganda and you will find that 58 per cent of Great Britain's gold-medal winners at Athens in 2004 went to independent schools. You will also find that in the past three Olympics 45 per cent of medal winners went to the non-state sector. Given that only 7 per cent of children attend independent schools, and assuming that sporting talent is spread evenly, this is a striking demonstration of how Olympic success is driven by wealth as well as by ability. Either way, the 93 per cent who attend state schools are chronically under-represented."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4542323.ece

Edit: That statistic is referring to the 2004 Olympics but the arguments in the article are still valid.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some of the comments are great:

"Dare I suggest that the 'over representation' of private schools in the Olympics might actually be because they genuinely have an 'over representation' of Britains talent in them? As for the 45% of medal winers: Are you suggesting that the (foreign)Olympic judges etc are in on the 'discrimination'?"
Eric Skelton, Cardiff, Wales
I love the way that he's obviously completely failed to understand what kind of unfairness Syed is talking about and thinks that he means that team selection is simply and crudely biased towards public schools rather than that public schools are likely to have wealthier pupils who have more opportunities to take part in expensive "sports" such as dressage.

don_quixote

Trent End
it's because the only olympic sports we did at school were athletics none of this rowing sailing horse riding shite refering to everyone as your 'mate' calling teams 'boys' and 'girls' bollocks.

betcha adlington didn't go private. betcha everyone who got a medal in sailing did.

what are the proportions of university entry as a split nowadays?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also, sporting excellence isn't exactly encouraged in most state schools. PE at the schools I went to was an absolute joke.