staypuft

bwah bwah
Yeah it's all about variety, i'm just not hearing enough variety in the releases at the moment

the novelty (and amazing material) has left a bit, but as I said upthread, book or travel to see these fellas play live. non-chicagoans playing chicago footwork to a non-chicago audience can really only get you so far. it's bizarre that Rashad and company are not dissimilar to DMZ, but without nearly as much acclaim or (correct me if I'm wrong) paying gigs. these chicago cats can offer something completely unique from anyone else around the world in a live setting, as you'd think of Mala several years ago.

I'm not saying that footwork has as much momentum as dubstep did - rather, the ratio of footwork 'techniques' being co-opted by established scene names is disproportionately high to the recognition/benefit of the creators.

ps. wise, thanks for posting that awesome War Zone vid with EQ Why pon the decks.

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
^I'm never against godflesh but on hearing that I immediately thought you know what justin broadrick-related thing would be aces in a juke mashup? napalm death. two extreme, weird, sui generis musics. I bet juke + grindcore (if you chopped it up into loops) would go down a storm. or maybe not but I'd like to hear someone try.

*stick w/the original grindcore from the late 80s tho (nd, repulsion, fear of god, etc). grind peaked as an art form in 1988 or so. it's kind of a dead-end, if a glorious one.

564216_398133396876331_355660677790270_1214089_775326322_n.jpg

*artwork by Ashes57

ARTIST: DJ RASHAD
TITLE: TEKLIFE Vol. 1: Welcome to the Chi
LABEL: LIT CITY TRAX
FORMATS: DIGITAL / CD
CAT#: LCTRAX001
RELEASE DATE: June 5th, 2012

PRESS INQUIRIES:litcitytrax@gmail.com

Tracklisting

1. DJ Rashad - Feelin’
2. DJ Rashad - Don’t Drop It
3. DJ Rashad - iPod
4. DJ Rashad - Bakk Off
5. DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn - We Trippy Mane
6. DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn - Trap Bakk
7. DJ Rashad - She Gonna Go
8. DJ Rashad - Fly Spray
9. DJ Rashad - Twitter
10. DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn - We Leanin’
11. DJ Rashad - Da Life
12. DJ Rashad - Kush Ain’t Loud
13. DJ Rashad - Walk For Me
14. DJ Rashad - CCP
15. DJ Rashad - Chicago
16. DJ Rashad & DJ Manny - Over Ya Head
17. DJ Rashad - Well Well Well
18. DJ Rashad - Welcome to the Chi
19. DJ Rashad - Shoot Me
20. DJ Rashad - My Way Home

All tracks mixed by DJ Rashad
Additional mixing on tracks 5, 6 & 10 by DJ Spinn
Additional mixing on track 16 by DJ Manny
Engineering on track 5 by Rusty Santos

Mastered by Rusty Santos

Biography

Chicago kingpin, DJ Rashad, has been a quintessential figurehead in the evolution from Ghetto House to Footwork and its predecessor Juke. Consistently progressing the style, Rashad has been a bastion of the sound. His contributions have acted as blueprints and remain indispensable. His open production approach has helped him craft a unique brand of Footwork that is deeply rooted in Chicago's history of House as well as Soul, Funk, Jazz and Hip-Hop, simultaneously pushing the boundaries of House music into entirely new regions.

Rashad was born in Chicago, moving to the deep south suburb of Callumet City soon after. By the time he entered high school, he was a veteran dancer on the south side, cutting his teeth with the some of the most respected dance groups including House-O-Matics, The Phyrm, and Wolf Pac. Rashad promptly graduated to DJing and producing, making a plethora of high-octane Ghettohouse mixtapes.

Footworkers hit their moves, or werkz, and partied at Club Cavallini's and local skating rinks such as Markham Rink, the Rink on 87th St & Dolton Expo, where Rashad was a favourite and regular DJ. He could always be seen dancing and balling-up opponents between his blends. Meeting his longtime ally, DJ Spinn, during homeroom class at Thornwood High School in 1996, they quickly began producing tracks at each others' houses using any sampler or drum machine they could obtain . During this era, they DJ’d parties with the likes of RP Boo, DJ Clent, Gant-Man, Poncho and various essential Dance Mania DJs including DJ Deeon, Jammin Gerald, DJ Funk & DJ PJ. Their first release to make it to wax was in 1998 on Dance Mania - "DJ Rashad: Child Abuse/DJ Spinn: Motherfucker" [DM255] (mislabeled as DJ Thadz).

Repping Beatdown House alongside DJ Spinn, a clique founded by DJ Clent, the group dissolved over differences some years later. Rashad and Spinn remained close counterparts, crafting the sound that is heard today along with contemporaries such as RP Boo and Traxman. Soon after leaving Beatdown, Rashad and Spinn founded the Ghettoteknitianz. At present, the clique is the largest in the city, well-over a dozen strong producer wise, allied with dancers all over the cities south and west sides; such as Red Legends, The Foundation, Terra Squad, Wolf Pac, Taliban, Nu Era, Leaders of the New School and many more.

Rashad remains an archetypal figure, pioneering the sound that Footworkers dance to today. While tracks such as "Girl Bust Down", "Blowed Like The Wind" and "4 The Ghetto" established him as a local legend, his influence can be heard the world over from the young track makers of Chicago to internationally acclaimed acts such as Addison Groove, Africa Hitech, Nguzunguzu as well as a magnitude of others.

It has been over a year since the release of his last record and between the six European tours since then, he has been constantly producing, whether at Spinn's Trakk Factory or at his home studio. With the exception of the album’s closing track, the album is a carefully crafted selection from the vast amount of material produced by Rashad in the last year. Always pushing his sound forward into the unknown, "TEKLIFE Vol. 1: Welcome to the Chi" is an invaluable insight into the present sound of DJ Rashad and the future sound of Footwork. It will be released on Lit City Trax, an imprint co-founded by DJ Rashad, DJ Spinn & J-Cush. By the time the world catches up, Rashad will be way ahead once again. Stay tuned for the follow up full-length, "The Manny N Rashad Show", a collaborative effort, coming soon on Lit City Trax.

Benny Bunter

The Rashad album is a straight cop.

I would also strongly recommend people checking out the Corky Strong (aka Traxman) soundcloud, he's constantly putting up mixes of old house/acid/funk/soul/disco that are just fantastic. REAL DJ.

AZIZA

no comment and I'm not sure how aware Kanye is of his hometown sound you'd have to do some research there

that being said - Million Dollar Mano, Kanye's DJ, is a friend of Rashad's - might well have played Kanye trax...

The Rashad album is a straight cop.

I would also strongly recommend people checking out the Corky Strong (aka Traxman) soundcloud, he's constantly putting up mixes of old house/acid/funk/soul/disco that are just fantastic. REAL DJ.

PROPS he's got the CORKY STRONG soundcloud and TRAXMAN ones follow em both!

He puts up a mix or two a week.

Shout out to Gremino! Let's Jack was sick bruv.

wise

bare BARE BONES
can anyone id the Nicolette (of shut up & dance fame) sampling tune on the DJ Earl & Manny live at Da Warzone part 1 mix? it's the second to last tune