wonky

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Shit, just clocked the last Blackdown & Dusk tracklist. 'Harpy' on keysound?
:)

Yeah Harpy. It's a bit of a tune though I say so myself! Challenging but heavy and some nice bits to it. On the flipside of Soundclash. Works great with Hollybrook park, bruza's doin' me, bigshot's glitch, solid state, defocused, gutter music etc so it's fairly well roadtested as a mix tool. Almost blends with Justin Timberlake's My Love. No idea where harpy came from, totally wrote itself.

£10bag to anyone who can mix Harpy and Soundclash together off vinyl!

Almost blends with Justin Timberlake's My Love.

Sweetness like this sounds great alongside certain dubstep and wonky stuff.. Ayo technology, Lil Wayne's lollipop.. Rustie mixes up RnB instrumentals really well alongside his own sound, crunk etc in that BTS radio mix. Has his 'Bad science' got a mention yet? tune!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Sweetness like this sounds great alongside certain dubstep and wonky stuff..
Oh yeah. For real. I mean I love that tune, he's my favourite modern male singer, but there's so much to be done with the combo of sweet with hard / sour.
Rustie mixes up RnB instrumentals really well alongside his own sound, crunk etc in that BTS radio mix. Has his 'Bad science' got a mention yet? tune!
Fuck. I know so little. Didn't know rustie did that. Sounds awesome. Blackdown calls it my post-timbaland tune, which is a huge compliment.

optimum

Poochie
Yeah mixing rnb/rap tunes with dstep/whatever has been done a lot by Rusite, Hudmo, Ikonika et al for a while now. Really have to say big up to Rogue's Foam for that post, probably one of the best things I've read on a blog in a while. I showed it to Zomby and he loved it too :D

alex

Do not read this.
Yeah mixing rnb/rap tunes with dstep/whatever has been done a lot by Rusite, Hudmo, Ikonika et al for a while now. Really have to say big up to Rogue's Foam for that post, probably one of the best things I've read on a blog in a while. I showed it to Zomby and he loved it too :D

yea i got a mix Rustie did with loads of New R&B vocals over it...

got this Hudson Mowhawke tune sounds loads like timbo, was featured on the mary anne hobbs mix they did...comes in after the laffy taffy tune...big things.

luka

nothing intelligent to say, just that i always hated dubstep, i thought it was the worlds worst genre, but some of the people you lot are talking about in this thread are actually quite good.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
do you know what's so shockingly refreshing about that amazing post: it talks, at the highest level, about the music.

as music crit gets up to the highest levels, i'm often left with the nagging feeling that the actual music - structures, tones, arrangements, developments - is getting left behind, such that the only currency of value is the cultural one.

an example of this is at the nuum conference when Luton's Exodus collective were held up as the pinnacle of jungle in the context of Thatcher's Britain. now fair play to them but you'd only put them at the absolute pinnacle of the jungle movement if you were looking for socio-political movements within musical cultures, not the musical cultures themselves.

wonky gets dismissed by many on cultural grounds. what my original 'wonky' article did was point to interesting musical elements, no more, no less. if the meta-genre has no interesting cultural aspects, well sorry but that doesn't mean it is of no value.

luka

and that roguefoam thing was actually quite fun too.
i liked the pictures. its defineitly a massive improvement on dubstep.

alex

Do not read this.
Just to raise a point here, the uproar when you wrote that Wonky article ,blackdown, is abselutly ridiculous, & the cultural significance people try & tie into it makes me laugh... moar beatz plz x

edit** by the cultural significance, I dont mean music wise either, I mean the silly things like Ket, i know that simon reynolds article was meant to be a bit tounge in cheek (at least i hope) but seriously!!

Last edited:

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
nice to know the late nights paid off (so many times at 1am after uncovering yet another layer of complexity in Kaliko I'd be yelling "curse you Zomby you beautiful soundsmith!") but it's a real pleasure to talk about the music. 's good.

after about a week of constant wonkiness I put on Skream's 'Lightning' obnoxiously loud this morning. i guess you listen to classic dubstep for the bass and the cultural picture and wonky for the textures and rhythmic amazement. they're different games really, difficult to compare but both with a lot to offer.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Lightning is a great record, I mixed it with electro-y and techy dubstep and it worked really well.

I suppose they are sort of different genres, but they work much better when you mix between them - halfstep to wonky to grime to wobble to r'n'b to grime to dubstep. When you do it right the different textures reinforce each other, much better than staying in one template, even if it's a really good one.

mms

sometimes
writing out zomby's music was hilarious, i liked this piece cos it was so excessively about the music, to an almost proggy level, when alot of the writing has been ideological, i never need to see another piece like this again, it's brilliantly bonkers.

Last edited: