Fascism!

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
how do you guys put up with this? i dont know nomads dissensus history, is he/she always this crazy?

As far as I'm concerned, the burden of proof is on the one who made the claim. I'm simply responding to the claims you made about communism NOT resembling fascism. Communism has been identical to fascism, in every historical incarnation of it so far. You haven't been able to refute that, only resort to ad hominem attacks about how anyone whose hope isn't in a 150-year-old political ideal is "hopeless"...

nikbee

As far as I'm concerned, the burden of proof is on the one who made the claim. I'm simply responding to the claims you made about communism NOT resembling fascism. Communism has been identical to fascism, in every historical incarnation of it so far. You haven't been able to refute that, only resort to ad hominem attacks about how anyone whose hope isn't in a 150-year-old political ideal is "hopeless"...

whom have i attacked with pure opinion..? ive given you my definitions of communism and fascism..

"Communism has been identical to fascism, in every historical incarnation of it so far." you said this

how do you arrive here?.. this is insanity.

must.. not..respond..to you.......

nomadthethird

whom have i attacked with pure opinion..? ive given you my definitions of communism and fascism..

"Communism has been identical to fascism, in every historical incarnation of it so far." you said this

how do you arrive here?.. this is insanity.

must.. not..respond..to you.......

Authoritarianism IS fascism.

nikbee

bye guys. it was fun for a little.. rereading the badiou that i hadnt for a while.. good luck! think clearly!

vimothy

yurp
With respect to his fans, his writing seems like the modern equivalent of arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I am reminded of a sentence in Hardt & Negri's Empire: "This is the irrepressible lightness and joy of being communist." There is a quality of sound, perhaps, even the pretence of poetry, but what else does it offer?

That said, I would be intrigued to learn more about the ethnomethodological aspects of his thought.

nomadthethird

I like Badiou.

But he isn't very good at thinking about difference.

Badiou is Heidegger redux.

Take away the interesting points about technology and what you're left with is pastoralism, authenticity, and nostalgia.

["Make me whole again, Sky Daddy!"]

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Badiou's philosophy has an authoritarian streak, consonant with his system-building proclivities. His vocabulary (Event, Truth, "seizing" "purification") lends itself to zealous interpretations, which can be seen in his followers in the UK and USA; aka, the supporting cast at the recent Birkbeck communism conference. That conference was a demonstration of power by an emerging academic block. Badiou's reception into the English-speaking academy is an interesting story; in certain respects, he is the weapon of choice for ambitious young academics who want to displace the previous generation of deconstructionists, etc... Badiou gives them love, and he gives them power.

nomadthethird

his system-building proclivities.

Autism?

Btw, Nikbee is about as Yugoslavian as I am. And "uneducated" people don't say "in actu"...you'd have to be pretty overeducated not to realize how unlikely it would be for an uneducated person to use that phrase.

I have lots of friends whose families are refugees from the former Soviet bloc (most of them Jewish scientists, who else?), and none of them are as fluent in English as Nikbee is.

nomadthethird

With respect to his fans, his writing seems like the modern equivalent of arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I am reminded of a sentence in Hardt & Negri's Empire: "This is the irrepressible lightness and joy of being communist." There is a quality of sound, perhaps, even the pretence of poetry, but what else does it offer?

That said, I would be intrigued to learn more about the ethnomethodological aspects of his thought.

Today I found out my father might have cancer, and needs surgery to remove a pre-cancerous tumor.

I'll take 3 scientists over a whole continent full of revolutionaries, any day. You know, those crazy people who actually want to make life tangibly better for everyone.

nomadthethird

I can't wait until the communists pound down my door to lynch me and my relatives spray them with semi-automatic assault rifle fire.

chuckle