Convince me why I should like The Beatles

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Don't think anyone has mentioned "Eleanor Rigby". Crap sound in this video, but the best imagery of the ones I could see on youtube.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

the new arguably unnecessary big movie... i want to see it badly though! on mushrooms.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i've never been into the beatles, just heard the usual stuff you hear on the english breeze. but just now i had to sit through some bbc documentary with my gran, a total beatles fangirl...wow!!! they had some tunes!!!! and the beat in tomorrow never knows?!?!?!?! i thought ringo was supposed to be shit?!?!?! might be time for me to actually bother with listening to some of their albums... :slanted:

luka

after reading the whole thread i still find them twee and annoying. i take the point about haircuts and trousers though.

zhao

there are no accidents

have you had a proper listen to this tune lately?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
i reckon one of the heaviest numbers ever from any genre or era... made by a "mainstream pop" group...

luka

We must be from different planets. that made my ears bleed.
although to be fair, i wouldn't describe it as twee. just shrill and jarring.
funnily enough its the first time i've ever heard that song although i've heard of it, becasue of that manson thing.

luka

i dont want to overstate my case though. theres bits a find perfectly listenable. mostly that revolver album.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
one of the cooler bits in this doc was about helter skelter. basically they were fucking around in the studio trying to make it sound as trashy and violent as possible. the live take they kept and did overdubs on was the last take of a 12 hour session so already it had all that dirty, exhausted last take energy. then they added shitloads of distortion in the mix and blah blah... it's one of my gran's least favourites tho, she doesn't like any of the dark druggy ones. she goes for all the cheeky 'i love her she loves me' rnb numbers and the more cheerful ones.

crackerjack

My Gran's favourite was Here, There and Everywhere, which we played at her funeral last year. She bequeathed me her original copy of the album too, bless her.

CrowleyHead

I'm not sure what my grandma's was, but she had the anthology, and a good deal of the albums on wax.

When my family had to clean up my grandparents house, we ended up cleaning to a constant soundtrack of the anthology and the Beatles BBC sessions. Amusing enough to hear McCartney butcher Ray Charles; plus, dare I say it, "Sgt. Pepper (Reprise)" is one of the top 10 funk jams ever.

mms

sometimes
anyone see the documentary of their first tour last night?

Interesting, for me cos i love the directors the maysles brothers film the salesman alot.

but at that time, they had one or two ok songs, as the performances show, alot of keenly nice boy lovey dovey stuff which they balance off stage with alot of youthful wide eyed, cynical humour. They also had a fucking good manager, who in the film, just seems to sit back with his foxy secretary pushing all the right buttons, taking the calls engineering. It seems they could have been any interchangable merseyside beat combo were it not for the machine. Throughout, the blessings of Elvis and the colonel and various music moguls of the time, are quoted, just to remind you these guys are the actors, not the playwriters at that point.

The most interesting and revealing scene is when the band finish their first tv performance, where they look really fucking old school clean and british and go to an underground club, while an r and b band play on the stage, with a fierce performance, that has all that whole unique nyc cool as fuck buzz about it, the band try to fit in but look woefully stiff, (probably literally) as some fine hip girls shake it to the music, all they can do is gawp.
The next perfomance after a long train journey, they take some of that energy they saw on stage and loose some of the stiffness, let their hair down a bit more, i think they play 'can't buy me love'.

Who actually really thinks sergant peppers is good though?
It's an overegged mess to my ears, they did better albums. rubber soul and revolver are much better.

Last edited: