Fuck London

viktorvaughn

Slight tangent but what any tips for what's good in East for a six yr old hyperactive boy - I mentor such a kid and running out of ideas, so any appreciated! Hackney or East central etc.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
aaah gipsy hill. I grew up on South Croxted Road, lost my virginity in Crystal Palace. That's quite a good name for a song...

I can see Billy Bragg singing it (well, if he wasn't from barking, obv) :)

Word in for Tooting Bec Common too. Great place, and Bedford Hill has some of the nicest houses I've seen in London (south London housing stock is amazing).

S

simon silverdollar

Slight tangent but what any tips for what's good in East for a six yr old hyperactive boy - I mentor such a kid and running out of ideas, so any appreciated! Hackney or East central etc.

you done the city farm in hackney yet?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just looking at Google maps and there is a park near Brixton labelled 'Max Roach'. Am I missing something here?!

That must be the one up near that Jamm place... There's Fanon House up on Dulwich Road, and lots of other places in Brixton named after important figures who I don't think have any particular conenction to Brixton, geographically-speaking.

from wiki: In 1986 the London borough of Lambeth named a park in Brixton after him.[17][18] - Roach was able to officially open it when he visited the UK that year.

London boroughs are pretty cool sometimes.

ah, repeating x-post....

STN

sou'wester
I'm pretty sure the park sign says 'Max Roach Park', though I like the idea of the map just being labelled 'Max Roach' and him having to patrol the area to make it true.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Edit: if you haven't already, in Peckham, go to Persepolis. Amazing shop."
What does it sell?
I love bits of town where the train goes over the road on kind of raised bridges, - Peckham got the thumbs up for that reason. From what I saw it's a strange mixture of old-fashioned country style houses and factories and the train wending (well going in a straight line) over that adds an extra slice of character somehow. In fact, I love getting the train out of London in general, seeing how the city gives way to factories and finally countryside. Overland beats the hell out of tube in my book.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's mostly stuff imported from Iran - so lots of foodstuffs I haven't seen anywhere else (sour grape powder etc.....not sure about their sumac though :slanted:), but also lots of interesting books/CDs, and (ideal for presents) ornamental teapots/glasses/ashtrays in a Persian style. Some fo these are well-made but partly tacky, but then I love things that are partly tacky...

Overland is great - any more tips for good overland journeys. I take the Thameslink every day, but that's the only one I know well.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Overland is great - any more tips for good overland journeys. I take the Thameslink every day, but that's the only one I know well."
I enjoyed getting the tube to Hammersmith - emerges into the open somewhere after Edgeware Road and gives you a good overview of that bit of the town (and that enormous shopping centre thing). Not sure it's exactly picturesque but worth checking at least once I'd say.

"It's mostly stuff imported from Iran - so lots of foodstuffs I haven't seen anywhere else (sour grape powder etc.....not sure about their sumac though ), but also lots of interesting books/CDs, and (ideal for presents) ornamental teapots/glasses/ashtrays in a Persian style. Some fo these are well-made but partly tacky, but then I love things that are partly tacky..."
Sounds good.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the Spitalfields city farm is a stone's throw from Brick Lane, had a lot of contented, busy youngsters last time i was there

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'd say yes, probably*. As for countryside, London certainly has that, as much as New York or Paris for example! Kent, Surrey, Sussex etc are all incredibly verdant - you can take a train out of Victoria or Waterloo and be in the countryside in no time.
It's not that there isn't any countryside, it's just that the relationship of the city with the surrounding countryside doesn't seem to be important in the same way that it is for somewhere a bit smaller... it doesn't figure so much in the city's psyche.

And parks etc (even fairly big ones) are a different issue because they're greenspace bounded by the city rather than city bounded by countryside.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
whereas in the UK, Edinburgh is certainly lovely, and the large provincial English cities are all good (Cardiff too), and Cambridge rocks etc etc etc but they're all a huge way behind London in terms of general grooviness. whereas, say, Boston is not much less buzzing than New York.
It's not even a grooviness thing so much as being so big as to have another layer of geographical structure, another level of localization and grouping...

Pestario

tell your friends
to add a bit of urban theory to mix: dominance of one city over an area is known as urban primacy. London is a 'primate' and is one of the strongest examples in the world

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of the best things in Persepolis is the selection of beautifully made, ornate, delicious pastry sweet things. Kind of in the same genus as baklava, but less sticky - pistachio seems to feature strongly. They are in no uncertain terms LUSH.

Persian pastry things - for the Dissensian who's tired of baklava. (tm)

viktorvaughn

Another good thing about London - Neals yard. OK, it's expensive but I spent a tenner on three bits of cheese are all so flippin nice and are quite strong and will last a long time. Plus got to try about ten cheeses in the shop. It's not like a tenner would get you far in a rubbish expensive bar or something...

luka

Slight tangent but what any tips for what's good in East for a six yr old hyperactive boy

epping forest is great.

mudchute farm is better than the hackney one, quite comfortbly.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Another good thing about London - Neals yard. OK, it's expensive but I spent a tenner on three bits of cheese are all so flippin nice and are quite strong and will last a long time. Plus got to try about ten cheeses in the shop. It's not like a tenner would get you far in a rubbish expensive bar or something...

my housemate works there, so we get shitloads of stuff free... :)