Fuck London

S

simon silverdollar

at Mudchute they have a great selection of oversized and undersized animals - giant rabbits the size of dogs and tiny goats and ducks the size of turkeys and the like.

on the right drugs, it could well be terrifying.

on the Persepolis tip, they also do an amazing selection of dried fruit, compressed into foot long strips. and i like their 'shoplifters will be beheaded' sign.

STN

sou'wester
Is it time for someone to archly (yet correctly) mention that Michael K. Vegfruit is a really funny name for a shop?

audiofelch

One of the best things in Persepolis is the selection of beautifully made, ornate, delicious pastry sweet things. Kind of in the same genus as baklava, but less sticky - pistachio seems to feature strongly. They are in no uncertain terms LUSH.

Persian pastry things - for the Dissensian who's tired of baklava. (tm)

great shop.run by a rather distinct crimson haired woman. i'll also vouch for the pastries!
I've been in this area for 6 years.. very recently bought part of a place here, and grow more affectionate towards it each year.. a good atmosphere. it's charms are certainly not writ large, it's pretty grounded and no nonsense. but if youre the type that delights in lower case details and idiosyncracies, its worth a regular visit.
The afformentioned greeness of south, south-east london is really refreshing.... such a great tonic to the areas of (intriguing) grot.

bizarrely, i was born here, but left aged 4 for the countryside, returning at 18 to eventually gravitate to the same spot: bloody unimaginative, I know.

Was in that art gallery thing in the multi-storey car park.
for those interested... this closes after this weekend.

low band

I'll never forget the first time I exited Dalston train station at around 9pm on a warm balmy Saturday night, I was living there within a week (I originally stopped off in London for a party while on the way to start working for the YHA). Spent the next 6 years living pretty much within the same few streets and never felt the need to go anywhere else in the city. (I had previously spent a bit of time in West London and felt neither here nor there with regards to the place).

My main route for a stroll at first was walking between Haggerston and the bagel shop in Stokey. Did that for quite a while when I wasn't working.

Had to leave in the end mainly due to the wage < rent situation.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I realised today that despite having grown up in a village and legging it off to the hills at any excuse, I actually get a bit freaked out by the countryside after dark. It's like, there's noone around. It was odd getting the train in south cambridgeshire at about nine after biking along utterly deserted lanes, through dead villages feeling like it was three in the morning, and then getting into Finsbury Park an hour later and coming up Green Lanes where people are eating, drinking, shopping for groceries, hanging out on the street...

Generally, I think, being somewhere that basically stays open at night is one of those things like having a mobile phone that you don't really think about being dependent on until you're somewhere that isn't like that and you're about to go out for a pint of milk and some onions at half ten at night and realize that all the shops shut at half five.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
Generally, I think, being somewhere that basically stays open at night is one of those things like having a mobile phone that you don't really think about being dependent on until you're somewhere that isn't like that and you're about to go out for a pint of milk and some onions at half ten at night and realize that all the shops shut at half five.

went down the Herne Bay the other week, my friend I was staying with was like, bruv, you best go shop now init. I allowed it & was like "let's just go 24's"..

there isnt any 24's....lol

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Just remembered this:
It's not even a grooviness thing so much as being so big as to have another layer of geographical structure, another level of localization and grouping...

Italo Calvino said:
There is the city in the shape of Amsterdam, a semicircle facing north, with concentric canals-the princes', the emperor's, the nobles'; there is the city in the shape of York, set among the high moors, walled, bristling with towers; there is the city in the shape of New Amsterdam known also as New York, crammed with towers of glass and steel on an oblong island between two rivers, with streets like deep canals, all of them straight, except Broadway.

The catalogue of forms is endless: until every shape has found its city, new cities will continue to be born. When the forms exhaust their variety and come apart, the end of cities begins. In the last pages of the atlas there is an outpouring of networks without beginning or end, cities in the shapes of Los Angeles, in the shape of Kyoto-Osaka, without shape.

sufi

lala
This Thursday and Friday I’ll be hiding copies of Shit London 2 in various locations across London and then tweeting where you can find them. You’ll have to move quickly as they may not hang around forever. Somebody else might claim them first, someone might accidentally stumble across one and end up throwing it away or you may arrive on the scene to find an explosives team sending a robot to poke at it ( please, please don’t let that happen )

If you want a chance to get your hands on a copy then follow me on Twitter @shitlondon and keep your eyes out for tweets telling you where to find the secreted copies.

Good luck London!
http://shitlondon.co.uk/free-books/

luka

London responds:

120527-6.jpg
Best city in the world

IdleRich

IdleRich
Where you at Wektor? I live in Portugal now, have you moved to Lisbon or have to Hackney where I used to live? If the latter - as I suspect - I can maybe give you some tips but they might be a little out of date...

wektor

Where you at Wektor? I live in Portugal now, have you moved to Lisbon or have to Hackney where I used to live? If the latter - as I suspect - I can maybe give you some tips but they might be a little out of date...
ohh fucks totally missed that bit, I'm bad with reading dates over the posts at times.
Hackney, round Hoxton. What I remember from going out here a few years ago is probably just as much out of date (ie. Logos at dance tunnel)
any tips n tricks are appreciated