shakahislop

I dont know huge amounts about the situation but i know about 10 years ago the us found billions worth of minerals in the country. Did they mine them all then fuck off?

This is an article about it from 2010
no. it's a bit complicated but to summarize, basically no-one has been able to do much in the way of extractives because of the security situation. there have been some attempts but extractive industries need workers physically present on the ground, and they are an easy target in a place which is so violent. there are bits and pieces going on informally, with money being made by one government (eg lapis in panjshir/badakhshan) or taliban faction (eg talc in the east, i forget the province) or the other.

shakahislop

i think that's a good guess,
weirdly i still remember a feeling of optimism the last time that they got to this stage and afg was looking at being united (under the taliban) for the first time in a generation, they never quite got there though. It could be a good thing if there was no war in afghanistan.
i don't know whether the taliban are likely to split - they are still ethnically & religiously homogenous, i guess? i'm sure they could cook up some intra-pashtun rivalries, but i don't get the feeling they will be as bothered about dogma and takfirism as isis.
I wonder if there's any prospect of the current government facilitating an orderly handover of power (maybe avoiding fighting in Kabul), probably not while they still have b52s behind them
this is where i am now, more or less. the past week has been shocking, really shocking, really horrendous, really horrible, worried for so many people who are in hiding and very scared in kabul and kandahar. its been fucking horrible and pretty traumatic, for the guys there, for me, for all my friends who are trying to deal with this new reality. but there is one possible silver lining, which has a lot of potential to disappear, which is that maybe this is the end of a 39 year war - because one side has finally comprehensively won.

also, i now consider you a prophet

shakahislop

Minus the weapons, these guys could easily be proper 1960s hippies, don't you think?
i guess once you've got the long hair and beard thing going on, and given that you're wearing a salwar kameez whatever, you're not that far off a 60s hippy thing. the long hair is interesting in that i wonder if it's a practical thing (hard to get a haircut if you're hiding in the mountains), or if it's a specific emulation of the 80s mujaheddin. let's face it, whatever the reality, it's easy for afghans and foreigners to romanticise the 80s mujaheddin.

one thing that i always notice in this part of the world (afg and pakistan) is how much attention people pay to clothing, beauty, finely trimmed beards, great headgear etc. it's honestly not dissimilar to brooklyn in terms of how much people give a shit about what they look like. this seems to disappear once you get as far as india and definitely once you get to bangladesh. no idea where the exact border is. no idea why. everyone in islamabad is so well turned out.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sufi this is too much to read, I failed you sorry
This is a fantastic response, I would have been impressed if any of those so-called intellectuals and experts that @luka asked to read this via twitter had replied honestly in this vein instead of loftily pretending to be too busy and not even deigning to acknowledge the implicit challenge it threw down (at least, I assume it did, as I now feel able to come out of the closet and admit that i too am a colossal failure in this respect as in so many others).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i guess once you've got the long hair and beard thing going on, and given that you're wearing a salwar kameez whatever, you're not that far off a 60s hippy thing. the long hair is interesting in that i wonder if it's a practical thing (hard to get a haircut if you're hiding in the mountains), or if it's a specific emulation of the 80s mujaheddin. let's face it, whatever the reality, it's easy for afghans and foreigners to romanticise the 80s mujaheddin.

one thing that i always notice in this part of the world (afg and pakistan) is how much attention people pay to clothing, beauty, finely trimmed beards, great headgear etc. it's honestly not dissimilar to brooklyn in terms of how much people give a shit about what they look like. this seems to disappear once you get as far as india and definitely once you get to bangladesh. no idea where the exact border is. no idea why. everyone in islamabad is so well turned out.
Reminds me of a line in Rushdie, which goes something like "The Pakistanis dressed up, the Indians dressed down, and the Bangladeshis dressed badly."

craner

Beast of Burden
This is a fantastic response, I would have been impressed if any of those so-called intellectuals and experts that @luka asked to read this via twitter had replied honestly in this vein instead of loftily pretending to be too busy and not even deigning to acknowledge the implicit challenge it threw down (at least, I assume it did, as I now feel able to come out of the closet and admit that i too am a colossal failure in this respect as in so many others).

I don't take it personally.

Leo

no. it's a bit complicated but to summarize, basically no-one has been able to do much in the way of extractives because of the security situation. there have been some attempts but extractive industries need workers physically present on the ground, and they are an easy target in a place which is so violent. there are bits and pieces going on informally, with money being made by one government (eg lapis in panjshir/badakhshan) or taliban faction (eg talc in the east, i forget the province) or the other.

NY Times op-ed today about China getting ready: In Afghanistan, China Is Ready to Step Into the Void

With the U.S. withdrawal, Beijing can offer what Kabul needs most: political impartiality and economic investment. Afghanistan in turn has what China most prizes: opportunities in infrastructure and industry building — areas in which China’s capabilities are arguably unmatched — and access to $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits, including critical industrial metals such as lithium, iron, copper and cobalt. Though critics have raised the point that Chinese investment is not a strategic priority in a less secure Afghanistan, I believe otherwise.

Chinese companies have a reputation for investing in less stable countries if it means they can reap the rewards. That doesn’t always happen so smoothly, but China has patience. Although the presence of U.S. troops went some way toward preventing armed groups from using Afghanistan as a haven, their exit also means that a 20-year war with the Taliban has ended. Therefore the barriers for Chinese investment on a large scale are removed. China is of course a major buyer of the world’s industrial metalsand minerals to fund its economic engine.

HannahB

and how she presents
Just attended a good online lecture, her show was *isis affected not taliban; mark fisher is mentioned is a sentence of the text ~ may be irrelevant to this thread 🧵“
»Efia«, the sophomore album by Rosaceae, picks up where the Hamburg-based sound artist’s 2019 debut on Neoprimitive left off, further exploring the topics that had already informed »Nadia’s Escape«. From its confrontative front cover to the eight tracks on the album, »Efia« is fully dedicated to the motif of resistance, but does not exhaust itself in polemics. Rather, it masterfully translates the complexities of its underlying central themes into a visceral narrative.
»Efia« was originally conceived as a commissioned work for the 2019 edition of Hamburg’s Noisexistance festival and departed from a sentence uttered in the British 1980s TV show »Sapphire & Steel« which inspired cultural theorist Mark Fisher in his analysis of what he had coined »hauntology,« a term originally coined by the Algerian-French philosopher Jacques Derrida in the early 1990s: »There is no time here, not anymore.«
The album again showcases Rosaceae’s knack for combining abstract experimental sound art with a form of storytelling that had already been at the centre of »Nadia’s Escape« and which relies on both verbal and musical means of giving a voice to the voiceless. The disembodied voice of - amongst others - Jesseline Preach and manipulated vocal samples blend in with dense soundscapes, elements of Neue Musik and occasional pure harsh noise. It’s a mix that deliberately puts different artistic traditions into a dialogue with each other: the hallmarks of European salon culture are con- fronted with Kurdish wedding music and the unnerving loop of someone demanding a »Zugabe« (»encore«).
Thus, »Efia« not only blurs the lines between cultural and regional traditions, but also conjures up the ghosts of a past, ghosts that are more than ready to haunt the timeless present trying so hard to repress the atrocities happening at its fringes. As a whole, this makes »Efia« both a chilling work of sound art and a vibrant political statement fuelled by burning hot energy.

Written and produced by Rosaceae
Mixed by Anders Fallesen
Mastered by Rashad Becker “

HannahB

Well also it’s hard reading and makes you feel sick because it is about empire, so you can only read it in small bits and don’t really want to

luka

he says our values are universal values and it is our duty to share them with the oppressed people of the world. so thats the intellectual background to it.

woops

is not like other people
and how she presents
Just attended a good online lecture, her show was *isis affected not taliban; mark fisher is mentioned is a sentence of the text ~ may be irrelevant to this thread 🧵
also irrelevant but i've played at the golden pudel a few times great place, my stuff goes down well in hamburg for some reason.

before it burned down:
zon-9145975.jpg

after rebuilding cos everyone loves it:
pah-190718-99-113878-dpai.jpg

the vibe (as it was?) inside:
golden-pudel-interior-entrance.jpg

luka

im not mocking him btw. no one wants to hear all these horrible stories about savage people in barbaric lands and how they treat their women etc its a understandable and human response, we cant let this happen!