HannahB

also irrelevant but i've played at the golden pudel a few times great place, my stuff goes down well in hamburg for some reason.

before it burned down:
zon-9145975.jpg

after rebuilding cos everyone loves it:
pah-190718-99-113878-dpai.jpg

the vibe (as it was?) inside:
golden-pudel-interior-entrance.jpg
Oh yes it looks pretty 🤩

IdleRich

IdleRich
also irrelevant but i've played at the golden pudel a few times great place, my stuff goes down well in hamburg for some reason.

before it burned down:
zon-9145975.jpg

after rebuilding cos everyone loves it:
pah-190718-99-113878-dpai.jpg

the vibe (as it was?) inside:
golden-pudel-interior-entrance.jpg
I never knew you played there @woops, I always hoped to try and wangle a gig but it burbed down before I got a chance

woops

is not like other people
it got rebuilt and still running, shouldn't be too difficult to get a booking if you talk to a few people. i've been to hamburg about 10 times

IdleRich

IdleRich
No I don’t know anything about craner and no wonder then.
I would advise you to form your own opinion, possibly by looking at what he says and does, if you just accept what you're told and then let that decide how you understand his work you will be getting things backwards.
In fact this is a good way to think in general, not just when @craner is involved.

Last edited:

HannahB

he says our values are universal values and it is our duty to share them with the oppressed people of the world. so thats the intellectual background to it.
Those are the tenets of the enlightenment tho
I would advise you to form your own opinion, possibly by looking at what he says and does, if you just accept what you're told and then let that decide how you understand his work you will be getting things backwards.
In fact this is a good way to think in general, not just when @craner is involved.
is this comment another joke?

Leo

just to make things a little more fun...

ISIS Branch Poses Biggest Immediate Terror Threat to Evacuation in Kabul

The United States has been battling the Taliban and their militant partners in Afghanistan, Al Qaeda and the Haqqani network, for 20 years.

But the biggest immediate threat to both the Americans and the Taliban as the United States escalates its evacuation at the Kabul airport before an Aug. 31 withdrawal deadline is a common rival that is lesser known: Islamic State Khorasan, or ISIS-K, the terrorist group’s affiliate in Afghanistan.

Created six years ago by disaffected Pakistani Taliban, ISIS-K has carried out dozens of attacks in Afghanistan this year. American military and intelligence analysts say threats from the group include a bomb-laden truck, suicide bombers infiltrating the crowd outside Hamid Karzai International Airport and mortar strikes against the airfield.

The threats lay bare a complicated dynamic between the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the Haqqani network, and their bitter rival, ISIS-K, in what analysts say portends a bloody struggle involving thousands of foreign fighters on both sides.

A United Nations report in June concluded that 8,000 to 10,000 fighters from Central Asia, the North Caucasus region of Russia, Pakistan and the Xinjiang region in western China have poured into Afghanistan in recent months. Most are associated with the Taliban or Al Qaeda, the report said, but others are allied with ISIS-K.

“Afghanistan has now become the Las Vegas of the terrorists, of the radicals and of the extremists,” said Ali Mohammad Ali, a former Afghan security official. “People all over the world, radicals and extremists, are chanting, celebrating the Taliban victory. This is paving the way for other extremists to come to Afghanistan.”

shakahislop

In your opinion, did the US/UK invasion really buy anything other than a two-decade sort-of interregnum in what would otherwise have been uninterrupted Taliban control? I mean, in a year, will the country be in any way better off than if it had never happened?

firstly, i really don't think i've gotten enough credit for my predictions of government collapse earlier in this thread. other forums would give me some kind of badge to display. i'm thinking of leaving actually to ply my trade on the man united forum. or a girlfriend.

i don't think it bought anything. there were some gains. but the basic fact of what went on in this 20 year period (between the old taliban government and whatever is coming into being now) is that the country experienced a long, violent conflict, in which the UK/US/NATO/government of Afghanistan was one side. so the invasion bought some seriously negative consequences, and anything else has to be weighed up against not only the huge number of civilian casualties, but also the huge number of afghan army causalities and importantly the huge number of taliban casualties. not to mention all the other consequences of the conflict, such as the absolute fear that was involved in living in Kabul for everyone who was there, all the UK lads who have to deal with the consequences of experiencing the war in Helmand, their families, the same for the americans, the same for all the Nepali security guards who worked in the country, how it must have felt to live in fear of drone strikes at any moment, all the people who got hit by IEDs or airstrikes while trying to farm their land, all of the torture in taliban prisons, in bagram, in guantanamo, the people killed by car bombs on vollyball games, all the assassinations of mullahs, tribal elders....and so on and so forth. the last twenty years have been for most people involved absolutely horrible, I would say. we tend to hear the most from the voices in the cities, from people who are basically more similar to us. the experience of your average woman or man in kunar or wherever is a different thing.

i think in terms of it being an interregnum, we have to see what comes next. i'm not that confident that what we are going to see is unified taliban rule. no-one knows the answer to this question but this could be a short period which will soon evolve into another phase of the civil war which has basically been going on for 39 years. if we do see a real taliban government that does control the country, then we will see what kind of policies they have.

craner

Beast of Burden
firstly, i really don't think i've gotten enough credit for my predictions of government collapse earlier in this thread. other forums would give me some kind of badge to display. i'm thinking of leaving actually to ply my trade on the man united forum. or a girlfriend.

Apologies, you were very prescient. This is a tough forum.