luka

the thing about politics is that you know everything you ever need to know by the age of 13. you're totally right about everything. all politicians are venal corrupt liars and should be publicly executed all journalists are craven corrupt liars and should be publicly executed, you know, eat the rich, war is bad etc but some people, too clever for their own good, start to doubt these certainties and ask themselves questions like, but what if war is good, what if the rich are our benefactors. they start using the word 'nuance' (this happens usually in the late teens, early twenties but can occur at any stage after) and find themselves endorsing all sorts of things their 13 year old self would be horrified by.

its a disease and if you recognise its happening to you, pull out before its too late.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the thing about politics is that you know everything you ever need to know by the age of 13. you're totally right about everything. all politicians are venal corrupt liars and should be publicly executed all journalists are craven corrupt liars and should be publicly executed, you know, eat the rich, war is bad etc but some people, too clever for their own good, start to doubt these certainties and ask themselves questions like, but what if war is good, what if the rich are our benefactors. they start using the word 'nuance' (this happens usually in the late teens, early twenties but can occur at any stage after) and find themselves endorsing all sorts of things their 13 year old self would be horrified by.

its a disease and if you recognise its happening to you, pull out before its too late.
That all sounds very fine and idealistic, although it's slightly undermined by the fact that you don't have any beliefs or values whatsoever beyond being a bit of a wind-up merchant on the internet. So it costs you nothing to strike a pose and say "war is evil", but we both know you'd rather cut your own lips off than do anything as sad and dorky as go on an anti-war march.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is why your whole pro-Russia/pro-China shtick falls flat, because you don't even have the poor excuse of actually being a tankie, as that would require a level of political commitment you don't have, not by a mile.

luka

ive probably mentioned it on here before too. it was an eyeopener for me cos i realised how the left shelters so many sleazy types preying on and exploiting the naïvety and idealism of the young

luka

theres a kind of mind-rape aspect of the left which i think is integral to it. i dont think it can shed itself of that. it wants martyrs too beasue martyrs feed the machine. marches in some ways are designed to generate martyrs.