luka

The acreage between Tigris and Euphrates has produced half of Syria's annual wheat crop and a third of Iraq's. It is able to produce crops worth possibly US$200 million per year if properly managed, and the UN Food and Agricultural Organization believes that 40% of Iraq's wheat-producing land is under ISIL control.[36][12] It is believed that ISIL confiscates wheat and barley crops as zakat, as well as farming equipment that is then rented back to farmers. The organization maintains strict control over the production and distribution of crops, effectively setting prices

HannahB

The acreage between Tigris and Euphrates has produced half of Syria's annual wheat crop and a third of Iraq's. It is able to produce crops worth possibly US$200 million per year if properly managed, and the UN Food and Agricultural Organization believes that 40% of Iraq's wheat-producing land is under ISIL control.[36][12] It is believed that ISIL confiscates wheat and barley crops as zakat, as well as farming equipment that is then rented back to farmers. The organization maintains strict control over the production and distribution of crops, effectively setting prices
Are they linked with K economically and how are eg. extortion, human trafficking and selling artifacts appropriate for those with strict religiously motivated moral codes?

luka

what is K sorry? as for the latter there's usally a get out clause with these things. if youre doing it for jihad its generally permissable.

sufi

lala
K is for Khorosan, the old fashioned islamic state in iran/afg
so isis k is the islamic state franchise in afg
apparently isis iraq donated $20 million to isis k
so luka is correct, unlikely though that may seem

sufi

lala
ive just read this so now i know the answer in forensic detail
except that its obviously been censored as there is no mention of the CIA
one thing that i have long wondered about is what do ISIS say about Mecca and Medina?
the holy places of the hijaz, Mecca central to islamic practice as the direction of prayer and destination of haj, Medina is the mosque and the tomb of the prophet, currently under stewardship of the universally hated Saudi royals.
Isis always go on about their plans for world domination - their motto was "continuous and expanding", but they don't say clearly, as far as i have seen, what would their plans be for the holy sites.
They have fucked up a lot of ancient sites, non-islamic and shia sites as well as more mainstream islamic sites that sunnis revere - e.g Jonah's shrine, and i wonder whether they see Mecca and Medina in the same light, as a focus of worship that distracts from proper monotheism - and might want to destroy them too. The saudis are already bulldozing old islamic sites in saudi for similar reasons, but i wonder whether ISIS don't mention it because they don't want to alienate their Saudi supporters.
or as usual maybe it's just me being ignorant and the issue is obvious and the answer is well known
Night-Beautiful-Makkah-Kabah-Wallpaper-Photos.jpg

The last group of rabid extremists to get their hands on mecca apparently just wanted the house of saud out, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_seizure not to purge the temple or destroy it, a relatively little known but thoroughly brutal and prefiguring episode

shakahislop

K is for Khorosan, the old fashioned islamic state in iran/afg
so isis k is the islamic state franchise in afg
apparently isis iraq donated $20 million to isis k
so luka is correct, unlikely though that may seem

i'm a bit out of date, but a pretty well regarded geezer antonio giustozzi wrote a whole book about IS Khorosan, which i spent a few days getting drunk by myself and reading at a bar in greenpoint. i mention this circumstance for colour. unsurprisingly none of the brooklyn culture mafia came and introduced themselves because it must have looked pretty weird in retrospect. i think in that he says that he reckons that the kind of guys who would normally fund ISIS, i mean private donors in the Gulf rather than governments, also started to fund the afghanistan branch. he also says there was probably some ISIS guys who made trips to Afghanistan to give ISKP bits and pieces of training.

i know other people in the afghanistan security and counter-terrorism world who say that giustozzi is full of shit though. but to be honest my impression of that kind of world is that no-one really knows very much. it's international jihadi terrorism after all, they put a lot of effort into hiding what they're doing, so it's not surprising that no-one knows much. i think giustozzi has a reputation stemming from the 00s where he seemed to be able to get pretty good information on the taliban.

also once he was in my car and there wasn't enough space, so i had to go in the boot, and it made me feel sick

my personal opinion is that ISKP are absolute cunts

luka

you cant hype the new ones up too early it goes to their heads. you have to make them work for it.
haze them a bit etc

sufi

lala
i know other people in the afghanistan security and counter-terrorism world who say that giustozzi is full of shit though. but to be honest my impression of that kind of world is that no-one really knows very much. it's international jihadi terrorism after all, they put a lot of effort into hiding what they're doing, so it's not surprising that no-one knows much. i think giustozzi has a reputation stemming from the 00s where he seemed to be able to get pretty good information on the taliban.

also once he was in my car and there wasn't enough space, so i had to go in the boot, and it made me feel sick

my personal opinion is that ISKP are absolute cunts
I think Jason Burke has a similar journalistic profile, not sure about him forcing foreigners into car boots, but i expect that he'd be up for that too
i do get the feeling that there is a gulf between what the english language journalists report and whatever you could just find on twitter if your arabic or pashtu was up to it

Leo

we have no real clue as to all the changing alliances, allegiances, marriages-of-convenience, enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend, ulterior motives, etc. conspiracy theories are great, but sometimes it's as simple as "follow the money".