Whats it like on the outside looking in?

N

nomadologist

I was in America for a while 96-7 and i went to some warehouse parties etc in the bay area, and it was not in the least a gay scene. in fact it was pretty "urban" and quite sketchy...funny mix of people... however it was also NOTHING like anything that went on in england

people were BREAKDANCING.

Are you sure there weren't gay people there? ;) in SF it would just surprise me very much if a cool club was not at least 30% gay in its clientele, but I suppose anything's possible.

By 1996-1997 I would say the major wave of "raving" was over round here.

swears

preppy-kei
Closer to home, there's a magic rave in an episode of inspector morse.

Was that the one where he says "this is like sodom and gommarah" at a club? And the murder victim was a lovely girl until she got into all that weirdo druggy rave stuff?

STN

sou'wester
Was that the one where he says "this is like sodom and gommarah" at a club? And the murder victim was a lovely girl until she got into all that weirdo druggy rave stuff?

Yep. And she has some personal connection to Morse who gets really jolly cross about it all.

Lame to fame: one of my mates is a 'ravegoer' in that episode. I think she even has a really cringesome line or two to speak.

N

nomadologist

So no-one at all in America nowadays gives a shit about dance music unless it is ironic hipster faire?

You did say 'no one here even remembers what they were, or cares, or listens (heaven forbid) to the music.'

Well, that was an exaggeration--there are some people (like Dominic is a good example) who were around for the first wave and care and love the music on its own merits, but these are extremely few and far between from what I've seen. And I've been to a lot of parties. These big bangin electronic music parties don't really happen anymore.

I wouldn't say no one cares unless it's "ironic hipster fare"...I love the original acid house, detroit techno, I love MAW, cybotron all of that stuff. no irony involved. I love dance music of many forms full-stop. I love disco without a trace of irony.

I wouldn't assume everybody is "ironic" in their appreciation of things...I know a lot are, but not erreerrybody

N

nomadologist

Yep. And she has some personal connection to Morse who gets really jolly cross about it all.

Lame to fame: one of my mates is a 'ravegoer' in that episode. I think she even has a really cringesome line or two to speak.

Do you suppose this episode is up on youtube? teehee

swears

preppy-kei

Hahaha...

This is the sort of thing that terrified my nan when she found out I went to Bugged Out at the weekend. She thought it was all heroin and ritual sacrifice on the dancefloor. When really it was just some spods on carling lager rocking out to "Life Cycle".

N

nomadologist

Swears said:
Hahaha...

This is the sort of thing that terrified my nan when she found out I went to Bugged Out at the weekend. She thought it was all heroin and ritual sacrifice on the dancefloor. When really it was just some spods on carling lager rocking out to "Life Cycle"

roffle!

I love it when people would try to scare you about pills and say, with awe and a little excitement "I've heard some people cut pills with heroin!" Hilarious. Yes, it would make perfect sense to take MDMA powder, which costs about 4 cents per pill to manufacture, and "cut" it with a drug that costs 1000 times more per volume and that can't be metabolized through the stomach anyway unless it's pressed properly in a factory.

People are so stupid!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Closer to home, there's a magic rave in an episode of inspector morse.

This episode became a running gag between my Dad and I every time I would play him anything vaguely dance-y "It's got a good beat this hasn't it sir...?" (Lewis to Morse... cue withering look from the Classical loving Inspector...)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
One of the things about dance music in the 90s, and it sounds like an 'orrible cliche, is that it was a global simultaneity, techno and it's variants especially. Also there was nothing wrong seen in mixing up styles from what on their home turf might come from quite distinct scenes*. It was one big fucking love party ;)

*Of course that's still the case and kind of what this thread is about.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
roffle!

I love it when people would try to scare you about pills and say, with awe and a little excitement "I've heard some people cut pills with heroin!" Hilarious. Yes, it would make perfect sense to take MDMA powder, which costs about 4 cents per pill to manufacture, and "cut" it with a drug that costs 1000 times more per volume and that can't be metabolized through the stomach anyway unless it's pressed properly in a factory.

People are so stupid!

This is the precise argument I always give when I hear this ludicrous myth, but people just don't believe it for some reason.

STN

sou'wester
This episode became a running gag between my Dad and I every time I would play him anything vaguely dance-y "It's got a good beat this hasn't it sir...?" (Lewis to Morse... cue withering look from the Classical loving Inspector...)

God, I remember that line! Doesn't Lewis have a techno-loving teenage daughter factored into the episode as well?

Obviously the Satanic episode with Keith Allen and Terry off Eastenders is the best one.

My favourite thing about TV raves is the actors having to dance without music and the music then being dubbed over afterwards. Marvellous.

N

nomadologist

In the 90s? Simultaneous?

Huh.

i have the Fergie song "Glamorous" in my head and it won't go away :mad:

N

nomadologist

This is the precise argument I always give when I hear this ludicrous myth, but people just don't believe it for some reason.

It's hilarious, it's like "dealers would rather sell the heroin for $10 AND the pill for $25, instead of just the pill for $25"

Why are people so...ugh...

swears

preppy-kei
roffle!

People are so stupid!

Some kids at my school thought that their weed was cut with opium, when it was shitty resin that didn't even have much weed in it in the first place. (More like oxo cubes)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Christ, $25 for a pill :eek: - no wonder ecstasy never took off in America like it did over here.

Anyway, ahem - let's try and keep this thread about the music, maan.

straight

wings cru
One of the things about dance music in the 90s, and it sounds like an 'orrible cliche, is that it was a global simultaneity, techno and it's variants especially. Also there was nothing wrong seen in mixing up styles from what on their home turf might come from quite distinct scenes*. It was one big fucking love party ;)

*Of course that's still the case and kind of what this thread is about.

but isnt that kind of whats happening now? indie kids raving etc, just in a differnt kind of way. And its awesome that there are now interesting weirdo indie girls (my favourite) girls in techno clubs, and not just for 2many djs either.

oh and shameless plug while im on it, if youre in manchester tonight come down to our monthly micron at joshua brooks, its our first birthday and we've dusty kid on. Come gawp at the wonderful tapestry that the Uk post everything dancey techno scene has mutated into haha