Whats it like on the outside looking in?

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
if im to believe turntable lab that whole sound is pretty much killing it at the minute.
You can believe them; it's all electro-house here in eastern Canada right now. I'm not at all surprised by your assessment, straight, as DJs here suffer greatly from "promo lag". Promotional copies of the majority of 12s don't hit here until they've been on Juno/beatport for 2-3 months. Just long enough for them to sound stale on your side of the pond. Not a large enough market to bother servicing properly, I suppose.

In terms of parties, we actually have quite a bit going on here; weekly club nights and big (i.e. a few hundred people) monthly all-nighters. The majority of clubs, as others have said, are American Top 40 hip hop and R 'n' B.

The more i think about, maybe the french are to blame then.
Are you sure you're not American?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I actually really like electro, am fine with a good portion of the "hipster dance" (I like Ed Banger)... just, I don't have any coke you know? And I like a lot of the booty bass that gets thrown in those sets. Sometimes you want something different though.

Please PM me about grime/dubstep in Chicago. Or anything else good. I guess Plastician is playing here in a couple weeks.

zhao

there are no accidents
i mean good weird, not kasabian fans

RaverKitty.jpg

?

more NU RAVE awesomeness here.

following images are too disturbing so i just put links here instead:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/jimmygreenup/raver.jpg
http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/~gauntlet/eg/eg2/20050616/raver-web.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m243/micbecker/raver1.jpg
http://geradon.be/2buckwhore/raver.jpg
http://www.mouseplanet.com/notebook/raver.jpg

and the ultimate:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/blrecords/raver.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fucksake zhao, you could have cleared it with me first before using that photo of me and the missus! :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
thats what the say no to drugs campaign should've used... if they weren't complete morons

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I could direct a wicked anti-drugs advert.

The video would be just be a nausating swirl of flashing coloured lights.

The soundtrack would be some really hideous psy-trance.

At the bottom of the screen, it would just say:

"This is just 30 seconds of DJ Pineal Shaman. Imagine this going on for eight hours.
SAY NO TO DRUGS."

ripley

Are you sure there weren't gay people there? ;) in SF it would just surprise me very much if a cool club was not at least 30% gay in its clientele, but I suppose anything's possible.

I have totally the opposite expectation. Both here in SF and when I was in Boston there were large numbers of gay clubs that were full of horrible music and boring people.

Cool gay clubs may be cooler than anything, but mostly it's Hi-NRG house pop. bleh.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Cool gay clubs may be cooler than anything, but mostly it's Hi-NRG house pop. bleh.

Haha, I used to live in a small midwestern town and would go to the weekly drag night just for the music, which was all the cheesiest Hi-NRG, ashlee simpson remixes, all that garbage. Definitely beat jocks rocking out to Stone Temple Pilots for the 50 thousandth time.

Edit: Ripley, isn't there some infamous scuzzy Italo nite in SF?

zhao

there are no accidents
I have totally the opposite expectation. Both here in SF and when I was in Boston there were large numbers of gay clubs that were full of horrible music and boring people.

yeah gay clubs in LA are TOTAL shit too. awful, awful music. and the straight clubs were shit too. other than the very rare few that never last long. America just sucks in general.

and what's funny is that having loved minimal for so fuckin long now that i live in Berlin it bores me to tears... :D

N

nomadologist

Huh I don't know in NYC I like gay clubs a lot better, for all sorts of reasons. The music is always better, though! I love Metropolitan in Williamsburg, they had a pretty good juke box and bbqs on Sunday afternoon.

I have never been to a club where they play house music. Ever.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
In the US wasn't it always the west coast scene that was closest to British rave? Hardkiss / Exist Dance / Hallucination et al. Particularly as there were big elements of psychedelia and breakbeat involved. Also the Burning Man crew - although that would tend towards the traveller / trance circuit I guess.

The thing about the 'numm such that it exists is that it's a phenomenon - it just happens, it's not really conscious in a sense that people try to preserve the 'nuum, except Burial maybe...

Well on the west coast there was jeno, thomas and garth with the Wicked Crew who were English immigrants who brought the rave culture here. They would have people like Dj Pierre play at their party quite often and a few Chicago Dj's moved to SF because house and rave music were accepted here in the early 90's.

I was hearing hardcore and early jungle on bay area mainstream stations at that time as well because the program directors in of the large urban stations in the US were open minded.
There were also several raves in the early 90's in SF.

Also it can't be underestimated the influence that the homosexual population in SF had on it's embrace of house music and dance music in general.

Last edited:

ripley

I have never been to a club where they play house music. Ever.

that is so funny, because to me that means you have never been to a gay club. i know you said otherwise it's just cognitive dissonance.

but on the larger issue, I agree that it really is true that electronic dance music has never caught on as widely in the USA as it did here, and so I don't think folks have the sense of what's cool or cutting edge out of dance music from elsewhere.

N

nomadologist

i know, it sounds like a weird anomaly...i'm thinking it must be because i never go to those bigger megaclubs? nyc is weird, anyway, especially if you stay below the village or in the burroughs.