don_quixote

Trent End
i'll be glad when gerrard and lampard have just fucked off to be quite honest. i'm sick of people saying gerrard shouldn't be played on the left. what the question should be is: why can't gerrard play on the left?!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
as one of the pundits refreshingly and truthfully said at half time, Germany could have been 4 or 5 up by then - the disallowed goal (which obv was a goal) is neither here nor there when you lose by three and should've lost by more. Plain truth is that England couldn't retain possession, the movement of their players was awful, and the defence was pulled out of shape again and again with ease. Germany gave them a lesson, and the last 20 mins were embarrassing - no fight.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Replay controversy in Argentina-Mexico as well. I'm generally against the use of replays, but it might be time to give it a trial at least

mixed_biscuits

Anything that takes us closer to the stoppage fest, video screen verdicts of American sports or naff teevee trump card playing, oohs and aahs of the Wimbledon challenge system is to be avoided imho.

The real scandal of this WC is the crappy ball with a mind of its own.

hucks

Your Message Here
If Schweini can move from right wing to holding mid, Gerrard can play on the left. England didn't lose today cos Gerrard was on the left.

Arg v Germany could be an absolute peach of a game.

don_quixote

Trent End
don't believe the hype about that one for me

look, it's a joke that within two seconds we could see that was a fucking mile across the line. in fact, if the linesman had a tv screen he could see it was over the line in REAL TIME. i could!! i could not believe it wasn't given long before the first replay.

secondly - they proved it in the argentina-mexico game - how much of a joke is it? the ref and linesman award the goal and before mexico kick off they see it is clearly offside on a big screen!!

we don't need to have big screens and novelty, we just need a fifth official watching the game on the telly!

don_quixote

Trent End
If Schweini can move from right wing to holding mid, Gerrard can play on the left. England didn't lose today cos Gerrard was on the left.

Arg v Germany could be an absolute peach of a game.

yeah i'd agree with that. can't wait.

look, if i was going in as england boss tomorrow i would take at least half a dozen players to one side and say thanks for your service lads, you probably won't be available for the next world cup, so in your own interest please could announce your international retirement?

and lampard and gerrard would be two of them. i feel sorry for lampard because i honestly don't think he knows how to cope playing alongside less talented players than he's used to at chelsea.

don_quixote

Trent End
maybe paolo (i think) could help me here. at chelsea i get the impression lampard is a linkman. he isn't FORCED to create chances. he works with other players to create chances - he gets the ball, he plays it quickly. whereas at england it seems like he gets the ball, has to stop, think, wonder where the movement is and then either a) gets tackled or b) has to try and force a killer pass out of nothing.

when i think of frank lampard i think of this:or the pass down the wing for this goal:
he doesn't get the chance to do this for england!!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
replay evidence was discussed here a while back - can't remember what the conclusion was, but it revolutionised rugby for the better, i think. as long as they restrict it to goalline decisions alone, cos bringing it in for offsides would be nightmarishly slow and tortuous (possibly)

i love argentina. maradona's enthusiasm is such a breath of fresh air - his bear hug of tevez was brilliant (and the news that he chats for hours with jose mourinho was hilariously cool too). sorry for mexico though - they deserved better than such a tough second round match, let laone that first 'goal'.

grizzleb

replay evidence was discussed here a while back - can't remember what the conclusion was, but it revolutionised rugby for the better, i think. as long as they restrict it to goalline decisions alone, cos bringing it in for offsides would be nightmarishly slow and tortuous (possibly)

i love argentina. maradona's enthusiasm is such a breath of fresh air - his bear hug of tevez was brilliant (and the news that he chats for hours with jose mourinho was hilariously cool too). sorry for mexico though - they deserved better than such a tough second round match, let laone that first 'goal'.
Yeah I love the way they play and he is a great coach with loads of passion. My favourite coach however is Chile's Bielsa - been reading up about him, he sounds like a total legend. Really want his team to go forward, but they haven't been able to beat Brazil (though they finished second in the qualifying group and beat Argentina). Mexico were outclassed at the end of the day, despite the poor desicions.

It was me and Woebot I think who had the exchange about the 'fifth official', I tried to find it but I couldn't. I think it should only be used in situations where goals are scored which obviously should be disallowed or allowed.

D

droid

Why would video evidence take any longer than the ref walking over to the linesman and discussing it? You have a 5th official in a room with a bunch of TV's, and a radio mic. That's it.

Too many appalling decisions in this world cup and in the run up. If a sport isn't fair, or if it doesn't at least attempt to be fair its nothing. Anyone who opposes the fifth official needs their head examined.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the first Argentine goal against the Mexicans was particularly galling (disclosure: i do love the Argies, their swashbuckling + amusing mix of often exquisite attack & occasionally glass-jawed defence) given it came against a team who were having a proper knock.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah I love the way they play and he is a great coach with loads of passion. My favourite coach however is Chile's Bielsa - been reading up about him, he sounds like a total legend. Really want his team to go forward, but they haven't been able to beat Brazil (though they finished second in the qualifying group and beat Argentina). Mexico were outclassed at the end of the day, despite the poor desicions.

It was me and Woebot I think who had the exchange about the 'fifth official', I tried to find it but I couldn't. I think it should only be used in situations where goals are scored which obviously should be disallowed or allowed.

Yep, agree with that. I think it's overwhelmingly likely a fifth official will be introduced after yesterday's shenanigans (though on Sky News this morning - I know - they were going on and on about Lampard's disallowed goal, which I found pathetic. ENGLAND LOST 4-1 FFS).

I'm not sure I'd say Mexico were outclassed, even if Argentina were certainly the better side. Mexico's goal was sublime.

I'm hoping to see Messi score the winner in the final vs Brazil, and Maradona running onto the pitch screaming "Fuck you Pele, fuck you Platini, fuck you all!"

scottdisco

rip this joint please
big shame that Chile's tempers have cost them dear w suspensions later today. if they try and kick lumps out of a tough enough Brazilian side we could have fireworks :D

BareBones

wheezy
oh well - at least we have a good under 17s team

(though surely only a matter of time before they too get grotesquely wealthy and bloated with their own hype and start caring about starring in a nike advert more than the ability to control a ball properly)

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
tumblr_l4orfuOT0l1qzpwi0o1_500.png

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
big shame that Chile's tempers have cost them dear w suspensions later today. if they try and kick lumps out of a tough enough Brazilian side we could have fireworks :D

How do you think Brazil will react if they go a goal down? I felt if Portugal had scored on Friday (which they should have done), we'd have seen an inccredible game. I'd really like to see Chile put them under pressure, and their goalkeeper told that if he does what he did on Friday (Chile were holding their own very well until then), he'll be swiftly disposed of.