Jackin' / Electroline

wise

bare BARE BONES
yeah Hidden, when I saw Matt Jam Lamont there were women literally humping the wall when a tune came on they really liked.
The last night I went to was Garage Nation at Cable. I'd always thought cable was a bit rubbish but it turned out id just been to a lot of rubbish nights there.
It was banging, with a proper up for it crowd, everyone really going for it
Swamp 81 vs Garage Nation = no contest

Last edited:

Pandiculate

i'll be playing at Eccy's party Vertigo on Saturday night somewhere in Shimokitazawa.

tumblr_miobbspo7I1r94qxno1_500.jpg

havent been shimokitazawa in over a year

gyt_o

Tokyo Jackin'
finally found a mix that does this stuff justice, mixed like I would play it, full of energy

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

This one really is great, just been listening to it on the way home :)

datwun

I still don't know if those tracks are swung enough in the hats to justify any kind of garage tag, most house has a little variation in hats. They are more swung than a lot of the stuff I found tho. Shake it is defo way more garage you're right.

Yo sorry for the late reply, had a big long one written out but then it crashed :( + busy moving to a new country and dat!

The garage thing is just like, a direct quote and recurrent theme in conversations with a bunch of the most influential jackin producers. Lorenzo has told me that he's specifically going for a garage swing in the drums. Kane's first musical love was mid 90s Nice N Ripe/Confetti records pre-speed garage garage-house, and that massively shows in the whole aesthetic, including the swung 4x4.

jimitheexploder;297610 But how is this track you posted... [url said:

any less tech house then...

which most people wouldn't have a problem calling tech house.

The hip hop samples, the big bolshy drop, the whole vibe!

To me what separates jackin from other house (bearing in mind that it is still a sub genre of house of course) would be maybe 4 major things running in order of:

1) Big, massive, oversized basslines, which take their cue first and foremost from speed garage, bassline, and electro house but also grime and jungle. And this is also where jackin is most recognisably its own thing, with the warp-donk-owl bass. This bass isn't 100% new, you can hear it underneath the mid range in old bassline tracks, and there's a proto version of it in some old speed garage tunes, but it's innovation by isolation - it zooms in on an element that was inherent in those older genres and brings it right to the forefront, recontextualising it and exploring all the possibilities that that sound has to offer. I suppose in postmodernism this focussing on /under/-explored sonic forms rather than totally new ones is about the best we can do...

2) The vybe, the sound pallet - jackin's hip hop, pop, 'ardcore and cheese that makes it so goddamn fun and so irresistible to those of us who have given in to its charms. It's the element of jackin which means tracks might just break into a Craig David chorus halfway through a track - - just because. If tech house (or UK bass, for that matter) had this sense of fun, then I'd fully back it, but it doesn't, so I don't.

What's interesting about this is the tension between jackin's absolute, unapologetic cheese, and the fact that it remains a type of house music, which still privileges 'depth', 'class' etc. It's a tension perfectly captured by the beautifully oxymoronic phrase 'deep and dirty', I've seen branded about on soundcloud and facebook.

3) the song structure - fundementally jackin is drop oriented like all /rave/ musics: garage, dubstep, 'ardcore, jungle, edm etc. as opposed to /club/ musics like most forms of house (electro excepting), which follow a structure of a more steady building and release of tension. House bubbles while jackin bangs.

4) The drums - skippy, detailed, shuffly snappy drums. Any given Lorenzo track - and lets be honest, he's the standard to measure jackin by - is bound to be more swung, more rhythmically detailed that any given 'big room', 'deep' or 'tech' house track. Yes there are jackin tunes with a very rigid 4x4, and in fact a lot of tracks are characterised by both a sharp 'neck snapping' 4x4 with a strict metronomic high hat on the off beat AND by lots of shuffly fills, fidget pops and glitches, garage swing around the edges. Jackin is bass + drums + samples, whereas for a lot of mainstream house the drums seem content to just mark time.

Shake it sounds like DJ Zinc era breakbeat garage, but tamer with more of a tech house/electro pallet of sounds, kind like DJ Zinc's Crack House era stuff which was pretty much his go at electro house to get in with Fake Blood, Erol Alkan etc.

I definitely see the influence, I get what you're getting at, but what I think you ignore is that Shake it sounds like a Lorenzo era Jackin house track as much as anything! Jackin to me provides a very neat parallel to UK funky. Both UK funky and Jackin are essentially sub-genres of UK garage - they exist very much in the space carved out by 2-step and speed garage over a decade ago. The difference is that Funky innovated the riddim section - the funky drums being essentially a reconfiguration of the 2-step beat - while Jackin innovated the bassline - the warp-donk-owl bass being just an evolution in the speed garage - bassline - UK B genealogy of bass science.

Last edited:

Pandiculate

Nice one! I'll be playing from 1:30.

Where abouts you living?

I'm in Takadanobaba, you? didn't get a chance to come last night btw, wasted way too much money Friday night!

Just got an invite on FB for the NTB event on 28th so I'll be sure to head over then!

Last edited:

gyt_o

Tokyo Jackin'
I'm in Takadanobaba, you? didn't get a chance to come last night btw, wasted way too much money Friday night!

Just got an invite on FB for the NTB event on 28th so I'll be sure to head over then!

That's a nice area man, lived there when I was on uni exchange. I'm in Ebisu these days.
Yes! come down for the NTB night! Should be great!!

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The difference is that Funky innovated the riddim section - the funky drums being essentially a reconfiguration of the 2-step beat - while Jackin innovated the bassline - the warp-donk-owl bass being just an evolution in the speed garage - bassline - UK B genealogy of bass science.

I really like this idea, especially as a north/south thing. I mean you could trace it back to bleep'n'bass/early breakbeat hardcore...

NATO

Maybe I'm not in the right mood but 'thumbs down' on that Tom Garnett mix. Not really much interesting happening there plus there's a tune that's ridiculously scouse housey, one that's exactly like fidget house and another that's so bad I could hardly bare to listen to it. It was a remix of some mournful female singer, possibly that plasticky girl that went from blond pop-wannabe to 'edgy' 50s style and referencing David Lynch, y'know-whatserchops.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've been listening to that Matthew Craig mix wise(?) recommended. I do like it quite a lot on headphones, the only thing is I often find the bits inbetween the drops much more fun than the actual drops, a lot of which sound fairly samey to me. I mean, its basically bassline house drops, so wobbles.

I do like the sense of humour in it - e.g. there's one tune that samples an emotive female vocalist (Winehouse maybe?) and stretches it out before the drop, and then right before the big circus bassline comes in you get Fiddy sped-up rapping ''it's ya birthday!'' I think this is sort of what datwun(?) was saying about jackin' vs. tech house, in that that's the sort of cheeky/silly thing you'd never expect in more po-faced house scenes. The flip-side of this is you get bloody Arctic Monkeys meets Bassline House tunes. I think for the cheese-phobic this is the sort of thing you just accept as being necessary to a 'ardcore' scenes vitality - the freedom to do that sort of thing.

The tune that samples Drake ''Forever'' is so good - it's this Lorenzo and Cold Cuts tune Fuckin' banger

wise

bare BARE BONES
that's annoying, a couple of those have just come out on bigtunes and I bought them yesterday
Big tunes tho

continuum

smugpolice

^^ feeling that one wise

Here's a few more goodens that don't think have been posted yet:

Abeyance & Danny Haigh - Rattle
Starts off pretty standard but then sick bass riddim at the drop.

Dave Fogg - Believe Me
Think Dave Fogg is a regular at 2:31, certainly was at the one datwun, jambie and I went to. Not so in your face but has dutty bass still.

Chris Gresswell, Paul Lawrence & Craig Price
Love the bass on this one. Chris Gresswell + Paul Lawrence = danger. Similar to one of my favourite tunes of the year so far Craig Price & Paul Lawrence - Everywhere I Turn.

Brent Kilner & Jordan Hey - Sick Of You
Brent Kilner is Nick Hamman young and over the last 6 months has really developed as a producer. He's already been mentioned up thread but he comes with an unusually dark Jackin' tune here which really stands out.

Fresh DJs feat Aggz - Nasty Girl
The sax on this tune is proper cheesy but works so well. Best bit though is Aggz lyrics dissin nasty girls.

continuum

smugpolice

More like that please wise. Don't think there is enough of the darker sound in Jackin' personally and could end up teetering off the Happy Hardcore cliff if not careful.

The Souncloud description of the Skanks tune you posted says that remix is by Enigma Dubz. Suddenly thought of a tune by them I bought off BigTunes not long ago that I love playing because it has that darker vibe:

wise

bare BARE BONES
it's the hybrid theory remix actually, there are plenty of darker vibed jackin tunes, I reckon there's a good mix of releases, it's just that the darker/dancehall tunes don't seem to get played as much

Last edited: