The Queen is Dead!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't feel like I'm "playing both sides" - I'm anti-monarchy but I only work to pay the rent, and if I can get a day off if an old crone kicks the bucket then I can't really be blamed for taking advantage.. not that it'll be much of a holiday because everything will be closed "out of respect" so I'll just get wasted over the weekend and sleep it off on the "holiday"...
Which, in itself, is highly fitting and appropriate - respectful, even - given that it's the most authentically British thing you could do.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@boxedjoy beat me to it but

I posted that because it was just so ridiculous to suggest that the monarchy had some kind of hand in causing them all to happen. I understand their influence isn't literally zero, but to consider a counterfactual, how differently would the course of the last 70 years have turned out if the UK had become a republic in 1952? It's hardly as if a country needs a monarchy to engage in imperialism, colonialism, or general shitty behaviour, or oppress its own minorities, or to have an elite. Look at France, or the USA, or the USSR, or post-Soviet Russia, or China - all republics. And if we'd got rid of them, the same powerful interests would still exist. Our press would still be owned by the same Murdochs, Rothermeres, Barclays and Lebedevs. It would be symbolic step in the right direction, I think, but I don't share sufi's conviction that E-lizard-breath II was the world's primary agent of evil.

As I said, she watched it happen. They're hardly anti-military are they? Both lads served their time and made that very public etc. Getting rid of the institution is a necessary symbolic gesture to show that the UK wants to move on and evolve from that shit. If you're going to be on the money, of the UK and several other nations and give speeches at Christmas and show up at the good events as a mascot for what the country stands for.. then when that same country goes abroad and slaughters a bunch of foreigns you also represent that and if you and your cohorts have no actual say in any of those matters whatsoever then you're not really much of a ruler, are you? So either shit or get off the fucking throne.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I definitely don't get people who say that they separate queen the person and the figurehead... and then go on to say that the queen the person is wonderful, kind, special, unique, hardworking, selfless etc etc all things of which I see absolutely no evidence whatsoever and I find it very hard to believe they do either. It's a bizarre projection, seeing what they so much want to be true.

Yes, being distinct from the queen the institution does insulate her to some extent from being guilty of whatever that represents and reminds us that she is not responsible for the accident of birth that made her who she is, but it doesn't magically make her a saint.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@boxedjoy beat me to it but

As I said, she watched it happen. They're hardly anti-military are they? Both lads served their time and made that very public etc. Getting rid of the institution is a necessary symbolic gesture to show that the UK wants to move on and evolve from that shit. If you're going to be on the money, of the UK and several other nations and give speeches at Christmas and show up at the good events as a mascot for what the country stands for.. then when that same country goes abroad and slaughters a bunch of foreigns you also represent that and if you and your cohorts have no actual say in any of those matters whatsoever then you're not really much of a ruler, are you? So either shit or get off the fucking throne.
For a moment reading this I was like, hang on, how can the queen be in the wrong if she was always on the mone-.... ohhh, I get it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
IMG-20220910-WA0000.jpg

Meghan is such a selfish ungrateful bitch; after this country welcomed her with open arms and she was treated so kindly by all the papers even though she is black, after the queen and every member of our glorious royal family showed her nothing but love, she responds by letting herself be photoshopped into a t-shirt mocking the beloved mother of our nation. She also might or might not wear it for the funeral (I emailed her to confirm/deny and no response so I fear the worst) after driving up in a pink limousine blaring out Ding Dong The Witch is Dead. If she does that then, it goes without saying, she should certainly be executed, but I believe she should be punished either way for putting this disgustingly blasphemous idea into my head.

IdleRich

IdleRich
View attachment 12833

Meghan is such a selfish ungrateful bitch; after this country welcomed her with open arms and she was treated so kindly by all the papers even though she is black, after the queen and every member of our glorious royal family showed her nothing but love, she responds by letting herself be photoshopped into a t-shirt mocking the beloved mother of our nation. She also might or might not wear it for the funeral after driving up in a pink limousine blaring out Ding Dong The Witch is Dead. If she does that then, it goes without saying, she should certainly be executed, but I believe she should be punished either for putting that idea into my head.

martin

----
Dear Martin,

We are deeply saddened of the passing of Her Majesty The Queen last week, and send our condolences to the Royal Family. It is an extraordinary achievement to have presided with such dignity and grace for 70 years. She was loved and admired by the people in the United Kingdom and all around the world. She will be remembered for her dedication, her diplomacy and good humour.

As a valued member of Press Gazette’s network, we would like to offer you a complimentary ticket for the Future of Media Technology Conference on Wednesday 21 September at The Waldorf Hilton, London!

Register here ->